Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 32
  1. #1

    • Junior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    246

    Post your pre-1995 WDW details that you miss here!

    I wanted to spin off the 'yet another wand thread' here. In the interest of preserving the wonder of the old WDW, let's list all the pre-mid 90s details that we miss here! It will be a nice remberance for us old-timers, and it might open the eyes of some of the younger mice chatters, too!

    Here's what I can think of, right off the bat, although I might be back later to add more:

    - The main street magic shop. It sold all sorts of magic tricks, no generic 'disney' memoribilia. I used to buy a new magic trick on every trip to WDW- I loved that store!!!

    - the arcade that was attached. They had a room full of old-fashioned video games, and then a room of more modern games. I used to be able to spend hours in there. Some of the old fashioned games were so cool! I remember the fortune teller, and the horse racetrack... some of the old time movie machines are now at the main street train station.

    - when each restaurant had drink stirers that were themed to the restaurant. I still have an old contemportary resort one.

    - when each shop had specifically-themed merchandise. I remember when you saw something in a certain shop, you had to snap it up because you might not see it again. Now pretty much every shop has the same stuff, so you don't have to be in any rush to get anything in particular.

    - the beginning of extra magic hours (used to be called 'early entry'). Do you remember when it first started, each resort had early entry on a certain day? So the GF would be magic kingdom on monday, but the poly would be epoct, etc. I think this only lasted a year or two, but wow- now those were thin crouds. Now that was a resort perk.

    - E ticket night- you used to be able to buy tickets for extended hours at night. How incredible that was- they limited the number of tickets, so the crouds were so low... it was truely magic.

    Add yours! I can't wait to see what you all loved about pre-95 WDW!!!

  2. #2

    • Junior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    246

    Re: Post your pre-1995 WDW details that you miss here!

    I thought of another one:

    - when early entry was just starting, at the MK it used to work that you would be loaded right onto the train. Then you would hear a special song on the train about going down to mickey's house.... you would be let off at mickey's starland, and then you would walk through there to the early entry rides in tomorrowland and fantasyland. I can't imagine them desigining a special song for EMH today.

  3. #3

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    100

    Re: Post your pre-1995 WDW details that you miss here!

    I miss the roger rabit scene that seems to slowly dissapear over the years. I remember that place having a lot more stuff when I was younger.
    Last edited by speedemon; 07-12-2007 at 10:31 AM. Reason: take the out of a sentence

  4. #4

    • Disney Dreams
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    .....
    Posts
    4,129

    Re: Post your pre-1995 WDW details that you miss here!

    Quote Originally Posted by Nom View Post
    I wanted to spin off the 'yet another wand thread' here. In the interest of preserving the wonder of the old WDW, let's list all the pre-mid 90s details that we miss here! It will be a nice remberance for us old-timers, and it might open the eyes of some of the younger mice chatters, too!

    Here's what I can think of, right off the bat, although I might be back later to add more:

    - The main street magic shop. It sold all sorts of magic tricks, no generic 'disney' memoribilia. I used to buy a new magic trick on every trip to WDW- I loved that store!!!

    - the arcade that was attached. They had a room full of old-fashioned video games, and then a room of more modern games. I used to be able to spend hours in there. Some of the old fashioned games were so cool! I remember the fortune teller, and the horse racetrack... some of the old time movie machines are now at the main street train station.

    - when each restaurant had drink stirers that were themed to the restaurant. I still have an old contemportary resort one.

    - when each shop had specifically-themed merchandise. I remember when you saw something in a certain shop, you had to snap it up because you might not see it again. Now pretty much every shop has the same stuff, so you don't have to be in any rush to get anything in particular.

    - the beginning of extra magic hours (used to be called 'early entry'). Do you remember when it first started, each resort had early entry on a certain day? So the GF would be magic kingdom on monday, but the poly would be epoct, etc. I think this only lasted a year or two, but wow- now those were thin crouds. Now that was a resort perk.
    Ah these seem wonderful! My family has about 50 Contemporary Resort Coffee stirrers - we got some on our last MNSSHP trip ( last year ) I would have loved to visit the Magic Shop - and I LOVE LOVE LOVE the way they ran EMH before! My friend and I were ACTUALLY talking about that, saying that's how they should have the park run, and we didn't even know they actually DID do that at some point!


  5. #5

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    14,940

    Re: Post your pre-1995 WDW details that you miss here!

    There are many things I miss at WDW from before 1995... althought I have to admit... there is not much difference between 1995 and 2007 but I will play...

    -If you had Wings, Plaza Swan Boats, Walt Disney Story, the original Tomorrowland, 20K...
    -The big year-long anniversary celebrations that brought totally new entertainment to the parks.
    -Sunrise Restaurant, Adventureland Veranda, and Odyssey Restautants.
    -Old nomenclature... like EPCOT Center, CommuniCore, Tomorrowland Terrace, Plaza Pavillion.
    -Lines with NO Fastpass.. where everyone waited the same amount of time without feeling like a 2nd class old shoe.
    -When sitdowns were about eating a nice meal and not about character meal packages. I miss the spaghetti platters at the Crystal Palace...which is a place I have not stepped foot in since they went "Character Dining"..what a shame.
    -I miss the huge greenery areas of WDW that gave me a feeling of leaving the real world behind.
    -I miss WDW without McDonald's on property.
    -I miss the Disney Look on CM's... when everyone had to wear black shoes (no sneakers or tennis shows) and no mustaches. Likewise, I miss the days before Castzooming was incorporated, where the illusion and theme of the costumes always stayed *inside* the resort, instead of parading down the candy and cake aisle in my local Publix supermarket.
    -Lastly, I miss the professional and quality-minded management team that was always up to the task or providing exceptional customer service and exceeding the most of demanding expectations...

    I could go on and on on this topic...

  6. #6

    • Junior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    246

    Re: Post your pre-1995 WDW details that you miss here!

    Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    -Lines with NO Fastpass.. where everyone waited the same amount of time without feeling like a 2nd class old shoe.
    ITA! Remember when, in general, lines moved pretty continuously? Fast pass put an end to that.

  7. #7

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,774

    Re: Post your pre-1995 WDW details that you miss here!

    Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    There are many things I miss at WDW from before 1995... althought I have to admit... there is not much difference between 1995 and 2007 but I will play...

    -If you had Wings, Plaza Swan Boats, Walt Disney Story, the original Tomorrowland, 20K...
    -The big year-long anniversary celebrations that brought totally new entertainment to the parks.
    -Sunrise Restaurant, Adventureland Veranda, and Odyssey Restautants.
    -Old nomenclature... like EPCOT Center, CommuniCore, Tomorrowland Terrace, Plaza Pavillion.
    -Lines with NO Fastpass.. where everyone waited the same amount of time without feeling like a 2nd class old shoe.
    -When sitdowns were about eating a nice meal and not about character meal packages. I miss the spaghetti platters at the Crystal Palace...which is a place I have not stepped foot in since they went "Character Dining"..what a shame.
    -I miss the huge greenery areas of WDW that gave me a feeling of leaving the real world behind.
    -I miss WDW without McDonald's on property.
    -I miss the Disney Look on CM's... when everyone had to wear black shoes (no sneakers or tennis shows) and no mustaches. Likewise, I miss the days before Castzooming was incorporated, where the illusion and theme of the costumes always stayed *inside* the resort, instead of parading down the candy and cake aisle in my local Publix supermarket.
    -Lastly, I miss the professional and quality-minded management team that was always up to the task or providing exceptional customer service and exceeding the most of demanding expectations...

    I could go on and on on this topic...
    I don't remeber seeing the swan boats in 1990. lol.
    Goodbye, Me Bizarro is not Monkey Joe. Me Bizarro hates Disney parks so much. Hello

  8. #8

    •   
    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,642

    Re: Post your pre-1995 WDW details that you miss here!

    I remember a time when you could swim in the Seven Seas Lagoon and Bay Lake. When the beach at the Wilderness Lodge didn't end in a sea wall and a drop off. When Snow White's Scary Adventures were actually scary. When Mr. Toad lived nearby, when Lumiere's served up food in Fantasyland. When "it's a small world" didn't have a fiber optic ending. (not really a bad addition though, ) When the Mike Fink Keel Boats were still around. When Adventureland reminded me of Hawaii, not a giant Dumbo Clone in the middle of the land. When I could walk through Communicore to get to Universe of Energy. When GE brought good things to life. And when Sorcery in the Sky was the best fireworks show around.

    Yeah, I remember those days. Not to mention the longer hours.
    -Bill

  9. #9

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    14,940

    Re: Post your pre-1995 WDW details that you miss here!

    Well said Bill...

    Quote Originally Posted by Nom
    ITA! Remember when, in general, lines moved pretty continuously? Fast pass put an end to that.
    THANK YOU! FP must go for good.

    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyJoe
    I don't remeber seeing the swan boats in 1990. lol.
    That's because they closed in the very early 80's, and you had not been born yet.

  10. #10

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,774

    Re: Post your pre-1995 WDW details that you miss here!

    Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Well said Bill...


    THANK YOU! FP must go for good.


    That's because they closed in the very early 80's, and you had not been born yet.
    I was borned. lol.
    Goodbye, Me Bizarro is not Monkey Joe. Me Bizarro hates Disney parks so much. Hello

  11. #11

    • Waiting for my E-Ticket
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota
    Posts
    19,760

    Re: Post your pre-1995 WDW details that you miss here!

    Oh so many things.....

    If you Had Wings
    The Home of Future Living and RYCA-1 post-shows in Space Mountain (as cheezy as they were)
    Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
    the original Tiki Room show (Tropical Serenade)
    the original Journey Into Imagination
    World of Motion
    Horizons
    Mickey Mouse Revue
    Captain EO (freaky as MJ is now, that was one cool 3D movie)

  12. #12

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    14,940

    Re: Post your pre-1995 WDW details that you miss here!

    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey joe View Post
    I was borned.
    Supremacist.

  13. #13

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,206

    Re: Post your pre-1995 WDW details that you miss here!

    Quote Originally Posted by speedemon View Post
    I miss the roger rabit scene that seems to slowly dissapear over the years. I remember that place having a lot more stuff when I was younger.
    What Roger Rabbit scene? Are you just talking about characters in the parks and merchandise?

  14. #14

    • Senior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,035

    Re: Post your pre-1995 WDW details that you miss here!

    Great thread idea.

    I miss much of what has been mentioned above.

    I also miss:

    The sense of truly being isolated away from the real world because there was so much space between things;

    Having one REAL entrance with cows grazing where WWoS is now;

    Brown road signs and the voice of WDW Radio Jack Wagner;

    Costumes that stayed at WDW when CMs went home;

    Buffets that didn't have characters;

    Disney after Dark ... REAL night-time hours with a party vibe ... midnight closings at Epcot, 1 a.m. at Studios and MK (even some 2 a.m. on summer weekends) for ALL guests;

    When staying on-site truly was special;

    When timeshares were some tacky, lowbrown thing that you had to drive into Kissimmee for;

    Nightly pavement pressure-washing, painting and bulb replacement;

    Not having to pay extra to see the Christmas Parade;

    WDW's Easter Parade;

    The Main Street Electrical Parade;

    CMs without lanyards;

    Custodial CMs in queues;

    A Main Street with real shops and attractions;

    An EPCOT Center withOUT the Swan and Dolphin screwing up the scale of the WS.

    Summer nights swimming in River Country as the fireworks burst over the Contemporary Resort;

    Sunday Brunch at the Top of the World;

    Breakfast at the Town Square Cafe;

    Steaks at the Tangaroa Terrace;

    The original musical suite for EPCOT;

    Sorcery in the Sky with Vincent Price;

    The MK with NO bus stop;

    The WDW Shopping Village at Lake Buena Vista ... when it had only ONE Disney merchandise shop;

    The original Illuminations;

    All of the original EPCOT Center pavilions (yes, they needed updating but that's for another thread);

    No 'value resorts';

    Welch's Grape Juice Bar;

    The RoA with all kinds of watercraft;

    Dining at the Odyssey ... and the Adventureland Veranda ... and King Stephan's (with fireworks blazing and not a princess in sight, except for an occassional CM);

    Clean efficient monorails;

    Trees in the MK;

    CMs who when they told you to 'Have a Magical Day' really meant it and not something else that begins with an 'F' and ends with a 'you';

    CMs who all were trim and neat and pretty;

    Real E-Tickets;

    When characters had their places and they weren't everywhere;

    The original Pleasure Island;

    ... and when there was no Internet to waste time on enjoyable things such as this!

  15. #15

    • Winter in Oceanside...
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    6,747

    Re: Post your pre-1995 WDW details that you miss here!

    Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974 View Post
    Not having to pay extra to see the Christmas Parade;
    You have to pay to see the Christmas Parade???

    This thread makes me so sad. I haven't been to WDW since 1994 and all you guys are mentioning were there. I guess I just hoped it would be the same whenever I got a chance to return.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Video] Disneyland's 40 Years of Adventures 1995
    By DisneylandFan1997 in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 08-19-2008, 02:19 PM
  2. Mickey's Halloween Treat at Disneyland 1995
    By ALIASd in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 11-03-2006, 12:37 PM
  3. Look at where the 1995 Disneyland Railroad coaches are at!
    By barfownz in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-03-2006, 11:40 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •