Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• Reaver of Souls

DisneyWorld for Newbies?

I admit it, I'm a total newbie to the East Coast brother of "my" park, Disneyland. I've been a DL AP holder for many, many years, and could probably do tour guide duty on both DL and DCA, but I know next to nothing about the Florida experience. I'm heading out there in June, and want the best experience possible. Anyone have a place to look for guidelines/pointers on how to plan and get the most out of all the parks? Anyone? Bueller?
    Honor those who fall under the sword.
    But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

• Miranda Lambert and Me!

you can visit my group on MSN: http:groups.msn.com/waltdisneyworldtrivia for an attraction synopsis. Also, what week are you going. I am planning a trip in June also, and maybe we can meet up!!!!!
    Listen to me on the radio!

us101country.com Fridays- 9p-12m ET and Saturdays- 7p-10p ET

981thelegend.com Monday-Friday - 12m-6a ET

rock105.net Sundays - 10p-12m ET

You can also visit my DJ blog HERE!
    Also, I have a Myspace- CLICK HERE

• Reaver of Souls

I'll be there June 17th through the 24th, staying at the Coronado Springs resort.

BTW, the URL in your sig doesn't work... I think it's because of the www. The one you posted in your message works fine, though. I'm there as we speak!

Awesome...I might be able to meet up with you during your stay if you would like to!!! Let me pin down some other things and I will get back to you!

Edit: I fixed my sig for those of you that want to check out my new group on MSN!!!!!
    Last edited by BigDaddyKyle; 02-08-2005 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Fixed my sig

Since you will be staying at a Disney Resort, take advantage of the Extra Magic Hours that are there for Resort Guests only. Be sure to see Illuminations at Epcot and Wishes at the Magic Kingdom.
    Attractions not to miss are:
    Magic Kingdom
    Mickey's Philharmagic, Carousel of Progress, Space Mountain - both tracks, Stitch's Great Escape, And of course the usual Disneyland ones you are used to.
    Epcot
    Mission Space, Test Track, Spaceship Earth, Ellen's Energy Adventure, Maelstrom, and if you are homesick Soarin should be open by then
    Disney MGM
    Not much here, but Tower of Terror and Rockin Roller Coaster. The new stunt show should be open by then and catch Indiana Jones stunt show as well, as it's days may hopefully be numbered.
    Animal Kingdom:
    Kilamanjero Safari, Dinosaur, Legend of the Lion King.

A well kept Disney World secret is the Trail's End Restaurant. You can get there by Air, Land, and Sea from the Coronado Resort. Lowest priced buffet at WDW and some of the best fried chicken I've ever had.
    Also dinner at O'Hana in the Polynesian is awesome.

• Reaver of Souls

Thanks! Another question here - Call me clueless, but is Fantasmic! in Florida at MGM, or at Disneyworld? I really want to see the show, and see how it compares to the DL version... Is it pretty much the same show, or bigger and better? I haven't seen a direct comparison anywhere yet. Thanks all!

Its at the MGM studios in WDW!!! It is great, but it sadly does not add up to its counterpart. I do however think that it is the best night show at WDW!!!! Just make sure you get there early to get a good seat. Otherwise you won't be able to see everything as good as you can!!!!!

• Race Car Driver

* sits quietly taking notes.........then giggles *

• Reaver of Souls

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyKyle
    Its at the MGM studios in WDW!!! It is great, but it sadly does not add up to its counterpart. I do however think that it is the best night show at WDW!!!! Just make sure you get there early to get a good seat. Otherwise you won't be able to see everything as good as you can!!!!!
    I find it odd that a show that from what I can tell has it's own dedicated area (unlike at DL, which is on Sawyer's Island, and in the River where boats and canoes regularly run) is less impressive than the multi-use areas here. You'd think it would be the other way around, in that they could surpass DLs show, because of all the effects they could put into a self-contained area... :confused:

Its just the nostalgia of it! I believe that one BIG thing about it is that DL uses the big steamboat and WDW a scale versoin of Steamboat Willie that is rather quite small!

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries
    I really like www.allearsnet.com for WDW planning, the menu section is GREAT (hey that's a high priority for some of us, right Disguy??)

When we took the kids for the first time in 03 I also used The Unofficial Guide to WDW. I know alot of people swear by the Passporter. I think allearsnet is great though!!!

(nothing against your site BDK, just helping out )

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• Gloomy Day, probably rain

Quote Originally Posted by Reaver
    I admit it, I'm a total newbie to the East Coast brother of "my" park, Disneyland. I've been a DL AP holder for many, many years, and could probably do tour guide duty on both DL and DCA, but I know next to nothing about the Florida experience. I'm heading out there in June, and want the best experience possible. Anyone have a place to look for guidelines/pointers on how to plan and get the most out of all the parks? Anyone? Bueller?
    You are so lucky, I haven't been for over 15 years. I mostly did Epcot center and very little of World. Wish I could afford to go back!

Quote Originally Posted by dsnylndmom
    No prob...My site is a fan site and is still being built. I just started on it in late,late December. Check it out in the next couple of months for more and more stuff...If you become a member then you will get an announcement each time a new page is added!!!!!

• Race Car Driver

Quote Originally Posted by dsnylndmom
    I really like www.allearsnet.com for WDW planning, the menu section is GREAT (hey that's a high priority for some of us, right Disguy??)

When we took the kids for the first time in 03 I also used The Unofficial Guide to WDW. I know alot of people swear by the Passporter. I think allearsnet is great though!!!

I have that book as well "The Unofficial Guide to WDW"
    Awesome Book!
    Yes, it is fast....

No, you can't drive IT.

Drive it like it's stolen.

• Ride Operator

Lots of good tips here. I am a California native and was a long time AP holder too. But, through my job at an airline, have been lucky enough to be able to go to WDW oodles of times.

You are wise to stay on property. I have not stayed at Coronado Springs, but I have driven by and it looks pretty.

Since you have been a DL AP holder, and because you are staying 7 nights, I am willing to bet you appreciate more than just the "majors", so here are some other things you'll like:

MK:
    - Their jungle cruise has a neat indoor part kinda like what Marty Sklar wanted to do at Disneyland for the 50th.
    - Their Pooh is better, and the bouncing makes more sense than at ours.
    - If you are deep in the park during the fireworks, don't try to fight your way out. Instead, take advantage of the peace and quiet and grab a bench in the paza or in the rose garden with a view of the castle.
    - Mickey's Philarmagic is excellent.

EC:
    - In the unlikely event Wonders of Life is open, then Cranium Command is a must-do.
    - Like our PoC, Spaceship Earth only has a line in the morning. You will be able to walk on in the afternoon and evening.
    - Also like at MK, after Illuminations take your time leaving the park. It's fun walking through Epcot when it's quiet - especially World Showcase.

MG:
    - Have dinner once at the Prime Time Cafe or lunch at the Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater.
    - Their Muppetvision preshow area is better decorated - otherwise the shows are identical.

AK:
    - I have never spent more than four hours here. I guess Kilimanjaro Safari is fun once, but otherwise the only cool thing is Dinosaur, IMHO. And you've already seen "It's Tough To Be A Bug"

MISC:
    - You will likely take the motor coaches (buses) to the parks. But, be sure to park hop between MK and EC. That way, when you go to the Transportation & Ticket Center you can ride both the monorail and ferry boat. Different experiences.
    - Take the resort monorail and visit Grand Floridian, if for no other reason than just to walk around.
    - Ditto for the Contemporary, but there you should go up to the roof and see the view.
    - One night you could take a stroll out the International gate at Epcot and head over to the Boardwalk. They have a few restaurants and it makes a fun alternative to Pleasure Island. The catch is, if it's late, you'll need to find a creative way to get back to your hotel. Probably Boardwalk -> Pleasure Island -> Coronado Springs.
    - Definitely take advantage of Extra Magic Hours - but double-check with the resort prior to arrival for the latest schedule. I just went in January and they changed the park arrangement between the time they told me and my arrival. Messed up my planning a bit but you gotta go with the flow!

That's all I can think of for now. Have a magic time!
    He is not a beachboy! He's studying marine biology there on the floating city.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast