• back to WDW in January

Soarin' Queue Updates Are Active

If anyone has been recently and can confirm this, please do but I hear that in the Soarin queue, the five new large screens that were previously installed have been activated and are running different interactive games such as a landscape game, a paint balls picture game, a bird racing game that spans the screens and a ball game that also spans the screens.
    Again, verification and details would be appreciated.

• Why can't you tune a fish

Re: Soarin' Queue Updates Are Active

It was not happening as of a week ago (Last Friday night)

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

• back to WDW in January

Again, if anyone has experienced this please post what you thought.

I heard that the technology was actually developed by a company called PlayMotion - here is a link to their site: http://www.playmotion.com/

And here is an article from the Orlando Sentinel regarding the new queue:

Walt Disney World's Epcot theme park has unveiled its new, interactive video games for visitors waiting in line to ride Soarin'.
    The games opened last week, offering a test of emerging entertainment technology produced by Walt Disney Imagineering. Using motion-detection equipment, heat sensors and computer-generated videos shown on huge screens, the games allow groups of strangers to play games together while waiting in line.
    In a demonstration Thursday, one crowd was so caught up in trying to lead an animated bird through a computer-animated forest that many of the people did not notice for several minutes that a large gap had opened in the line in front of them.
    The bird, and the characters in other games, are computer-directed based on which direction people lean, and many people were yelling, in unison, "lean left!" and "lean right!" while trying to lead the bird through the forest.
    Last edited by tjcjr; 07-09-2007 at 05:34 AM.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Is that why the wait time was at 115 minutes last Saturday? That explains a lot.

• back to WDW in January

Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Is that why the wait time was at 115 minutes last Saturday? That explains a lot.
    the cynical side of me says that could easily have been the case and makes me wonder if this could also cause crowd control problems with people overly anxious to get a chance to play the games.

• "There's always my way"

this is a good idea while waiting in lines but if this leads to longer wait times, then someone really didnt do their homework. You know, they could have expanded the show building and added some more theatres instead to reduce wait times!

"Since the dawn of recorded time, communication has revolutionized our lives and changed our world. We now have the ability and the responsability to build new bridges of acceptance and cooperation between us. To create a better world for ourselves and our children as we continue our amazing journey aboard Spaceship Earth." - Jeremy Irons (Spaceship Earth)

• If We Can Dream It...

Everything I've read has indicated that most folks, who've seen it in person, feel that it's fun but, doesn't belong in Soarin's queue. Many have also said that they would of preferred that Disney kept the trivia screens and done something further up in the queue(in the winding tannish-color part).

From what I've seen in video, I'm not too happy with it, it's a great concept but, once again doesn't follow the Epcot "code". The trivia screens gave knowledge and tied Soarin' into the Land pavilion better. The games are just....well...games.

I'll have to wait until my trip next year to get a solid opinion on it but, as of now, I'm disappointed.

You can also see the latest Mousetimes podcast for some footage of the "new" queue.
    - Horizonsfan

• Beware of Mutant Mickey!

Well, I ran down today to check it all out.

Here is the whole setup (on it's Idle screen):

Here is a group playing the bouncy ball game:
    (the white outlines are everybody in line, if you move, those parts of you turn colors and affect the game. Those standing still do not affect the gameplay.)

Blob Game:

Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tjcjr View Post
    the cynical side of me says that could easily have been the case and makes me wonder if this could also cause crowd control problems with people overly anxious to get a chance to play the games.
    It turns out they did think this through!

They have a new stop point:

and the CM running it has control of this:
    (They don't run the games when they want to move the line)
    Also, they can deactivate the far screens if the line isn't back to them.

On the Technical side:
    Here are the projectors, there are 2 on each screen, a backup I believe:

Here is the thermal camera and the infrared (sp?) spot lights around it:

There ya go, enjoy!

Best hold on to Your Hats and Glasses, 'cause this heres the Wildest Ride in the Wilderness!

• Disney Dreams

Sounds like fun!

But thank God for fastpasses!

• Beware of Mutant Mickey!

Quote Originally Posted by WDWGirl View Post
    But thank God for fastpasses!
    Oh yeah?
    I forgot to mention that Today while I was out taking all these pics, there was no FastPass, because they are down for the upgrade, and it only took a half-hour to go from almost back to the entrance to ride.

Best hold on to Your Hats and Glasses, 'cause this heres the Wildest Ride in the Wilderness!

• Disney Dreams

Quote Originally Posted by naumoney View Post
    Oh yeah?
    I forgot to mention that Today while I was out taking all these pics, there was no FastPass, because they are down for the upgrade, and it only took a half-hour to go from almost back to the entrance to ride.
    Oh! Out of fastpasses... my family probably wouldn't have waited, only because my mom would never believe it'd be such a short wait