Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

• Know More Than You Should

Watch the Epcot Wand Come Down! (Merged Threads)

As many of you know, there used to be live webcams in each of the Walt Disney World theme parks, accessible from the WDW website.

After 9/11, the cameras were taken off line (no one is 100% sure why).

A few kinda/sorta webcams have popped up since then. There's the MatterCam at Disneyland, and the interesting Fake Magic Kingdom Webcam.

I'm sure many of you have also seen this webcam, which sits atop the Dolphin hotel and is notable because Spaceship Earth is clearly visible.

What with the Epcot Wand on SSE finally being removed as of 7/8/07, those of us not fortunate enough to witness the removal in person would no doubt be watching the cam. So I figured why not have a little fun, and do something you can put in your forum signature on various Disney websites?

So I created a little PHP widget, which goes and grabs the webcam image, crops it to show Spaceship Earth, and then puts a nice little wrapper image around it with the date.

Here is the widget. It loads as an image, and comes in three flavors, and chooses one randomly every time the image loads.

Enjoy. Hopefully my server can handle the bandwidth (I guess we'll see!)

• When Will It Return?

Re: Watch the Epcot Wand Come Down!

The attitudes around this wand never fail to amuse me. Seriously, it's not the Castle Cake or anything, what's the big deal if it goes or not?

-- PMM

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by PeoplemoverMatt View Post
    The attitudes around this wand never fail to amuse me. Seriously, it's not the Castle Cake or anything, what's the big deal if it goes or not?

-- PMM
    Beacuse it is a symbol of Micheal D(evil) Eisner's tyranny and the era of consultants and "executive vps"

-- PMM
    You have a point Matt. And I actually didn't think the Castle Cake was that bad myself. It's all a matter of taste.

And really, if it was just the wand, it wouldn't really be that big of a deal. It's just one of many shortcuts and short-term ideas that have degraded the quality of the resort of the whole... declining by degrees, as Kevin Yee says. This is just such a large and obvious one, people tend to put all of their angst about the whole thing towards it.

Plus, it's just a bad idea. It does kind of cheapen the image of Epcot (along with other things, such as Innoventions), and is just another case of Disney being cheap in leaving up what was clearly meant to be a temporary structure.

Plus it's kind of cool knowing that, in all likelihood, Disney wouldn't have taken it down (and certainly wouldn't have bothered to publicly say they were doing so) if Disney fans hadn't complained about it.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Club 33 View Post
    You have a point Matt. And I actually didn't think the Castle Cake was that bad myself.
    At least the castle cake was temporary.

The Castle cake was not bad, they just left it up way too long having extended the 25th anniversary celebration twice. My family visited 2 years in a row during that time in December, and both times the castle was a cake. The first year it was expected, the second year, well we were expecting the normal castle.

Yes it was temporary, but then again the wand at Epcot was also supposed to be temporary (Millennium Celebration) as was Mickey's Toontown (Mickey's Birthdayland when it opened), and the hat at Disney-MGM Studios (Walt Disney's 100th birthday celebration).

I understand why the hat is still there, it's partly a legal thing to hide the Chinese Theater, and I don't mind that so much as it is a good icon for the park. The wand on the other hand, ruins the look of Spaceship Earth, and makes the building less majestic than it really is.

• Married and happy again!!

Quote Originally Posted by SpokkerJones View Post
    At least the castle cake was temporary.
    Exactly! And I did like the Castle Cake anyway as did my entire family. But at least when the celebration done it was gone. If after 2000 celebration was over and the wand came down no complaints (at least from me) would have been made.
    Last edited by Jessicalover; 07-09-2007 at 04:00 PM.
    Micechatter #5053 Looking for our new home in the WDW area! We need to get closer to our "Laughing Place"!

• Little Miss Sunshine

The castle cake was bad. (IMHO)

I just hope they don't have any pink paint left over to bathe Spaceship Earth for it's 25th!

I should be down there tomorrow anyway, I will probably check out SE and see what is going on (if anything) at that time.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

Blog Entries

Seriously, it's not the Castle Cake or anything, what's the big deal if it goes or not?
    Because to those of us who love Epcot, it is worse than the Castle Cake. The Castle Cake was ugly, but it was only up for a very short amount of time. So while I feel sorry for those who visited during that time frame and had to see that, we can now look back at it and say it was kind of funny and unique even though we never want to see it again.

I actually liked the wand when it first went up for the millenium celebration. I thought it was unique and an interesting way to mark the year 2000. It was when it became a "permanent" fixture over SSE that the angst began. Had it been taken down after the millenium I'd probably look back at it fondly, but it was like a relative who overstays their welcome at your house. While you enjoy having them around for a few hours, after it becomes several days you're ready to see them go.

• We're number one!

I'm sorry but I feel a little computer dumb right now. How exactly does this work? Do we just save the picture, or do we download this somewhere? Please explain.

• Purple Crates ♥

The widget doesn't seem to be working atm, but what's neat about that web cam, is that you can set it to go back in time. Set it for two days ago, increments of 5 minutes and you can see the days progress...kinda cool

• Disney Memory Maker

-- PMM
    I completely agree. Now personally, I like the wand. But I can't see losing sleep about it whether it stays up or comes down. Many people use the excuse that it was only supposed to be a temporary structure for that celebration.... but that is a lie. Both the Wand and Hat were meant to last for 7-9 years, not just one. We have all seen that the structure was not made cheaply (how many hurricanes has it lasted through without a scratch?) Now at the end of the day, the wand will have lasted just shy of 8 years. It is not being removed because people hate it (truth be told, once you step outside the borders of the web community, the majority either likes it to some extent or couldn't care less either way). It is not being removed because of complaints, money or petitions. It is being removed because its lifespan has reached the end. It was going to be taken down no matter what sometime in the next few years, so why not just tie it in with the attraction already being down for an extended time and just about to celebrate its 25th birthday?
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• e komo mai

I'm glad to see the wand come down. It didn't make much sense in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by SpookyBear View Post
    I'm sorry but I feel a little computer dumb right now. How exactly does this work? Do we just save the picture, or do we download this somewhere? Please explain.
    Nope. Just post it as an image (like any other image).

And no commentary is necessarily implied here; it's just a for fun thing.

Castle Cake > Epcot Wand

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast