Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Been there-Doing it again

Quote Originally Posted by Reaver
    Thanks! Another question here - Call me clueless, but is Fantasmic! in Florida at MGM, or at Disneyworld? I really want to see the show, and see how it compares to the DL version... Is it pretty much the same show, or bigger and better? I haven't seen a direct comparison anywhere yet. Thanks all!
    OK, I'll call you clueless. Just so you know the whole complex is called Walt Disney World (Disneyworld). I suspect what you meant by Disneyworld is the park called Magic Kingdom. I'm not picking nits but trying to make sure you get the correct information about a particular park.

• Senior Minion

Is 10 calendar days to much at WDW, My wife and I don't want to be rushed.We haven't Experienced WDW AT all and want the same I's check out this site that Dlmom suggested.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries
    I would LOVE to do 10 days at WDW! God, you could relax and do everything at a slow pace and ohhh think of the restaurant action <<licking lips smilie!!! Plus, I would do Universal/IOA with that much time, I know CoasterMatt has raved about the coasters at IOA. Oh the fun in planning you will have!! I am GREEN with envy!!

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• Senior Minion

Yeah I just read about an Irish Pub maybe some local microbrews will be available. But dining and relaxing with the smae amount of time to see the entire park. That will be awesome.
    Oh on note know anybody who will ride the coasters with me? My wife is not a coaster fan. " It's not just a job, It's an adventure" Just to get her on Splash Mt. October possibly just not sure what hotel. I won't be needing a rental car either. So it should be fun.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries
    I think, IMHO, that the Poly looks veryyy romantic. From what I understand though, if you plan on going to Universal/IOA for more than one day the best bet is to stay on site there too, they have some great perks!!

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• Circle of Ancients

We are doing 8 days in November arriving on the morning of the 18th:

This is our tentative schedule:
    Day 1: Epcot/MGM
    Day 2: MGM/Epcot
    Day 3: Sea World/Animal Kingdom
    Day 4: Magic Kingdom/MGM/Epcot
    Day 5: Universal/IOA/Magic Kingdom
    Day 6: Universal/IOA/Epcot
    Day 7: Magic Kingdom/MGM/Epcot (This is thanksgiving day so basically whatever park is least crowded)
    Day 8: Busch Gardens Tampa

We are flying in and out of Tampa, and have a rental car for the week. We still haven't decided where we are staying though. Still looking for the best deal.

I know some parks close early, and some close later. We will most likely end the days at whatever park closes latest.

Now, I was thinking about the Magic Mornings and got some different type of advice.

The advice I was given was that if there is a Magic Morning at say Epcot, then avoid Epcot on that day because 10,000 resort guests will decend on the parks and steal all of the fastpasses. So instead of that, go to Magic Kingdom while all of the resort guests are at Epcot.

That made pretty good sense to me.

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries
    I agree with the magic mornings things. When we went last summer we skipped all magic mornings but one and MAN it was packed!!!

If they are still doing E-Ride nights though, that was TOTALLY worth the $$

SirClinks, are you planning on staying onsite at WDW? Or just looking for the best all around deal?

I've always thought it would be really fun to spend a few days at a MK resort and a few at an Epcot resort :o
    Last edited by dsnylndmom; 02-15-2005 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Hotel question

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• Circle of Ancients

Haven't really decided yet. We would LOVE to stay onsite, but if we did it would pretty much keep us at an All-Star level. If I can pay the same price for a Nicer Hotel that is off-site, I will.

Of course, this is figuring in the amount we will have to pay for parking if we stay off-site as well. Any hotel we pick we add $10 a day to for the parking we wouldn't have to pay.

We are actually considering spending a few nights at a Universal Hotel since they have good packages with the tickets, not to mention the Universal Express. We don't need Sea World or Busch Gardens tickets since we have the Platinum Sea World Passes. (Preferred Parking and seating even in Orlando and Tampa!!!)

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot
    Haven't really decided yet. We would LOVE to stay onsite, but if we did it would pretty much keep us at an All-Star level. If I can pay the same price for a Nicer Hotel that is off-site, I will.

Of course, this is figuring in the amount we will have to pay for parking if we stay off-site as well. Any hotel we pick we add $10 a day to for the parking we wouldn't have to pay.

We are actually considering spending a few nights at a Universal Hotel since they have good packages with the tickets, not to mention the Universal Express. We don't need Sea World or Busch Gardens tickets since we have the Platinum Sea World Passes. (Preferred Parking and seating even in Orlando and Tampa!!!)

I would defintely stay at a Univesal resort while visiting there. I hear their "on site" benefits are GREAT!!!

And be sure to check www.mousesavers.com for discounts, parts of Nov. are still value season so you may be able to check out a mod resort!

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• Super Old Guy

I find it odd that a show that from what I can tell has it's own dedicated area (unlike at DL, which is on Sawyer's Island, and in the River where boats and canoes regularly run) is less impressive than the multi-use areas here. You'd think it would be the other way around...
    They did several things to diminish the quality of this show (if you don't like spoilers, don't read the rest of this paragraph!). The seating area is quite nice, and the waterway equivalent to the Rivers of America is about the same size. They've constructed a mountain on the far side of the water, where Tom Sawyer Island would be. They use this mountain to stage scenes from Pocahontas, in place of the Peter Pan stuff (as they don't have a Columbia to act on!). For me the Poc scenes are no where near as impactful as that ship sailing across in front of the crowd. They also use quite a few more filmed segments than DL, and they jump a lot back and forth from film to island to film to island. It just doesn't have the smooth flow of the original. And the worst shortcoming is at the finale, as you expect to see something similar to the Mark Twain filled with characters. What you get is a much smaller boat that was designed to look like the boat in Steamboat Willie. Mickey's at the wheel, and there are a few characters on board, but it if you're used to the majesty of the Twain, you'll be greatly disappointed. The overall show is fine, lights are fine, fireworks are fine. But for me it's a pale imitation of DL's show - the most perfect outdoor spectacular ever performed!

I also have a few general suggestions for a WDW rookie. You won't be prepared for just how danged HUGE the place is. Even at the Magic Kingdom, which most closely correlates to your DL experience, stuff is just much farther apart. It'll take you longer to get from Adventurland to Tomorrowland. Speaking of TL, you'll be amazed at how cool a fully functioning TL is. You'll weep when you see a PeopleMover once again!

Even if you're a late riser on vacation, try to break that and hit the parks about 1/2 an hour before published opening. You can get so much done in that first couple of hours. As things get crowded in the late morning / early afternoon, take a break and go back to your hotel for a swim or a nap (CSR has a killer main pool!). Then go back to your park of choice and close it out. Remember that all parks except the MK serve alcohol - fireworks shows with a warm buzz is a pretty cool thing!

I'd pick up a couple of tour books to fill out your plans - The Official Guide to WDW by Birnbaum and the Unofficial Guide by Sehlinger. The official book is a fun read, with lots of warm and fuzzy Disney feel to it. The unofficial book is much more accurate, and has some great touring plans if you want to avoid lines and see the most stuff. I enjoy reading both books before a Disney trip just to catch up on the latest.

You've picked my favorite moderate resort on property - the CBR is really a beautiful property, with a great food court. Try breakfast there - tasty and hearty!

Keep them questions coming! I'm jealous of you - getting to see it all for the first time is really a special visit!

• Reaver of Souls

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung
    They did several things to diminish the quality of this show (if you don't like spoilers, don't read the rest of this paragraph!). The seating area is quite nice, and the waterway equivalent to the Rivers of America is about the same size. They've constructed a mountain on the far side of the water, where Tom Sawyer Island would be. They use this mountain to stage scenes from Pocahontas, in place of the Peter Pan stuff (as they don't have a Columbia to act on!). For me the Poc scenes are no where near as impactful as that ship sailing across in front of the crowd. They also use quite a few more filmed segments than DL, and they jump a lot back and forth from film to island to film to island. It just doesn't have the smooth flow of the original. And the worst shortcoming is at the finale, as you expect to see something similar to the Mark Twain filled with characters. What you get is a much smaller boat that was designed to look like the boat in Steamboat Willie. Mickey's at the wheel, and there are a few characters on board, but it if you're used to the majesty of the Twain, you'll be greatly disappointed. The overall show is fine, lights are fine, fireworks are fine. But for me it's a pale imitation of DL's show - the most perfect outdoor spectacular ever performed!
    That's sad. I expected a grander show than ours here in DL... Oh well, I'll still enjoy it. Even the one here bums me out every time I see the dragon. Remember how cool the one on the commercial was? The real one looks like a video game wireframe version by comparison. I still love the show though. Have the soundtrack and everything. The advice on this thread is fantastic! I need to print this all out and organize it. With a resource like the folks here, who needs a guidebook?!?
    Honor those who fall under the sword.
    But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

• Super Old Guy

I was just telling someone last week that the only reason I read the guidebooks anymore is to see how many errors there are in them, based on my huge knowledge base from my time online!

• Reaver of Souls

I can see that. My own knowledge has increased a great deal from the short amount of time I've been on this board. It's funny how much more many of us know than a lot of the CMs do. Nothing against CMs, I'm sure they're not as crazy about Disney as most of us, but you'd think they'd be a bit more in the know than us "civilians"...
    Honor those who fall under the sword.
    But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

• Super Old Guy

Thanks! Another question here - Call me clueless, but is Fantasmic! in Florida at MGM, or at Disneyworld?
    Just to clarify, Disneyworld or Walt Disney World is the entire property, including the 4 theme parks. The park that you're referring to as Disneyworld, the one that's most like Disneyland, is called the Magic Kingdom. And Fantasmic! is in D/MGM Studios (more and more just called the Disney Studios).

• Super Old Guy

I find it odd that a show that from what I can tell has it's own dedicated area (unlike at DL, which is on Sawyer's Island, and in the River where boats and canoes regularly run) is less impressive than the multi-use areas here.
    I was also surprised by that. The basic effects (lighting, lasers, fireworks) are easily as good as their DL counterpart, maybe even better. But for me there are 2 important factors why this show isn't as good. First is the boats on the waterway. In DL they had the Columbia and the Mark Twain, two massively impressive platforms to work from. In Florida they didn't try to recreate the Columbia, going with the less impressive island-bound Pocahontas section. And the Twain was replaced by the dinky little Steamboat, which is cute but nowhere near as impressive as the mighty Mark Twain.

The other reason I don't think WDW's version is as good is the pacing of the whole show. They mucked around with the balance between screens and live, and I just don't think they did a very good job. At times they're cutting back and forth so much that your eyes barely get a chance to focus on the island action before the water screens are coming back up again. The bubbles section (where classic Disney character heads are see floating up in a bubble montage) seems to go on forever. I don't recall ever feeling that from any section of DL's show.

I've always said that DL's Fantasmic! is the best outdoor multi-mode nighttime show that's ever been created. For WDW's version it just seems like the designers mushed around some of the elements to make it different, with no real ability to make it better. And Kyle, I don't think it's only nostalgia. On my first viewing I was aware that there would be differences, and I was looking forward to them. By the end of the show I was almost angry at the shortcomings, and that feeling has never improved with repeat viewings.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast