Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Banned User

Very quick TP from EC

So.. today July 10th, we had for the most part a very sunny and hot day here in Orlando.. and I of course went out to my favorite Super Target for some shopping... But, as fate may have it... I ended up going to EPCOT Center on a whim..

As soon as I entered the parking lot.. thunderstorms started brewing out of nowhere...

But I safely made it to the front of the park, where they only had three (out of how many?) turnstyles opened, each with a very long line to enter. This was about 7pm.

Once inside the park... I noticed the Leave a Legacy kiosk has literally left the building and it's closed for good!

I also noticed Spaceship Earth has been entirely closed off for it's 3-4 month's refurbishment.

But even more joyful for me was the beginning of the end for that silly wand over Spaceship Earth. "Mr. President! Tear that wand down NOW!"

Then the skies opened and it rained for a bit while... but the rain stopped soon enough and we were all rewarded with a lovely rainbow that reached from one cloud to the next.

I did some minor window shopping, being stopped by several CMs whose attention I got with my "HKDL: Where Dreams Come True" tee shirt version of the same WDW tee they sell all over the property.
    Then... took a short walk around the lagoon as the clouds were still semi-grey and menacing, and stopped briefly at the American Gardens Theater...where "BJorn Again: A Tribute to Bloody ABBA" was playing a show as part of the Sounds of Summer music program at EPCOT Center.

Does anyone miss the days of the All-American College band, with guest artists such as Rita Moreno, and the Rockettes?? Or better yet, are any of you old enough to even remember that and the All-American College Marching Band at the MK...??? Oh never mind.

As the Bjorn Again show ended... about 15 mins before Illuminations was to start, the skies opened up again, and few raindrops started coming down.. with some approaching lighting in the distance... I picked up the pace and opened my umbrella (now I have that dreaded Rihanna (sp?) song in my head...eh! eh! eh! My umbrella eh! eh! eh!..). As I am crossing the bridge in between France and the UK... I look over to my right and see a wall of water cutting accross the World Showcase lagoon, so thick in fact that I could hardly see the China and Germany pavillions across the lagoon!
    I go ..."OMG!" ...and within 30 secs..the rain started to come down furiously, coincidentally at the same time the "10 mins to Illuminations" announcement comes on. Other guests start running and screaming as the furious downpour moves over head. It was the closest I have ever experienced to a Godzilla movie scene, where people are running and screaming for dear life. I thought..."we need a Sodom and Gomorrah pavilion here"... The crowd's reaction was just too comical.
    As I walk down next to Canada, with few souls drenched and running in vain... a HUGE lighting strike hits, like way too close to us... and the thunder was like a loud and terrifying BOOM! Everyone again screamed.. and now I get concerned I walking walking with an open umbrella in a very severe thunderstorm.

But fear NOT! I made it to the front of the park, partially dry from the waist up, with drenched tennis shoes and socks! As I seek shelter under Spaceship Earth... I look back and see the wall of water painted in colors from the geosphere lighting equipment.

Undaunted, I press on, opening my umbrella eh!eh! and coming to a stop under the turstyles at the front of the park. I look back and bloody Illuminations is going ON as scheduled. Freaky! You can see the fire barge's brightness reflected on the rain behind Spaceship Earth!

I then opened my umbrella again and headed to the parking lot with about another 5,000 guests who were way underway to their cars as well... while overhearing a CM telling another... "I can't believe they are doing the fireworks with this weather!!"

INDEED!

While I understand Disney's desire to NOT disappoint the guests who visit the park, I do wonder why on God's Earth do they choose to perform Illuminations under the worst of possible conditions, and with multiple lighting strikes going on all around us! I would believe there were some guests who braved the weather to enjoy the show, but frankly... is this safe? I mean.. Why not delay the show or cancel due to the severity of the weather over the park at that particular time? I feel it would have been in the best interest of safety to delay or cancel this show tonight. The show should definitely NOT go on when safety comes into play.

Add to the bad weather, the other safety issues I witnessed as I walked to the front of the park during the downpour... I never realized how bad the water accumulates in most areas of the park and the parking lot when it rains as hard as it did tonight. There are spots where the water reached approx. 4" in height and at least 10'-15' in diameter. Those floods, along with running guests and what-have-you could very much cause unnecesary accidents in the park. Add insult to injury, when I reached the Innoventions area, to find that most exhibits were already closed and doors locked, taking away much needed shelter space from guests who had to pack the few sheltered areas available in the Innovention buildings (meaning the walking spaces between buildings that lead to either Future World East or West.) It left a bad feeling for me that guest safety is not an item of importance for management when severe weather hits the park out of nowhere. I feel that 1) Illuminations should have been delayed of cancelled due to the extreme rainy conditions, and 2) doors to the Innovention exhibit should have been re-opened for guests to shelter themselves from the severe weather. Way too many people soaked to the bone tonight, which coincidentally... was an Extra Magic Hours night at EPCOT. Enjoy your perks Disney hotel guests!!

Anyways... here is one more look at the very wet Spaceship Earth, and note the wand's lights are now off. Forever.
    Last edited by TDLFAN; 07-10-2007 at 09:08 PM.

Re: Very quick TP from EC

Interesting observations as always ... I don't think I've ever seen Illuminations canceled and I agree, on some nights it should be. But, again, WDW guests have been conditioned by management, online forums and even our society to have an entitlement mentality to where some idiots would demand their trip gets refunded because Disney canceled a show.

Of course, spineless execs have greatly contributed to this.

And good point about Innoventions ... when it's closed and locked when the park is open, you lose a lot of shelter for people when the weather gets nasty. I hope this is something Jim MacPhee takes notice of. When the park is open, the whole park needs to be open.

• I was deleted.

Forever!!

And IllumiNations has only been cancelled twice to my knowledge - once due to hurricane weather and the other in 2005 when the inferno barge blew up. (Which is why I have seen IllumiNations more times without the inferno than with it.)

But thanks for the photos and little report TDLFAN.

• She was sweet as a peach

Cute report! I love the Godzilla comparison-too funny!!

• Pilot EdForceOne

EPCOT always seems to be where we are when those kinds of rains come in

Distance between the pavilions always seems a ton further when you have bone rattling thunder and monsoons rolling in

Nice update, thanks.

BTW, thanks for getting that Umbrella song stuck in my head now ....so annoying.

Last edited by Disney Magic; 07-11-2007 at 05:54 AM.

• World Traveler

Thanks for braving the elements for us for this report.

Neither wind, rain, snow or hail can keep TDLFAN away from the Disney parks!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Nice TR, it's nice to see the progress on the wand and thanks to you for bringing us all the rain soaked footage.

Don't you just love Florida in the summer? You could time the torrential rains between 4-9pm everyday, just like clockwork.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

YAY for Super Target!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by mikeland View Post
    Neither wind, rain, snow or hail can keep TDLFAN away from the Disney parks!
    Mikey, the truth is... I HATE going to the parks when weather gets that bad. I went to SuperTarget and when I came out, the afternoon was partly sunny and I was anticipating a nice evening walking in the park. As soon as I parked at EPCOT, the first of the thunderstorms started to brew. It was totally unexpected, and I was not prepared except for my umbrella; reason for the cellphone photos in this report. If I had known it was going to rain so badly, I would have come home from Target instead.
    Shameless plug: New photos and TPs from HKDL and TDR also posted this week on those sections for your enjoyment. Check them out.

• Banned User

Just bumping this topic since I will be taking the photos down from photobucket soon...

• KING OF CABMF'S

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Add insult to injury, when I reached the Innoventions area, to find that most exhibits were already closed and doors locked, taking away much needed shelter space from guests who had to pack the few sheltered areas available in the Innovention buildings (meaning the walking spaces between buildings that lead to either Future World East or West.) It left a bad feeling for me that guest safety is not an item of importance for management when severe weather hits the park out of nowhere. I feel that 1) Illuminations should have been delayed of cancelled due to the extreme rainy conditions, and 2) doors to the Innovention exhibit should have been re-opened for guests to shelter themselves from the severe weather. Way too many people soaked to the bone tonight, which coincidentally... was an Extra Magic Hours night at EPCOT. Enjoy your perks Disney hotel guests!!

Anyways... here is one more look at the very wet Spaceship Earth, and note the wand's lights are now off. Forever.
    jeez, that is not even the worst of weather. in jacksonville, we had what looked like almost torrential rain, and i had to go look for my cat outside, who had just recovered from an almost fatal reaction to her flea medicine. so while i may be soaked, i dont care. im guessing i would have been the only guest at the EMH? really, the rain some people see in florida may look bad, but they're lucky. the rain in some parts of florida (like jville) are way worse, being a coastal city and all. rain was so bad once it knocked down out lightpost and blew our umbrella into the neighbor's yard. so if there is even alot of rain, i dont care how bad it is, i love the rain, and walking in it (especially at WDW) and also, if it is lightning outside, if you watch illuminations, the lightning in the background is so amazing. when we saw illuminations the lightning was almost synced with the show. so sometimes the storms can add power to the show.
    ADD ME.[:

WHAT I'VE LEARNED FROM MICECHAT...
    1. IF YOU APPRECIATE SOMETHING THAT ISN'T THE MAJORITY OPINION, YOU'RE NOT WANTED HERE.
    2. IF THERE'S CHIPPED PAINT IN THE QUEUE FOR A LINE, EXPECT SOMEONE TO WRITE OUT A BIG STORY BASHING IT. WOOHOO.
    3. IF YOU'RE UNDER THE AGE OF 24, YOU'RE AN 'EISNER BRAT.'
    4. PEOPLE WHO ARE DEEMED AS 'MODERATORS' AND OTHER ADMINISTRATION ARE MORE IMPORTANT DIETIES THAN JESUS CHRIST.
    5. YOU CAN EXCPECT TO BE BADLY REPPED IF YOU TRY AND MAKE A SERIOUS POINT.
    6. YOU ARENT TAKEN SERIOUS IF YOU'RE UNDER THE AGE OF 16.
    7. AS AN ADD-ON TO #6, YOU SHOULD BE TREATED AS A SUBORDINATEIF YOU ARE IN A THEME PARK WAITING 30 MINUTES IN LINE FOR A DRINK WHILE SOMEONE HAS TO RECOUNT PIZZAS.
    8. "Disney may not care to hear your comments, but we do." WTFFF??? THIS ISN'T A DISNEY FAN FORUM, IT'S A DISNETY BASHING SITE.
    9. CERTAIN PEOPLE OVER ANALYZE A SIMPLE THREAD AND CONSIDER IT TO BE A CONTRACT FULL OF LOOPHOLES THAT HE/SHE CAN GET AROUND.
    AND FINALLY...
    10. PROLONGED USE OF THIS SITE CAN CAUSE AN EXTREME HATE OF DISNEY AND ALL DISNEY RELATED THINGS.

M-U-H Muhfukka.
    [:

Thanks for the report TDL. Sitting here in dry, hot southern CA, I couldn't help but fantasize about being in that downpour and how lovely it would be to seek shelter in SSE, UofE, or Imagination. Sigh.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by SpectroMan View Post
    Thanks for the report TDL. Sitting here in dry, hot southern CA, I couldn't help but fantasize about being in that downpour and how lovely it would be to seek shelter in SSE, UofE, or Imagination. Sigh.
    You are such a romantic...

• Why can't you tune a fish

Why would rain / lightning be a hazard to the show.

I can understand canceling fireworks due to lightning if you don't have them loaded yet, but it sounds like this storm rolled in pretty quickly and the show was already staged. So you have fireworks and a propane bomb sitting in the lake allready, you might as well get rid of them

I have seen (not at WDW) fireworks cancelled due to high winds, but not rain/lightning at the last minute.

I for one would have stayed and watched in the rain. I would have stayed for rainy EMH as well, but thats just me.

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast