Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• back to WDW in January

Star Tours Ride Upgrade Coming To Disney-Mgm

The following information was recently posted at LaughingPlace regarding a possible upgrade to Star Tours:

** Each simulator equipped with 5 rear-projected Disney Digital 3-D screens with one screen in the front and two smaller screens on both the left and right sides of the simulator.
    ** Simulators feature a hydraulic lift at the center-rear area of the simulator, which allow much of the upper portion of the simulator to be swung upwards for specific ride events.
    ** Polarized glasses (3-D glasses) will be themed and necessary for proper viewing of the ride.
    ** Front-projected modified (for polarization) IMAX HD DOME projectors facing upwards will be used during the ride and will be totally external of the simulators.
    ** DTS-HD Master Audio system is featured in every simulator, along with a DTS-HD Master Audio external system which is used when simulator hatches are in the open position, are opening, or are closing.
    ** Three remote controlled AAs are used in the ride, with two of the same type simulating walking, but only featuring upper torsos and a third which does not move from its permanent location, but can be "puppeted" both in motions and statements, or can run in a generic mode."

• "There's always my way"

Re: Star Tours Ride Upgrade Coming To Disney-Mgm

this sounds good...now is this really going to happen? Where's your source?
    Sorry, this just sounds too good to be true.

"Since the dawn of recorded time, communication has revolutionized our lives and changed our world. We now have the ability and the responsability to build new bridges of acceptance and cooperation between us. To create a better world for ourselves and our children as we continue our amazing journey aboard Spaceship Earth." - Jeremy Irons (Spaceship Earth)

• back to WDW in January

Quote Originally Posted by EPCOT1982 View Post
    Where's your source?
    As I mentioned in the intro, I found the posting at LaughingPlace and as far as I know, (as of this writing) the rumor is unconfirmed.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

It actually originated on wdwmagic, and was posted by someone who appears to be "in the know." It is unsure whether he is or not, but he seems to be fairly reliable, and it's interesting reading, if nothing else.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Minion

That sounds pretty amazing, if true. I'll keep my fingers crossed for now.

Ehh, I have my doubts here on two parts of this:

* Front-projected modified (for polarization) IMAX HD DOME projectors facing upwards will be used during the ride and will be totally external of the simulators.

I'm not saying this cannot happen, however, I can think of two MAJOR hurdles that would have to be overcome. First, the simulators would have to be modified to open during the show (as I don't think something this HUGE would be used for loading and unloading only). I'm not sure how the simulators are designed, but I'm guessing that this was not something the original plans had in mind.

Second, it's my understanding that all the simulators are in one big room, is that correct? If that's the case, then either walls need to be built between the simulators, or the simulators would have to be operated so that none of them were "open" while any others were (or else light from a different projector could leak into that show).

Also with the external IMAX dome and projectors, I'm wondering if the existing show building is strong enough and big enough for that, as again, I don't believe that anything remotely like this had been factored into the original plans.

And one more obstacle. Where would they put the IMAX projector? As I understand it, the show building is cramped on space as it is, and those projectors aren't exactly small.

My other major problem comes from this bit:

* Three remote controlled AAs are used in the ride, with two of the same type simulating walking, but only featuring upper torsos and a third which does not move from its permanent location, but can be "puppeted" both in motions and statements, or can run in a generic mode."

First, I'm assuming they're talking IN the simulator. If that is the case, then with all that motion, I'm not sure if "walking" (even simulated walking) AA's would hold-up to that abuse.

Second, where would they go? To have three AA's in front of the screen would defeat the purpose of having a film, as they would block the screen, wouldn't they?

Third, I don't think the park's are willing to dish out the man-power needed to puppet THREE AA's at all times in every simulator. Not only that, to puppet these in a simulator along with a film that's playing would require some talented puppeteers. This is assuming that the film and the AA's would interact to some degree.

These two items seem VERY out there, and look more like wishful thinking. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see these upgrades, but I don't see them happening. The other three upgrades though, seem more reasonable.

• Beware of Mutant Mickey!

This guy has previously mentioned that they are building a whole new set of simulators, with opening hatches, and the way I understood his original post was that the new AAs would be outside of the ride.

Best hold on to Your Hats and Glasses, 'cause this heres the Wildest Ride in the Wilderness!

Blog Entries

Yep, it was originally posted by some guy named Redisnidew or something like that.

Much of the info appears to be legit. I can't speak to the source.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974 View Post
    I can arrange a meeting if you'd like.

• far, far away from DL

Wonder how long all this would take? George is always looking at and building new technology for the movies. Guess this might be a way to experiment a little.

Quote Originally Posted by naumoney View Post
    This guy has previously mentioned that they are building a whole new set of simulators, with opening hatches, and the way I understood his original post was that the new AAs would be outside of the ride.
    Well, if that's the case then my problems with the rumored upgrades can be thrown out the window!

• Senior Minion

They don't need to any of this - all the ride needs is a lick of paint and a whole new simulator movie.
    That's all.
    Nothing else.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974 View Post
    Just so you know this info comes from the same guy that said Lord of the Rings was being added to the Great Movie ride...

• Senior Minion

I'll be happy as long as it featues Jar Jar Binks

WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast