Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

• Disney Memory Maker

TDI's Complete 13-Day Trip Report

Okay, I just back from the world (okay, not "just", but close enough), and I've got my trip report ready. I stood at the Beach Club Villas from 6/24-7-6. As the title says, this will be the complete trip report as I've already have everything typed out (unlike last year where I never finished the last few days). Interspersed within the report is a TDI edition of "Tip of the Hat, Wag of the Finger" (for all you Colbert fans). So may the trip report begin.......

Day 1
    First off, a Tip of the hat to Disney’s Magical Express. I had a funny driver, the HCoE-less video was fun & the service was flawless. We got to the Beach Club and was able to get a room right away (despite it being only 11am). I unfortunately have to give the Beach Club Villa’s a wag of the finger for its isolated and odd pavilion. While we got lucky with a room right by the entrance, a room anywhere else would have been a very long walk from the busses or lake. Overall, the BCV is nice, but I like the Boardwalk (resort-wise) so much better.

Nice Decor

Like I said though, I was lucky though that the room was right by the BCV entrance. A tip of the hat though to the room design. While obviously it can’t match the large rooms at Old Key West, it is definitely better than the Boardwalk both in layout and design.

Flourishy Fairy Wings fit in quite well

Anywho, we went to the Studios by boat. Which, speaking of, I have to give a Tip of the Hat to the Year of Million Dreams….. For not advertising it in every possible place. With MG, 100YOM & HCoE, banners were hung from every light pole on property….. not so with YoaMD. I only saw that wooshie purple design sparingly (looks nice on the monorail to). In fact, the only physical mention of YoaMD I could find was monorail fronts (everything else said “Where Dreams Come True”).

Moving back to the Studios, I have to give a Wag of the Finger to the absence of any Star Wars characters. Unlike last time - also the last day in the celebration - I did not see one SW character walking around.

This theater has to come back into service

We got a FP for Indy (why, I don’t know) and got something to eat at at the Backlot Express (which was packed). Indy was nice (better at night though) and went to ST. While I like SW, I’m not a huge fan (heck, I haven’t even seen Sith yet). ST is just centered way too much on SW nostalgia and the simulator itself just doesn’t seem all that amazing or thrilling to me.

After that, I saw the movie at ABC Theater, which, by the way, needs to be used again, it’s so big. As for the film itself, it was interesting but a bit too long for me. Went to RnRC next…. Mostly to check out the new queue formation and to waste time before the next Jedi Academy. I give a big Tip of the Hat to removing the never-used indoor queue portion and seamlessly incorporating a single-riders line. The FP & SB lines are also much improved (and yes…. More time in the AC). It started to rain and lightning so I left the park knowing that the next Jedi Academy would almost definitely be canceled.

I went directly to Magic Kingdom (couldn’t go back to hotel because the boats weren’t operating and there was no way I was walking). So a nice Tip of the Hat to the new bus features. The new monorail man did a much better job on the busses than the monorail. I liked the display sign and the concept of playing background music, though the going-back-to-the-hotel music is just depressing. However, a big wag-of-the-finger to using non-Disney busses as fill-ins.

Nope, he's not beating anyone up today

My timing was quite bad as there was too much time before dinner reservations to just sit around, but too little time to actually be able to do anything. So instead, I just wandered around the kingdom. PotC was having Technical Difficulties. After walking around I hit the TTA and went to the Crystal Palace (if I had thought harder…. I would have seen the CoP instead of just wandering around). Dinner was great (damn there cookies are good ).

We got FP for JC and went to Pirates (this time minus the Technical Difficulties). Of course everything was great with Pirates. Amazing how an updated score, addition of new characters and some new effects here and there can completely change my opinion of the ride.

Jungle Cruise was absolutely hysterical. The lady I had hit the jokes just right. And it wasn’t just what jokes she told (most were the traditional script), but rather how she told it that was hysterical. And the original jokes she did bring were also hysterical.

Castle at Night

Went to Big Thunder and then got a spot for Wishes near Center Street. Something I love about Wishes is the consistent response it gets. I can see it any day and choreograph the audience’s “Ooooh”s and “Wow”s to a tee. Anyways, Wishes was great, but then I had the unfortunate task of getting back up Main Street to Adventureland (not fun).

Crappy pic of Splash at Night

Went on Splash which was great, and I got soaked, mostly on the slow trip around the bottom of the main drop. Now a mixture Tip & Wag to the Adventureland/Frontierland bathroom for not taking Stitch’s voice (still can’t quite tell if it’s creepy or funny).

On this magic night....

I saw most of Spectro (glad to see that big volcano/monster/fantasia guy is back). After hearing so much about them, I decided to have my very first Dole Whip and found it to be quite delicious (though I still prefer Auntie Gravity’s Sundae to the Dole Whip).

Vanilla Whip

I crossed Main Street and decided to try Monsters Inc Laugh Floor, which brings me to a giant Wag of the Finger to the Laugh floor… for being so adorable. The show was hysterical and storywise/jokewise very good. Sure, the animation wasn’t perfect and the lip syncing was sporadically out of wack…. but I can overlook that. I also like that this is the type of attraction that can be changed (script-wise) fairly easily. And unlike Turtle Talk, at no point was I thinking about the technology behind it.

MILF sign looks great, especially at night

I headed over to Space which was fun of course, though I’d like to see it return to “the” attraction status back when FedEx was around and it had all the pre-show videos and all. I was going to hit Philharmagic, but I was too tired, so I caught the bus back to the hotel.

Day two Coming Soon™.....
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• Disney Memory Maker

Re: TDI's Complete 13-Day Trip Report

Day 2
    I woke up at 8:30 which was a dumb idea as I was tired all day. Went to Epcot and attempted to have breakfast at Electric Umbrella (love their French Toast Sticks) only to learn they stopped serving breakfast . Instead, I wet to the Universe of Energy (which had a nice crowd for that early in the morning). I wish every Future World pavilion blasted their music like UoE does. I got breakfast at one of the carts ($3 for a croissant?). I had a croissant and a strawberry smoothie. Tip of the hat for Future World West having the same smoothies as Old Key West.

Went to SSE next. Project Tomorrow looks great. While I didn’t actually stop to do anything today the whole area looks great. A definite improvement over the New Global Neighborhood (and the announcement of it during the ride is actually bearable). While I certainly think a refurbishment will be great (Siemens has been on a roll), I will very much miss the music, narration, sights and smells of the current version. Also, found out I’ve been pronouncing the company’s name wrong this whole time (I said S-eye-mens instead of Sea-mens).

At this point it was a toss-up between Soarin’ or Test Track (single rider), I opted for Soarin’ to check out the queue process. Sign said 75 minutes…. actual wait was about 25 minutes. The queue will definitely be interesting when it completely reopens. All the giant pictures are gone, replaced by projection screens (confirming at least part of Screamscape’s rumors). Right now they have the standby-line move into the FastPass line at the giant-pictures section and at the same time the FastPass line move into the never-used Single Rider line. When we get to the blue-swirly room, both lines merge back to the normal configuration.

I went to go get lunch at Seasons, but they seemed too expensive for me for lunch. Remembering how much I loved China’s Lo-mein last year, I decided to go to China for lunch. A Tip of the Hat for the new electronic menu screens in Lotus Blossom….. nice to actually see the food before buying it. But a Wag of the Finger for the new menus at Lotus Blossom. They took off my two favorite items, the Lo-Mein and the Shanghai something.

Not liking anything enough on the new menu, I decided to get a Strawberry Shortcake at America….. if they had one. If not, I would get an Apple Pie. After all… how could they not have Apple Pie? Well, a wag at the Liberty Inn for not having Strawberry Shortcake or Apple Pies. I’m sorry, but the phrase is American as Apple Pie…. not Apple cobbler. I got over it fast though and had a salad & apple cobbler.

Luckily enough for me, I just made the next showing of the American Adventure…. A gargantuan tip of the hat to that attraction. The new footage is simply beautiful. It is amazing that by just adding some clips to the end, they turned a very good show into a great show. I loved how not only did they NOT remove clips, they also did NOT change Golden Dreams. Instead, they ADDED a new portion. I believe YouTube has the new ending on display, but just some of the added scenes (that I could make out) include President George W. Bush along with the pairing of Presidents George H.W. Bush & Bill Clinton, Oprah, Willie Nelson, Vietnam soldiers, the Vietnam wall (with people crying), George Lucas, C-3PO, WTC rubble, iconic flag raising, We Support Our Troops sign among quite a few other scenes. The added portion of Golden Dreams seems to follow the same style as the beginning portion and seems to be the same singers.

Enough is enough for one morning, so I headed back to the room for a break.

Going to the Animal Kingdom, I had an idea. We all know that the Safari closes at 7pm and any other animal exhibit closes 30 minutes later. So on EMH nights (and when they eventually lengthen the park hours), the final few hours are animal-less. So why not at 7pm convert Disney’s Animal Kingdom to Disney’s Beastlie Kingdomme. The beasts (and villains) can come and take over the park at night. Everything can be lit up in a beastly/fantasy way and they can culminate the night was a big extravaganza at the Everest Lagoon. Kills two birds with one stone in a way. Just a thought.

Looks so much better in person

Everest was great as always and I had dinner at Restaurantosaurous, only because I wanted a Strawberry Shortcake. A tip of the hat to Restaurantosaurus for still having Strawberry Shortcakes. I went on Dinosaur, which was bumpy fun as always (though I do think they should wait to start the preshow until everyone is in).

Better be prepared

Just hangin' around

Ready to pounce

Wall decorations

I got the wristband for EMH and saw It’s Tough to be a Bug. After Maharajah Jungle Trek (which is nice at night), I headed back to Dinoland for Primeval Whirl. I crossed to the opposite side of the Kingdom to see the night showing of FotLK. Each time I see this I want to pass it off as overrated but I just can’t. It is a fantastic show and a cool light display if nothing else. Now for the main reason I went to AK’s EMH….. nighttime lighting. The Tree of Life, I think, has one of the best nighttime lightings in Disney World. There’s nothing overly special to it tech-wise (I believe it is just white lights), but something about the positioning of the lights, the colors of the leaves (& bark) and the surrounding “nothingness” makes it look so cool in my opinion.

Know what sound a Yak makes?

Yaaaaaaak.... yaaaaak

I saw Everest’s nighttime lighting for the first time and found it nothing overly amazing. I like the fantasy aspect to it, but the purple doesn’t do it for me (I did like the red portion).
    That was all for tonight, time to go home and sleep. All in all I think I circled the park about 4 times tonight.
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

So how did you like the Beach Club overall? I just had my reservations at the Animal Kingdom Lodge changed to the BC because of the construction at AKL.
    Matthew

• World Traveler

Great report so far! The BCV look very nice.

• Don't mess with the duck!

Great TR. Looking forward to more.

• I Miss WDW

Peterhead, Scotland (i.e. Way too far away!)

Thnkas for sharing! Some lovely pics!

Thanks for the report! Some very nice pix!! :-)

• Disney Dreams

Great TR so far! Can't wait to see the rest!

• Disney Memory Maker

Day 3
    I started off day today at the Magic Kingdom. I had basically the best entrance I could possibly make…. The saxophone quartet were playing, both the fire chief guy and the Mayor of Main Street (first time I’ve seen him) were taking pictures, the “Walking Right Down the Middle of Main Street USA” trolley show was playing (in all its cheesy glory) and that piano guy was busy playing songs by Casey’s Corner. Pretty much the only group not out was the Barbershop Quartet.

Doesn't it Look Beautiful?

Lattice work looks nice

I do have to say, the new Castle Paint does look absolutely beautiful. The light marble-beige color added makes the whole top portion of the castle (along with the repainted blue turrets) look stunning. I also love the lattice work on the center blue part. And even though the two colors (pinkish-beige top & grey stone bottom) don’t mesh perfectly (or nicely for that matter), I like the whole effect overall (much better than what TDL’s looks like from pictures and it gives the castle an almost Beauty and the Beast-like feel to it).

Yes they do

Anyway, I headed to Carousel of Progress which had nice size crowd. Everything was working nicely there (then again, I’ve never seen anything major not working there). Plus, it is nice to see CoP no longer listed on the Times Guide. I headed to Stitch, which was funny as usual and hopped on over to PhilharMagic (sold out show) which was great as always. Personally, I’ve never heard anyone say anything bad about that attraction (in person).

Bye bye Snowglobes

Hey, doesn't the sky look a bit like on Lost when the hatch imploded?

I got some Figaro Fries over at the Haus (that was my lunch….. well it did have almost every food group in it (potato-grains, bacon-meat, cheese-dairy, fruit-tomato, vegi-lettuce) ) I also took a mental note that they had strawberry shortcakes there. I passed by Small World (which had one heck of a line), saw the HM construction gates, and headed on over to the Hall of Presidents. All politics aside, I do love Bush’s speech during the show (especially the ending of “we the people are just getting started”). And with JD Hall’s narration, I kept getting “We the People” stuck in my head for the rest of the day.

Captain Hook and Mr. Gibbs..... ummm I mean Mr. Smee

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhrArloqsYc[/youtube]Talking Character Heads

I raced on over to Main Street for the Dream Along with Mickey show. I have to say it was quite a good show. I absolutely LOVED the talking heads. It is SOOO much better seeing Mickey & pals actually move there mouths rather than seeing the entire head bob up and down every time they speak. The Hook and Smee face characters are also nice (though Smee looks a bit more like Mr. Gibbs). Overall, it had a very CSC feel to it (and it was nice to see Maleficent represent the villains instead of the standard Queen/Witch as well as Hook being scared of her too). And a HUGE tip of the hat for using Hunchback music during the show. At the very end it started to rain and they ran the “We are Sorry” announcement, but I don’t think I missed anything (it seemed like the very end).

Beginning of Family Fun Day Parade

Nice Little Parade

I went to the bakery for a Strawberry Shortcake and caught most of the Family Fun Day Parade, which was a nice little thing. I went to Jungle Cruise which had a nice long line. Glad though that my skipper was quite funny. A big difference in the type of humor from my last skipper, but still very funny.

Captain Jack had to leave right before I got up to him

After that it was Pirates, great as always. I specifically took the left line though because I know it’s somewhat shorter and usually moves faster. But it felt quite odd that we were barely moving at all. About 2/3 down the line I found out just why….. Captain Jack and generic-pirate-man were taking pictures with guests in the queue.

Nope, not our evilqueenrocks but the mistress of evil herself

I stopped in Frontierland to see the DDCT parade. While the music is certainly better than SaDCT, it just doesn’t seem all that memorable. Unlike DSiMC & MJJP, I just don’t get that song stuck in my head. But overall I do like the overall reconfiguration and removal of the snowglobes. Only other complaint I have though is that the acronym kind of sucks (DDCT). Certainly no MILF.

Cinderella pooped from her celebration

Whew boy, the morning that never seemed to end…. and it still wouldn’t. I cut to Tomorrowland to do MILF again, this time with Mac & Cheese instead of Sam and Ella. Still a very funny and great show, but I did like S&E more than M&C. My overall rankings of the monsters are S&E, Buddy, M&C and Marty Wazowski. Just for those keeping score, MILF & Stitch both had 20m waits while Buzz had a 30m wait. MILF moved the fastest while Buzz moved at a snail’s pace. And damn, I hadn’t realized how big that queue/waiting area was for MILF (back when TK was around, you kind of just moved all the way to the doors. Either way this attraction is at least 20x more popular than Timekeeper ever was.

MAELSTROM!!!!!!!! Are you afraid of getting wet?

New FP design

Deciding to call it quits for one day, I hopped aboard the monorail to Epcot. And, by the way, a tip of the hat to the re-recorded monorail dialog for not sounding so robotic and for the new 4-pole layout. I got a FP for Maelstrom, saw Reflections of China and went on Maelstrom. Just of note, as of July 6th, all parks except the Studios have the new style of FastPasses (though they don’t seem to do anything different with them yet). I like the increased size (fit nicely in a wallet) and the fact that they are put on MUCH sturdier paper. Due to dinner reservations, I had to bypass the movie, but maybe next time. Speaking of, I had dinner at the San Angel Inn. The food was good, but I’m not a huge fan of Mexican food.

Not a huge fan of Mexican food

No Micechatters here

Next I went on the Gran Fiesta Tour, which, I have to say, I have mixed feelings on. On the one hand, I love the fast pace of the entire ride, the updated videos (both in content and in quality), the recreation of some old footage with characters inserted (like the cliff diving) and the fact that there are so many version to each video. But on the other hand, I feel like they’ve put too much of the Caballeros in and not enough Mexico. It could have used animatronics at the ending stage and the new song just can’t replace the old one. But overall, it turned a mediocre annoying attraction into a mediocre, but not-quite-annoying attraction.

Donald Duck is Everywhere Now

Fun ending nonetheless

After a few country hops, I tried to stake out a spot for RoE. Okay, now everyone should stand back a bit because I am going to give the rare wag of BOTH fingers at the World Showcase sound crew. At first I got a spot near the gondolas in Italy. Great view…… couldn’t hear the music at all (and I learned from last Fourth of July that if you don’t hear the preshow music & announcements you aren’t going to hear the actual show). I found that quite surprising as there seemed to be speakers in the poles as well as under the bridge. So then I moved over to Japan (to the right of that red/blue icon thing). Music was barely better, but the show was starting soon, so I just picked a spot where I could see the lagoon and the sky. Could just barely make out the music. All the music was coming from the pavilion itself and not the WS speakers that surrounded the area. What happened to when Epcot used to blast the preshow & show music? With all those speakers you’d think it could get louder. Walking around WS later, I found the music wasn’t much better unless you were right on top of the speaker.

Sound please?

And oh yeah, another wag of the finger to the new RoE intro. I could take the Where Magic Lives… that doesn’t bother me. But WHY oh WHY did they have to re-record the “we gather here tonight…..” monologue? While it is the same narrator, he stressed different parts of the monologue and it simply doesn’t come out anywhere near as strong as the original narration. And yes, one final wag of the finger here to the cheesy tag at the end (the whole “may all your dreams come true” part….. wanted to throw up ). Celebration and special event tag-ons should be said by that lady…. NOT the Sage of Time guy.

But moving to the more positive side, a tip of the hat to the comeback of the big fireworks. Last time they had wimpy little fireworks during the very beginning (the ones that blow up at the lake level and are really loud), but they are back to using the normal ones. Also, the fireworks coming out of the sides of the lagoon seem to be the old ones again (the ones that scare everyone). And of course, a huge tip of the hat to the return of ALF (although I did like it better when it was launched from Canada, that I can look over).

Come on explorers!

Tank technology was cool, not so much with anything else here.

So now I started EMH at The Seas with Nemo and Friends. And unfortunately, I have to say I was completely and utterly disappointed with this one. Are we sure his name is Nemo, because to me it should be lame-o. I was expecting more of the fish-tank technology (that they used during the Big Blue World segment) instead of simple projection screens. The only bright points to me were the aforementioned Blue World segment, the EAC and the starfish at the end (who was hysterical). And my goodness whoever did the voice of Marlin should be shot on sight. Personally, I think I like “The Seas” (movie) better than this…. But I will give it another chance (just not right now ).

Mirrors were nice but not hidden

As I really could care less about The Seas itself (I’m not much of an aquarium person), I headed over to The Land to see the other refurbished attraction, Living with the Land. Like with Gran Fiesta, I have mixed feelings on this. On the one hand, the narrator is actually bearable and they seemed to keep most of the normal script in tact. However, losing the driver takes the spontaneity out of the ride (I don’t ride to see the same old NASA experiments…. I ride to hear something a bit different each time). Large segments seemed to be quite too where the human CM would have talked. Also, unless I missed it, they seemed to have taken the best line of the ride out (“Only then will we truly be living with the land”).

This is our American Adventure

Wanting to catch the 10:30 show, I headed all the way back to the American Adventure (while waiting, I looked at the Echos of Africa exhibit). On the way, I caught the inferno blow-off which was cheesy and fun as always. Like I said before, AA is just simply fantastic with the new footage. Truly great. Some of the people I think I missed the first time around include Lance Armstrong, the Miracle on Ice team, space shuttle and Kermit. But even better than the footage is the new music going along with it. Something about the change in speed and the brilliant drum beat just gives me the chills.

Last vacation I will ever see SSE like this

Doesn't this just look pretty?

On my way back to future world, I wanted to stop at Lotus Blossom for an egg roll. But I have to give a wag of my finger to LB for closing at 11 even though the EMH guide said would stay open throughout the night. Anyways, off to Test Track Single Rider line. And just in time to close the night, I rode Mission Space. Both rides were fun and by this time, Epcot was just barren (not that it was all that crowded tonight to begin with). So it was back to International Gateway and off to sleep. And yes, just for those keeping count, I went from FW to WS (and vice versa) a total of 5 times (you’d think I’d of planned it better).

Quote Originally Posted by wettham1783 View Post
    So how did you like the Beach Club overall? I just had my reservations at the Animal Kingdom Lodge changed to the BC because of the construction at AKL.
    Location: 8/10.... More convenient going to Epcot than BW, but a pain going to DMGM as the boats go quite slow. Busses were pretty good here (better than OKW)

Atmosphere: 5/10... not a huge fan of the theming. Didn't seem to be anything major and the monotone color scheme got old fast. The Boardwalk's great Atlantic City/Coney Island theming and OKW's Keys theming are so much better. While I didn't make any of them, they did seem to have various events at night (movie on the beach, campfire, etc)

Store: 9/10.... The Marketplace kick's the Boardwalk's Store/Bakery's ***. First off, I like how they combined the store and food/snacks place into one marketplace. The Gelato is great as are the salads (and other snacks).

Other Facilities/Resaurants: 5/10... Cape May is nice, but Boardwalk definitely is much better here.

Room Size: (Villas - One Bedroom) 8/10.... About the same size and layout as Boardwalk's villas (tiny kitchen with attached ledge, fold-out couch, king size bed, jacuzzi, sepearte bathroom/jacuzzi room/shower room. Obviously though, it can't come anywhere near the spacious and much better rooms at Old Key West.

Room Decor: 9/10..... I prefer Old Key West's decor, but BCV rooms do look much nicer than Boardwalk Villas rooms.

Pool: 10/10... Obviously this is the highlight of the resort. If you are a pool person, chances are you will like Stormalong Bay (or the various quite pools).

CMs: 8/10..... Seemed very nice as most CMs are. Didn't quite stand out though as OKW's Community Hall CMs seem to stand out. One exception is that sailor guy that greets people.

Overall: A nice resort, but out of the Epcot resorts, Boardwalk is much better (as is Old Key West). Main feature is the pool. Also keep in mind that the boats do stop operating in thunderstorms (so if lightning is nearby, you either have to wait or walk to the Studios).

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Jim Henson and Kermit are not new footage. They have been there since before the refurb. Unless they added more?
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoflamingo View Post
    Jim Henson and Kermit are not new footage. They have been there since before the refurb. Unless they added more?
    Sorry, they were just reconfigured into the added song verse (forgot they were already in it).

• She was sweet as a peach

I think I had the same girl Jungle Cruise guide that you did. She was hilarious! It was more the way she told the jokes then the jokes themselves.

• I was deleted.

Great TR so far Mikey!!! Very cool... and you make me want to go stay at the Villas now. Also, congrats on your first Dole Whip.

• In Technicolor!

Quote Originally Posted by BigPigletFan View Post
    you make me want to go stay at the Villas now.
    does he make you want to complete your own delinquent TR?
    Last edited by Ward; 07-09-2007 at 06:51 PM.
    These are the games that never end.

• Yes?

Wow...I feel so honored right now. I got mentioned in two trip reports today when seeing the mistresses of evil at the parks. I'm beginning to wonder about what you guys think of me? Beach Club Villas is our favorite DVC...we just love being able to walk to Epcot from there since it is one of our favorite parks. I feel the buses are a farther walk than Epcot is at times though...
    Quote Originally Posted by larasound View Post
    am I the burrito man?

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast