Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• Defying gravity

Re: Watch the Epcot Wand Come Down!

Quote Originally Posted by Club 33 View Post
    Nope. Just post it as an image (like any other image).

And no commentary is necessarily implied here; it's just a for fun thing.
    I'm still confused. How does this work???

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheDisneyInquisitor View Post
    I completely agree. Now personally, I like the wand. But I can't see losing sleep about it whether it stays up or comes down. Many people use the excuse that it was only supposed to be a temporary structure for that celebration.... but that is a lie. Both the Wand and Hat were meant to last for 7-9 years, not just one. We have all seen that the structure was not made cheaply (how many hurricanes has it lasted through without a scratch?) Now at the end of the day, the wand will have lasted just shy of 8 years. It is not being removed because people hate it (truth be told, once you step outside the borders of the web community, the majority either likes it to some extent or couldn't care less either way). It is not being removed because of complaints, money or petitions. It is being removed because its lifespan has reached the end. It was going to be taken down no matter what sometime in the next few years, so why not just tie it in with the attraction already being down for an extended time and just about to celebrate its 25th birthday?
    Just because a structure is temporary does not mean that it is built poorly. There are many temporary scructures that have outlived their intended installation.

Because many might be apathetic is a lousy argument. Many people live in ugly houses and decorate them poorly. Many people shop at Wal*Mart. Consensus really has nothing to do with good design work.

• In Technicolor!

I'm in-

until it bores me.
    These are the games that never end.

• Know More Than You Should

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPrincess4590 View Post
    I'm still confused. How does this work???
    In the sig editor, just hit the little image button (it is a small graphic of mountains) and paste the following URL into the popup that comes up:

http://www.carouselofmagic.com/epcotwand/epcotwand.php

• Phred of Tomorrow

Hmm, it was working for me earlier, but now it gives nothing. Do you have a bandwidth limit on your site?

Quote Originally Posted by RoboPhred View Post
    Hmm, it was working for me earlier, but now it gives nothing. Do you have a bandwidth limit on your site?
    Well, yes, I do, but I'm far from hitting that point...

Not sure what the deal is. Seems to be something in the code... the HTTP request fails every now and again. Just reload the page once or twice and it should be up again.

For those curious who know PHP, here's the code behind this:

PHP Code:

<?php

header 
    ("Content-type: image/jpeg"); 

$a file_get_contents ('http://www.aws.com/wxcomm/commercial/ccam.asp?sid=LKBNV&siz=l');

$url substr($astrpos($a'http://instacam.com/'));
    $url substr($url0strpos($url'"'));

$date date("l\, F jS\, Y");

$background imagecreatefromjpeg($url); 

$skin $_GET["image"];

if(
    $skin == "1")

$insert imagecreatefrompng("http://www.carouselofmagic.com/epcotwand/images/skin1.png");
    else if(
    $skin == "2")

$insert imagecreatefrompng("http://www.carouselofmagic.com/epcotwand/images/skin2.png");
    else if(
    $skin == "3")

$insert imagecreatefrompng("http://www.carouselofmagic.com/epcotwand/images/skin3.png");
    else

$insert imagecreatefrompng("http://www.carouselofmagic.com/epcotwand/images/random.php");

imagecolortransparent($insert,imagecolorat($insert,205,64));

$insert_x imagesx($insert); 
    $insert_y imagesy($insert); 

$image imagecreatefromjpeg("http://www.carouselofmagic.com/epcotwand/background.jpg");

imagecopy($image$background14111379266150150);

imagecopymerge($image,$insert,0,0,0,0,$insert_x,$insert_y,100); 

$color imagecolorallocate($image255255255);
    imagestring($image1150145$date$color);

imagejpeg($image,"",100); 

?>

• Bionic Village Babe/RCMC

Thanks for this, it's pretty fun to see

Bionic Village Babe of the RCMC
    "Wisdom is knowing what you don't know" - Socrates

It is not being removed because of complaints, money or petitions. It is being removed because its lifespan has reached the end. It was going to be taken down no matter what sometime in the next few years, so why not just tie it in with the attraction already being down for an extended time and just about to celebrate its 25th birthday?
    I hate to keep correcting you, Mikey, because I feel like I'm kicking a cute 'wittle puppy.

But since you're not cute like a puppy well ...

The wand is being removed for two reasons: because Siemens doesn't want it on top of its attraction and because new Epcot VP Jim MacPhee agrees that it's tacky and was OK for the Millennium but has long since past the time it should have been removed and he wants to assert his power.

That's really it.

That's what's going in inside Team Disney.

Oh, and there was also no guarantee it was going to be taken down at any point in the near future. It was budgeted to stay up until late 2009 and it could have stayed up well beyond.

• is satisfactual.

I'd hate to dumb down a fascinating discussion, but I'm glad it's coming down as well. The Epcot sign on top looks like a logo for a toothpaste brand.

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974 View Post
    The wand is being removed for two reasons: because Siemens doesn't want it on top of its attraction and because new Epcot VP Jim MacPhee agrees that it's tacky and was OK for the Millennium but has long since past the time it should have been removed and he wants to assert his power.
    All animal analogies aside, everything I've heard since the time it came up was that it was meant to last (budgeted, whatever you wish to call it) for 7-9 years (placing its end date around 2006-2008). And I haven't heard this mentioned by any Joe Schmoe, but rather people who would actually know. Now of course, they could have kept it up longer, but Disney seems to (in these cases) pick the cheaper option (which, to me would be taking it down), which would also create the double effect of also appearing to give the attraction a fresh look that could be marketed.

As for Jim, all I've seen Jim say was "We think the timing of the removal is right," which, well, it is. The decision would had to have been made sometime soon over whether to take it down or keep it up, and what better time than the attraction going on a multi-month extreme refurb to take it down (and convieniently right before the park's 25th)? Has he made any other comments about the structure that I may have missed? As for Siemens, companies don't sponsor attractions to do what they like. They're in it for the advertising and money & brand recognition that comes with it, so they would usually do what they think the people want. So at most, I can see Siemens saying "Disney fanatics keep complaining about it. If it comes down under our watch they will like us all the more." On that part I could be wrong, but I just can't see the CEO of Siemens caring all that much about the structure. But just a related question to anyone, does Siemens have direct say over the Wand, or does Disney have the final say?
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• KING OF CABMF'S

That webcam looks pretty cool, i think im going to use it for my siggie
    ADD ME.[:

WHAT I'VE LEARNED FROM MICECHAT...
    1. IF YOU APPRECIATE SOMETHING THAT ISN'T THE MAJORITY OPINION, YOU'RE NOT WANTED HERE.
    2. IF THERE'S CHIPPED PAINT IN THE QUEUE FOR A LINE, EXPECT SOMEONE TO WRITE OUT A BIG STORY BASHING IT. WOOHOO.
    3. IF YOU'RE UNDER THE AGE OF 24, YOU'RE AN 'EISNER BRAT.'
    4. PEOPLE WHO ARE DEEMED AS 'MODERATORS' AND OTHER ADMINISTRATION ARE MORE IMPORTANT DIETIES THAN JESUS CHRIST.
    5. YOU CAN EXCPECT TO BE BADLY REPPED IF YOU TRY AND MAKE A SERIOUS POINT.
    6. YOU ARENT TAKEN SERIOUS IF YOU'RE UNDER THE AGE OF 16.
    7. AS AN ADD-ON TO #6, YOU SHOULD BE TREATED AS A SUBORDINATEIF YOU ARE IN A THEME PARK WAITING 30 MINUTES IN LINE FOR A DRINK WHILE SOMEONE HAS TO RECOUNT PIZZAS.
    8. "Disney may not care to hear your comments, but we do." WTFFF??? THIS ISN'T A DISNEY FAN FORUM, IT'S A DISNETY BASHING SITE.
    9. CERTAIN PEOPLE OVER ANALYZE A SIMPLE THREAD AND CONSIDER IT TO BE A CONTRACT FULL OF LOOPHOLES THAT HE/SHE CAN GET AROUND.
    AND FINALLY...
    10. PROLONGED USE OF THIS SITE CAN CAUSE AN EXTREME HATE OF DISNEY AND ALL DISNEY RELATED THINGS.

M-U-H Muhfukka.
    [:

All animal analogies aside, everything I've heard since the time it came up was that it was meant to last (budgeted, whatever you wish to call it) for 7-9 years (placing its end date around 2006-2008). And I haven't heard this mentioned by any Joe Schmoe, but rather people who would actually know. Now of course, they could have kept it up longer, but Disney seems to (in these cases) pick the cheaper option (which, to me would be taking it down), which would also create the double effect of also appearing to give the attraction a fresh look that could be marketed.

As for Jim, all I've seen Jim say was "We think the timing of the removal is right," which, well, it is. The decision would had to have been made sometime soon over whether to take it down or keep it up, and what better time than the attraction going on a multi-month extreme refurb to take it down (and convieniently right before the park's 25th)? Has he made any other comments about the structure that I may have missed? As for Siemens, companies don't sponsor attractions to do what they like. They're in it for the advertising and money & brand recognition that comes with it, so they would usually do what they think the people want. So at most, I can see Siemens saying "Disney fanatics keep complaining about it. If it comes down under our watch they will like us all the more." On that part I could be wrong, but I just can't see the CEO of Siemens caring all that much about the structure. But just a related question to anyone, does Siemens have direct say over the Wand, or does Disney have the final say?
    Mikey, I'll take my facts over your theories any day ... and I don't know for certain but I've been told Siemens wanting the wand removed was part of the deal when they took over sponsorship, so it likely was in the contracts.

Quote Originally Posted by evanescence4ever View Post
    That webcam looks pretty cool, i think im going to use it for my siggie
    Just so you know- the image URL changes every time on the webcam. So the image in your sig wont update, but will always stay the same. Eventually it will be broken as they delete the images after a certain amount of time.

Mine goes and grabs the latest image each time you load it.

• KING OF CABMF'S

Quote Originally Posted by Club 33 View Post
    Just so you know- the image URL changes every time on the webcam. So the image in your sig wont update, but will always stay the same. Eventually it will be broken as they delete the images after a certain amount of time.

Mine goes and grabs the latest image each time you load it.
    well, i dont know how to do that, but i dont want to, because the wand is going to taken down soon.
    i dont wand a wandless SSE
    that is why i copied it to my pictures.
    ADD ME.[:

WHAT I'VE LEARNED FROM MICECHAT...
    1. IF YOU APPRECIATE SOMETHING THAT ISN'T THE MAJORITY OPINION, YOU'RE NOT WANTED HERE.
    2. IF THERE'S CHIPPED PAINT IN THE QUEUE FOR A LINE, EXPECT SOMEONE TO WRITE OUT A BIG STORY BASHING IT. WOOHOO.
    3. IF YOU'RE UNDER THE AGE OF 24, YOU'RE AN 'EISNER BRAT.'
    4. PEOPLE WHO ARE DEEMED AS 'MODERATORS' AND OTHER ADMINISTRATION ARE MORE IMPORTANT DIETIES THAN JESUS CHRIST.
    5. YOU CAN EXCPECT TO BE BADLY REPPED IF YOU TRY AND MAKE A SERIOUS POINT.
    6. YOU ARENT TAKEN SERIOUS IF YOU'RE UNDER THE AGE OF 16.
    7. AS AN ADD-ON TO #6, YOU SHOULD BE TREATED AS A SUBORDINATEIF YOU ARE IN A THEME PARK WAITING 30 MINUTES IN LINE FOR A DRINK WHILE SOMEONE HAS TO RECOUNT PIZZAS.
    8. "Disney may not care to hear your comments, but we do." WTFFF??? THIS ISN'T A DISNEY FAN FORUM, IT'S A DISNETY BASHING SITE.
    9. CERTAIN PEOPLE OVER ANALYZE A SIMPLE THREAD AND CONSIDER IT TO BE A CONTRACT FULL OF LOOPHOLES THAT HE/SHE CAN GET AROUND.
    AND FINALLY...
    10. PROLONGED USE OF THIS SITE CAN CAUSE AN EXTREME HATE OF DISNEY AND ALL DISNEY RELATED THINGS.

M-U-H Muhfukka.
    [:

Blog Entries

Is that a Crane I see or is Epcot just happy to see me?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast