Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Random Thinking

Fantasmic - Yes, Disneyland's is by far better....there is just something incredible about haveing this show rise out of the areas you've been walking through and playing in all day...plus the Peter Pan scene in hands down better than Pocahontas!

Having said that, it is still worth seeing MGM's. It is kind of a nice change to sit on a bench and enjoy the show without having to peer over people's heads or have people pushing up behind you. And little kids get a clear view as well. MGM has dinner packages that include seating at Fantasmic. The seats are way over on the side, but truly, (in my opinion) any seat is good, and it beats having to wait an hour and a half (I think you need to be there 45 minutes prior to the show starting.)

Also at MGM DO TOWER OF TERROR! It is better than ours...and has some really neat effects. Don't skip it thinking that we have our own here. The line itself is worth it (the outside part.) (You can usually get a fast pass to Rockin Roller Coaster and then go ride Tower of Terror while you wait to use your fast pass. - In my experiece, that is the better way to go, as the Terror Line seems shorter becasue it is more interesting...)

at EPCOT - Take an afternoon/evening to not eat dinner and just walk around the world showcase and sample stuff. I especially love the Fish and Chips in United Kingdom and the pastry shop in France. Enjoy the little street shows they have in each country...even if you only stay for a few minutes...like the living statues in France or the acrobats in China.

At the Magic Kingdom, its fun to compare our rides to their's. Sometimes there are just little subtle differences. Other times there are whole sections added or missing.

Animal Kingdom - Kilamanjaro Safari's was already mentioned. Also, try Dinosaur...while interesting, it really makes me appreciate our Indiana Jones!

You are going for ten days....that is great for your first visit. Take it easy. Park Hop....go to one park in the morning, rest or swin in the afternoon, and go to another park at night....when I first went, I thought "no way, I'll just go to the same park each day" but my friend talked me into it, and it was quite a fun experience to mix it up.

Oh look into any resteraunts that sound appealing ahead of time. You may want to make some priority seatings before you leave. We like:
    EPCOT: The Garden Grill and Marakesh
    Animal Kingdom Lodge: Boma (and for a good counter service - Tusker House)
    MGM - The Brown Derby, The Sci Fi Diner (usually for desert)

Have Fun!!!
    525,600 minutes...how do you measure, measure a year?

• Just this guy......

Quote Originally Posted by Reaver
    I know next to nothing about the Florida experience. I'm heading out there in June, and want the best experience possible.

The first thing that you should do is buy a good pair of walking shoes and break them in NOW! The one thing about WDW is that everything is very spead out and you have to hike everywhere.

Somone mentioned renting a vacation home/condo versus a hotel. Any specific recommendations? Thanks in advance!

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ni_teach
    The first thing that you should do is buy a good pair of walking shoes and break them in NOW! The one thing about WDW is that everything is very spead out and you have to hike everywhere.

I wore flip flops the entire trip when we went in '03. Not one single problem. My boys switched between tenny's and sandals they were okay(one day problem due to rain)Hubby wore good tennys and had horrible problems due to getting soaked in the rain. Go figure! LOL

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• Old Timer

In early dec 2001 I rented a three bedroom fully furnished vacation with a heated pool for $66 a day! That was a deal because of events after 9/11, we stayed there for two weeks and still did not see all of WDW! The rental agency was Families First

We went back to Orlando for a full month in jan 2004 but this time we only visited the Disney water park Blizzard Beach, we mostly went to the OTHER parks like Universal and Sea World, the agency for that house was at Orlando Villas which is an excellant outfit with even a discussion board.

Personally I would like to have stayed onsite but in order to see all of WDW in a leisurely manner it takes at least two weeks and all that time you are buying your meals in expensive resturants, instead my family and I had home cooked meals, privacy and security, our own pool plus many extras are available like game rooms, widescreen TVs, jacuzzis and the house at Orlando Villas furnished a PC with DSL.

Another reliable outfit is AllStars Vacation homes, just visit the other major discussion boards like The Dis, WDW Magic or even Mouseplanet, ask for input and recommendations, if you find a home look for a newer one either west or south of WDW. Do not just do a generic search as you may get scammed for your money. A good home rents less than a moderate resort, good luck!
    Micechat member # 98

TARDIS
    "Time And Relative Dimension In Space."

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

The first thing that you should do is buy a good pair of walking shoes and break them in NOW!
    I made the huge mistake of visiting the World a few years back in tennis shoes that I'd just bought the weekend before. Needless to say, large foot problems ensued. It's really amazing how GIGANTIC the World Showcase is when you're hobbling in pain! Oh well, at least it was incentive to drink more (for medicinal, pain killing reasons of course)!

• Just this guy......

Now that I have a moment let me take a little bit long to explain my trip advice:

Before you make any decisions I recommend that you spend some time looking at the major Disney web sites and buy a book or two to help you plan and work through the maze of information about taking a trip. I personally have always enjoyed the ďWDW unofficial guideĒ but there are many good travel books out there. These books are a GOOD INVESTMENT because they will save you money, time and energy. This is more than worth the cover price.

Read over the books and have other members of your party also read them over. I suggest different highlight markers for each member that reads the books, marking things that they want to see or do. Knowing everyoneís interests before you leave will give you a good idea how to plane and make sure that everyone will have a good time.

Major decisions before you leave:

One of the most important decisions that you will make is to stay on property or off property. This really means staying at a Disney hotel near the parks or staying just outside the Disney real state and having to drive to the parks.

This decision is a tough one because there are so many factors to be put into it. A lot depends on your budget and personality of your group. Also be aware of so called ďpackage dealsĒ which include hotel, tickets and other things. It is often cheaper to buy things ala cart than with a packageÖ Really itís best to compare prices and save!!!

Staying on Disney Property:
    1) Disney Magic. There is something about staying in a Disney hotel. Itís hard to put into words, but it really does feel different.
    2) You can take full advantage of Disney Transportation
    3) You can take advantage of getting into the parks early
    4) Itís easier to make a restaurant reservation
    5) Itís hard, unless you have a rental car to go to any place off property.
    6) The bus transportation can be confusing and take more time than just driving to a park.

Staying off property
    1) Itís cheaper! Hands down you can save a lot of money here.
    2) You will need a rental car to get around. Unlike Disneyland where there are hotels across the street from the park. The off property hotels are a long drive to any of the parks.
    3) Itís easier to get to non Disney parks. Such as Sea World and Island of Adventure.
    4) Itís cheaper to buy breakfast and other meals off property and there are many more choices.

As strange as it might sound when I plan on going to WDW I create a spread sheet with all the hotel information and do a comparison that way. There are so many choices and options itís the only way to keep track of everything.

What to pack:

Besides your normal cloths and other items I strongly recommend that you also pack the following for each member of your group:
    1) Great walking shoes already broken in.
    2) A rain poncho which can be folded up into a little bag (which can be purchased at your local sporting goods store for a few bucks and much cheaper than the oneís found on property)
    3) A little bottle of Mosquito repellent
    4) Sun block and More Sun Block (And use it!!!! Nothing can ruin a vacation as much as a major sun burn.)

I hope that this helps you.

• Quality not quantity

Oh come folks give the guy a break. Yea I know it's the best kept secret at WDW and we don't want everyone knowing about it but I think given that he's a long time disney guy we can fess up:

TONGA TOAST!

• Look not into the eyes...

Alright, I'll bite, what's Tonga Toast??

Staying on Disney Property:
    1) Disney Magic. There is something about staying in a Disney hotel. Itís hard to put into words, but it really does feel different.
    2) You can take full advantage of Disney Transportation
    3) You can take advantage of getting into the parks early
    4) Itís easier to make a restaurant reservation
    5) Itís hard, unless you have a rental car to go to any place off property.
    6) The bus transportation can be confusing and take more time than just driving to a park.
    I agree with most of your advice, but I wanted to pick a couple of nits with the above list.

#2 - While the official company line is that staying on property gives you access to Disney transportation, they rarely (if ever) ask for any kind of ID before boarding boats, busses or monorails. I've been visiting at least a couple times a year for the past 15 years, and have not once been asked for any kind of ID.

#4 - It used to be that you had to stay on property to make advanced reservations (or as Disney calls them, Priority Seatings). As of a few years ago they stopped doing this. No matter where you stay, you call call the Disney dining number ((407) WDW-DINE) up to 90 days in advance for most locations and book your seating.

Enjoy!

• Been there-Doing it again

My advice on staying on property depends on if you have a car. The economy resorts on property offer little more than economy hotels off property and cost a lot more. Yes, they offer free transportation on site but if you have a car you can make the trip to the parks in 20 minutes rather than 40 waiting for the WDW bus. Of course it doesn't always take 40 minutes but the buses also make a few stops to other locations on the way to yours. Many off site hotels offer bus service to WDW but make sure you check on their schedule because many of them offer limited service and your bus maybe stopping at every hotel on the strip. That means it may take you 20 minutes to go 5 miles.

Having stayed at many of the WDW hotels my wife and I have decided we won't stay in the All-Stars resorts again. It's not like they weren't clean or had bad service, they were just overpriced.

I agree with your assessment of the AS resorts. I've stayed in them a couple of times, and I always feel like I'm hanging out with the Motel 6 crowd. Now before anyone tears my fat head off, I know many people stay here and love it, especially if they have kids. But I want to pamper myself at least a bit on vacation. And the AS resorts just don't do it for me. The moderates, on the other hand, are very much worth it to me (at least with the AP discount!) - plush, well themed, good value for my hard earned vacation buck.

• Old Timer

If I remember right Tonga Toast is sort of like a mega rich sweet sort of french toast at the Polynesian Resort, highly acclaimed to give you a sugar rush I have heard, BTW though I have never stayed on site If I did it may be either the Wilderness Lodge or the Polynesian. The Contemporary I dunno, its one of the first built and is the closest to the Magic Kingdom (like just next door) and the Floridian I think it is is for when you live a life of having disposable income. But the luxury is really there I hear, who knows what celebrity is just passing through there!
    Micechat member # 98

TARDIS
    "Time And Relative Dimension In Space."

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries
    Gotta agree with Xzoocrew & Dan Young on the All Star Resorts, we'll never stay there again. It's defintely worth the extra money to move up to a mod or deluxe.

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• Miranda Lambert and Me!

^^^ Unless you are broke like me, then it is GREAT to be able to go with a little bit more money in your pocket!
    Listen to me on the radio!

us101country.com Fridays- 9p-12m ET and Saturdays- 7p-10p ET

981thelegend.com Monday-Friday - 12m-6a ET

rock105.net Sundays - 10p-12m ET

You can also visit my DJ blog HERE!
    Also, I have a Myspace- CLICK HERE

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast