• Pixiedust?

Last Minute Travel Tips

Okay, so my family & I will be at WDW August 5-11, but we are leaving from Ohio on July 28. I was wondering if anyone had some last minutes tips about going to WDW in August, we've never gone at this time before. Does anyone know how crowded it's been or how crowded it will be? Everything on Disney property seems to be booked the whole week we're there, but hopefully it won't be too bad.

Also, does anyone know how hard it is to get around with a wheelchair? I have to be in a wheelchair for part of this trip due to my surgery & not being able to walk long distances yet. I was wondering what rides you can use them in the queues and which you can't.

We're staying at the Wildness Lodge, if that helps any.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

.. a dream is a wish your heart makes

• KING OF CABMF'S

Re: Last Minute Travel Tips

Quote Originally Posted by LilRah08 View Post
    Okay, so my family & I will be at WDW August 5-11, but we are leaving from Ohio on July 28. I was wondering if anyone had some last minutes tips about going to WDW in August, we've never gone at this time before. Does anyone know how crowded it's been or how crowded it will be? Everything on Disney property seems to be booked the whole week we're there, but hopefully it won't be too bad.

Also, does anyone know how hard it is to get around with a wheelchair? I have to be in a wheelchair for part of this trip due to my surgery & not being able to walk long distances yet. I was wondering what rides you can use them in the queues and which you can't.

during that time the crowds will tend to start dying down, because school is getting ready to start and all, but take advantage of extra magic hours if you stay on site, they come in handy sometimes.
    get to the parks early so you can get on the larger rides with less of a wait time.
    use fastpass at any major attractions, that way you can see more of the park and go back to the ride with maybe up to a 20 minute wait (compared to 80-90 minutes), go on major rides during parades of fireworks, at that time crowds are too busy watching the show.
    if you want to get a good spot for any firework show, try getting there about half an hour early. if you get a table at the restaurant outside of the mexico pavillion, youll have a great spor to watch illuminations.
    this is just my tip that i like to use during busy season:
    when you leave the park (lets say right after SpectroMagic or Wishes) instead of taking the express monorail (if you are going back to TTC or EPCOT) use the resort monorail, i once remember taking the express monorail and we waited half an hour just to get on after waiting in line, then were packed in the monorail and it was very uncomfortable. so if you use the resort monorail, there is just another maybe two minute stop, and you get to the TTC way faster.
    Since you are staying at WL there is a ferry serving WL and Fort wilderness, it is very scenic and alot of times less drowded than the monorail resort ferry, so you are going to have good transportation there. and there is a bus service serving every park from WL, as do all of the resorts.
    about the wheelchair, it is fairly easy to get around, just it is a bit more of a hassle to get out of the wheelchair to get on rides, but people normally give people with wheelchairs the right of way (especially since you are in the wheelchair for an important reason)
    Enjoy your trip!
    ADD ME.[:

WHAT I'VE LEARNED FROM MICECHAT...
    1. IF YOU APPRECIATE SOMETHING THAT ISN'T THE MAJORITY OPINION, YOU'RE NOT WANTED HERE.
    2. IF THERE'S CHIPPED PAINT IN THE QUEUE FOR A LINE, EXPECT SOMEONE TO WRITE OUT A BIG STORY BASHING IT. WOOHOO.
    3. IF YOU'RE UNDER THE AGE OF 24, YOU'RE AN 'EISNER BRAT.'
    4. PEOPLE WHO ARE DEEMED AS 'MODERATORS' AND OTHER ADMINISTRATION ARE MORE IMPORTANT DIETIES THAN JESUS CHRIST.
    5. YOU CAN EXCPECT TO BE BADLY REPPED IF YOU TRY AND MAKE A SERIOUS POINT.
    6. YOU ARENT TAKEN SERIOUS IF YOU'RE UNDER THE AGE OF 16.
    7. AS AN ADD-ON TO #6, YOU SHOULD BE TREATED AS A SUBORDINATEIF YOU ARE IN A THEME PARK WAITING 30 MINUTES IN LINE FOR A DRINK WHILE SOMEONE HAS TO RECOUNT PIZZAS.
    8. "Disney may not care to hear your comments, but we do." WTFFF??? THIS ISN'T A DISNEY FAN FORUM, IT'S A DISNETY BASHING SITE.
    9. CERTAIN PEOPLE OVER ANALYZE A SIMPLE THREAD AND CONSIDER IT TO BE A CONTRACT FULL OF LOOPHOLES THAT HE/SHE CAN GET AROUND.
    AND FINALLY...
    10. PROLONGED USE OF THIS SITE CAN CAUSE AN EXTREME HATE OF DISNEY AND ALL DISNEY RELATED THINGS.

M-U-H Muhfukka.
    [:

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

It will be crowded. I usually go around the same time as you're going for my annual birthday trip (unfortunately this year it's getting pushed back to possibly late August since my boss is on vacation for part of my birthday week and he's also going to a conference out of town at the end of the week and I need to be there to hold the fort down since I'm his assistant). It will be hot and humid. It might also rain every day since summer is the "rainy season" in central Florida, which makes it even more humid.

That being said, just relax and have fun. Don't sweat the small stuff.

• Banned User

My tips for a 1st timer in the middle of the humid summer is to bring light comfortable clothing. Bring a poncho or umbrella since it tends to rain on a whim. Take breaks from the park in the afternoons (if staying on property or close by WDW), refresh, then come back in the late afternoon and stay till late.

• Pixiedust?

Well, I'm not a first timer, as I've been to WDW many times, just not during August, but I've been almost any other time of the year because I lived there for 6 years.

But I'm finally excited to be going back. Even though we're going down to South Florida first to visit friends.

.. a dream is a wish your heart makes

Yes, the parks will be packed..No doubt about it!
    I take my family every year in August (and other months too..

If your eating at WDW parks book your reservations NOW!
    Paging Mr. Morrow. Mr. Tom Morrow. Your party from Saturn has arrived! Please give them a ring.

Por favor mantengase alejado de las puertas!

• Too far from Disney World

My family went with my grandmother a few years back and any ride she wanted to go on we were moved to the front of the line because she was in a wheelchair (she has a bad hip and can only walk a few steps at a time). The CM's were great about it and no one ever messed with her wheelchair while we were on the ride or anything. The CM's were SO helpful when we got to the entrance of a ride and let us know where to go and so forth.
    With great pride: Disney Store Cast Member August 2011-Present

D23 Charter Member - 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012

WDW Trips: June 2012, 2010, 2008, 2007, 1997, 1996, 1994

• WDW Fant! Premiere Cast

Look on your guide map for the Wheelchair entrances, usually located at the exit of the attraction. You and your party will be allowed to bypass the standing line. You may have to wait behind other wheelchair guests or for a special vehicle if you can't transfer. Some regular lines are too narrow for wheelchairs so fast passes really won't help you.

Definately bring an umbrella because it will rain, or you can use it to shield you from the sun. With the wheelchair you will also be able to sit in the designated section.

Enjoy your trip!

• KING OF CABMF'S

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    It will be crowded. I usually go around the same time as you're going for my annual birthday trip (unfortunately this year it's getting pushed back to possibly late August since my boss is on vacation for part of my birthday week and he's also going to a conference out of town at the end of the week and I need to be there to hold the fort down since I'm his assistant). It will be hot and humid. It might also rain every day since summer is the "rainy season" in central Florida, which makes it even more humid.

That being said, just relax and have fun. Don't sweat the small stuff.
    they should rename summer the boring season. it is too hot do go anywhere outside unless it is w/ a pool, too humid to get any excercise, and it is rainy every day (since last week, rain all day) and im wondering how it is possible we did not have a hurricane yet that would keep us boarded in yet.
    Ontopic: other than the seven inches of rain per day, and the humidity, heat, and tourists, august is a great time to go. im even going to WDW sometime soon (idk when, possibly before summer is over, as long as she does not have to sell a house during any specific time period) but yea, WDW is great anytime
    ADD ME.[:

1. IF YOU APPRECIATE SOMETHING THAT ISN'T THE MAJORITY OPINION, YOU'RE NOT WANTED HERE.
    2. IF THERE'S CHIPPED PAINT IN THE QUEUE FOR A LINE, EXPECT SOMEONE TO WRITE OUT A BIG STORY BASHING IT. WOOHOO.
    4. PEOPLE WHO ARE DEEMED AS 'MODERATORS' AND OTHER ADMINISTRATION ARE MORE IMPORTANT DIETIES THAN JESUS CHRIST.
    7. AS AN ADD-ON TO #6, YOU SHOULD BE TREATED AS A SUBORDINATEIF YOU ARE IN A THEME PARK WAITING 30 MINUTES IN LINE FOR A DRINK WHILE SOMEONE HAS TO RECOUNT PIZZAS.
    8. "Disney may not care to hear your comments, but we do." WTFFF??? THIS ISN'T A DISNEY FAN FORUM, IT'S A DISNETY BASHING SITE.
    9. CERTAIN PEOPLE OVER ANALYZE A SIMPLE THREAD AND CONSIDER IT TO BE A CONTRACT FULL OF LOOPHOLES THAT HE/SHE CAN GET AROUND.
    AND FINALLY...
    10. PROLONGED USE OF THIS SITE CAN CAUSE AN EXTREME HATE OF DISNEY AND ALL DISNEY RELATED THINGS.

M-U-H Muhfukka.
    [:

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by evanescence4ever View Post
    they should rename summer the boring season. it is too hot do go anywhere outside
    Ha! You should try HKDL in July and August and TDR in August especially... The heat and humidity in Orlando would feel diminished after that.

• Extremely Junior Member

We just got back the last week of June with a wheelchair. This was our first time with one. You just have to take it slow and just know that people will cut in front of you and stop right in front of you etc. This was only our 3rd trip in recent times (first in 6 years) and so we were not greatly familiar with where the wheelchair entrances to the attractions are. At some attractions you have to sit in the very back or right in front, so you don't often get your choice in the matter.

Getting around on the bus was challenging. If you can get out of your wheelchair to get on the bus you may want to do that rather than have to be strapped down in the bus. If there are other scooters/wheelchairs in fron of you, you might have to wait for an extra bus or 2. However, the nice thing is that wheelchairs do get priority in loading.

I called ahead and had Disney send me the guidebook with for people with disabilities for all 4 parks. It was nice to have the guides ahead of time and familiarize ourselves with what to expect (of course we left them at home). The only "problem" we had was that there wasn't always a cast member at the entrance to point us in the right direction. We also had a couple of cast members pointedly (1 rudely) tell us that the person in the wheelchair should be at the front of the party so that your whole party can stay together. Some unusual queue situations were at: Space Mountain - they gave you a kind of a "fastpass" based on the wait time and you came back through the fastpass line, Buzz Lightyear, at Kilimanjaro Safari you had to ride a separate bus and of course on Dinosaur it's up and down an elevator. I guess enough time has passed that I don't recall exactly the others. Getting around in some sit down restaurants was challenging as well. Overall, cast members were very helpful and accommodating.

Here's a link to Guests with Disabilities page. http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw...=PlainHomePage

I hope you have a great time and can stay cool. Oh, one other thing, make sure you bring a pillow or cushion to sit on. Otherwise, a butt nap.

I forgot that there is wheelchair seating for all fireworks, fantasmic, etc. Sometimes the view isn't perfect, but it's usually one of the better one. We had a tree blocking some of Illuminations, but it wasn't too bad. There is a limit of 3 or 4 people per party.(I think)

Quote Originally Posted by LilRah08 View Post

Last edited by Quasi; 07-13-2007 at 05:10 PM.
    That's Mr. Modo to You!

• KING OF CABMF'S

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Ha! You should try HKDL in July and August and TDR in August especially... The heat and humidity in Orlando would feel diminished after that.
    well, almost 100 degrees and 97% humidity in jacksonville is bad enough, and that is not the worst of the weather. today it was hot, humid, and rainy. i got in my pool and the second after i got in it started to rain. i wish it was 60 degrees all year and like no humidity and no rain. that would be the perfect weather for going to WDW
    ADD ME.[:

AND FINALLY...

M-U-H Muhfukka.
    [: