Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Christmastime at Disney World By Myself? - Should I? Could I?

I have been to Disney World all together 5 different years. Each time, I went with family. Each vacation, was great in it's own way. My last vacation left me with 4 days on my "no expiration - Park Hopper". I have
    never been to Disney World at Christmas, and I'd really like to see the decorations, and the big party that they have at Magic Kingdom.

I am thinking out loud here, folks.

Should I go to Disney World by myself? I am really beginning to think that I could afford a trip alone. I have spent a lot of money taking my grandson, and his mom along on my past trips. A trip by myself would be more economical. My thought is that - I am not getting any younger - and if I don't plan it now, I may never experience "The World" at Christmas.

Any and all comments welcome here.

• back to WDW in January

Re: Christmastime at Disney World By Myself? - Should I? Could I?

You just gotta go for Christmas no matter how you do it - the most magical time of year in the most magical place in the world is an experience you definitely do not want to miss.
    Going to WDW alone can have a myriad of advantages not the least of which is that you are not bound by anyone else's schedule. Many of the more popular rides now have single rider lines and the restaurants are more than accomodating to single guests.
    Here are a few places you can get some good info from:
    www.allearsnet.com/pl/solo.htm
    www.passporter.com/articles/traveling-alone-to-walt-disney-world.asp
    www.wdisneyw.co.uk/solo.html

• World Traveler

Go for it! It's always nice to welcome visitors to Florida!

• Happy Memories

There's absolutely nothing wrong with tackling the World solo. I've had a lot of fun over the years sharing the experience with friends, but I've discovered a great deal more new and interesting things when on my own. You can explore more freely, try experiences that others in a group may not be interested in, etc.

The Holiday season is also a magical time of year at WDW, and I highly recomend that experience for every Disney fan.

• I'll Break your Thumbs!!

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    I have been to Disney World all together 5 different years. Each time, I went with family. Each vacation, was great in it's own way. My last vacation left me with 4 days on my "no expiration - Park Hopper". I have
    never been to Disney World at Christmas, and I'd really like to see the decorations, and the big party that they have at Magic Kingdom.

Should I go to Disney World by myself? I am really beginning to think that I could afford a trip alone. I have spent a lot of money taking my grandson, and his mom along on my past trips. A trip by myself would be more economical. My thought is that - I am not getting any younger - and if I don't plan it now, I may never experience "The World" at Christmas.

I have done WDW solo before, and I loved it... My only concern about going solo during christmas is that you really dont have anyone to share the experience with. I mean its Christmas time and the decorations and whatnot. I guess personally for me, I would want to bring someone, especially around Christmas. If it was any other time of year, I would definately go solo.

• Jail Bondswoman of RCMC

Blog Entries

Lucky bum...

go have fun. I finally went to DL during Christmas and it was just wow...

do this go have fun.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

My husband will not travel with me, and he is not a big Disney fan. I won't travel alone with my grandson, and besides that his Christmas vacation doesn't begin until almost Christmas day. I am looking at going right after my husband's birthday on the 3rd. of December. Since I have 4 days of tickets, I can purchase a 1 day ticket, and then be able to get the Dining Plan for 5 days. If I stay at a Value Resort for 5 nights,I can keep my cost under $1,000.

I have never flown alone before. However, the vacations that I have been to Disney World, I spent a great majority of my time touring alone. We would meet up for meals, and fireworks, and stuff.

Again, if I don't plan this, I may never get the opportunity again.

• I'll Break your Thumbs!!

Again, if I don't plan this, I may never get the opportunity again.
    Either way, I think you want to do this, you are just looking for some kind of reassurance from us... which you dont need, because you already made up your mind.

It seems like you really want to do it, so just do it, and enjoy it... I have always wanted to go around christmas time, so when you do go, make sure you take a lot of pics...

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Parisi View Post
    Either way, I think you want to do this, you are just looking for some kind of reassurance from us... which you dont need, because you already made up your mind.

It seems like you really want to do it, so just do it, and enjoy it... I have always wanted to go around christmas time, so when you do go, make sure you take a lot of pics...
    I love "thinking out loud" on MiceChat. The members here always help me see all sides of an idea that I might have. Not to mention, it is a whole lot of fun talking, and planning a vacation. I just never have planned a solo trip before. Also I haven't ever stayed at a value resort before.

Another thought is that by staying at a Value Resort, rather than a moderate (I was thinking about the French Quarter), I am thinking I should stay 5 nights, rather than 4, and that way, I have 4 full days in the park. The first and last days will be traveling days.

• Defying gravity

When are you thinking of going? If possible, I would recommend going about a week and a half before Christmas when it is pretty empty and the resort rates are at value season.

I went to WDW solo in early January last year and I loved it. I would imagine it would be even more magical during the holidays (I've been twice at Christmas with my family).

I love "bonding" with families in queues or waiting for parades, and I think that would possibly add to the enjoyment for you as well.

You mentioned that you often end up solo during parts of your family trips. That happens with my family as well, and helped me realize I could and would have fun alone in WDW.

You're gonna have a blast!
    "When entering the theater, please move as far to the end of the row as possible. Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic." -Sam Eagle

"I may have invented these bifocals I'm wearing, but I can assure you they're not rose-colored" -Ben Franklin, The American Adventure

• and too all a good fright

Go! Go! Go!

WDW alone is a whole different experience. One that it is really enjoyable. At first, I was nervous about going alone, wondering if I'd be lonely, but I had a great time. When I went by myself, I felt like I had a lot more time to just explore. I wasn't rushing trying to accomodate everyone elses wants. I was able to linger. Really enjoyed it. The only time I was ever truly by myself, I was asleep. There's always other guest (and pin traders) to chat with.

Christmas time is wonderful. If you are going between Thanksgiving and X-mas the park is usually pretty quiet. I really felt like I got two x-mas's. One at WDW and one at home with my family.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPrincess4590 View Post
    When are you thinking of going? If possible, I would recommend going about a week and a half before Christmas when it is pretty empty and the resort rates are at value season.
    My husband's birthday is on the 3rd, which is a Monday. I want to be home for that. The entire week after Thanksgiving he is home from work on vacation. I have tried for years, to get him to go on vacation with me that week, and he always says no.

Anyway, I am looking at December the 4th leaving and returning on the 9th. I understand that the parks are not crowded then.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I think that I am more apprehensive about the traveling on the plane part of the trip. With the addition of Magical Express, once I arrive, I should be O.K. Also, a short trip will not require too much luggage. I can probably get by with a carryon suitcase.

• Minion

Oh definately go! I go every year with friends, usually the week after you're planning to go. I've always wanted to go another time by myself, but I haven't had the time yet. Don't worry about the plane ride, it will go fast. Maybe get some contact numbers from some WDW Chatters incase you lose your nerve and want some company.
    I want my cake back!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast