Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Why can't you tune a fish

General Cruise Information

First off, forgive me if this is in the wrong section. I could not find a Disney Cruse section, and it is leaving out of FL, so I figure it's close enough.

OK, so now I am a DVC member (yeah, they sucked me in - really, taking a very hard look at it, it works for me) and I get a whopping 320 bonus points to use within 7 months. Well I want to use them with my kids, so I was looking at by the end of August (before school starts). Problem is nobody could go with us on that short notice (either funds or vacation schedules) so it would be a little silly using them on a 2 bedroom home for the 3 of us. Long story short, we booked a 3 day cruse instead.

So my question here is, what advice can anyone give me on the Disney Cruse? Yeah, I know thats very general. I will have more specifics as time goes on. I still have to book a plane and wrangle transportation from the airport to the port. So lets start there. What time should I plan on my arrivial and departure flights?

Thanks

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

• Defying gravity

Re: General Cruse Information

Welcome Home!!!!

I assume you bought at AKV...

I believe that a Disney Cruise Line bus will pick you up from the airport. A trip such as this might require some special planning because I think a good majority of Disney Cruises are land/sea vacations in conjunction with WDW. I would call Disney Cruise Line first and see if transportation from the airport is assumed or must be reserved/arranged ahead of time.

Good luck planning. Have fun!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPrincess4590 View Post
    Welcome Home!!!!

I assume you bought at AKV...

I believe that a Disney Cruise Line bus will pick you up from the airport. A trip such as this might require some special planning because I think a good majority of Disney Cruises are land/sea vacations in conjunction with WDW. I would call Disney Cruise Line first and see if transportation from the airport is assumed or must be reserved/arranged ahead of time.

Good luck planning. Have fun!!!

Thanks,

Nope, I bought into Saratoga Springs. They were offering both, but Saratoga is cheaper - both in initial outlay and in maintainance. ALK does not thrill me. In fact the decor in the mock-ups seems so dark and foreboding. (yes, it is subject to change).

I have to call and set everythin up. We are not going to do a land/sea as this is sort of a "bonus" trip. Its just a bit of a short notice.

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

• Banned User

the cruiseline has transfers from the airport to the terminal but I believe they are extra cost from the cruisefare. the best thing for you to do is contact the cruiseline directly and they can answer most of your questions. I know you can't get on the boat until after noon and you can't get into your rooms until 1:30ish. make sure you do a trip report when you get back I for one can't wait to see pictures of the boat!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cmash95 View Post
    the cruiseline has transfers from the airport to the terminal but I believe they are extra cost from the cruisefare. the best thing for you to do is contact the cruiseline directly and they can answer most of your questions. I know you can't get on the boat until after noon and you can't get into your rooms until 1:30ish. make sure you do a trip report when you get back I for one can't wait to see pictures of the boat!!!

Thanks

Oh you can be sure there will be a big 'ol TR after this one.

-dave

• World Traveler

Try and leave plenty of time for your flights.

If at all possible, fly down the day before your cruise. You can stay at WDW, or near the port. If you must fly the same day, tey and make it the first flight out, and if at all possible, nonstop.

Boarding starts at around noon, so you might want to be at the port for that. You can board until around 3:00 PM.

On your return flight, make it after Noon. The ship usually arrives very early and you can be off the ship around 9:00 AM or before, so you have plenty of time to get back to the airport and fly home.

Is this your first cruise?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeland View Post
    Try and leave plenty of time for your flights.

If at all possible, fly down the day before your cruise. You can stay at WDW, or near the port. If you must fly the same day, tey and make it the first flight out, and if at all possible, nonstop.

Boarding starts at around noon, so you might want to be at the port for that. You can board until around 3:00 PM.

On your return flight, make it after Noon. The ship usually arrives very early and you can be off the ship around 9:00 AM or before, so you have plenty of time to get back to the airport and fly home.

Is this your first cruise?

Yep, this is my first cruse. I am debating if I should go down a day early and stay at WDW.

I fly out of Newark NJ. Outbound in the AM is usualy on time 9and direct) its the inbound in the afternoon when the arport shuts down because of the afternoon thunderstorms (yeah, we get them too) that flights get delayed.

-dave

• Banned User

My advise is... hit the top deck and position yourself close to the Soft drink and cookie self-help bar. Watch the shows. Try to dress better than your average person on the cruise. Eat at Palo's at least once. Use the stairs often as the elevators are very small and crowded. Arrive at check-in in Canaveral early. Take the long 7 day or longer cruise. Enjoy Castaway Cay for me since we could not stop there due to hurricane damage.

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    My advise is... hit the top deck and position yourself close to the Soft drink and cookie self-help bar. Watch the shows. Try to dress better than your average person on the cruise. Eat at Palo's at least once. Use the stairs often as the elevators are very small and crowded. Arrive at check-in in Canaveral early. Take the long 7 day or longer cruise. Enjoy Castaway Cay for me since we could not stop there due to hurricane damage.

Soft drink a cooke self help - great, then after that its the running track, right?

Dress better - does that mean I need to leave my black socks and sandals at home?

7 day is not in the cards. 3 or 4 were the only sailing at the right times. I tried for the 4 but they did not have the cheaper staterooms, so we did a 3 in a deluxe stateroom instead. Woo-hoo personal balcony

Thanks for the advice. Ill check out Palos

-dave

• Defying gravity

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Thanks,

Nope, I bought into Saratoga Springs. They were offering both, but Saratoga is cheaper - both in initial outlay and in maintainance. ALK does not thrill me. In fact the decor in the mock-ups seems so dark and foreboding. (yes, it is subject to change).
    I agree. We looked at the AKL for the first time this trip and it just did not excite us. The AKV showrooms look very nice, but I prefer the "resort" feel of SSR better.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

What's a "cruse"?

Oh you mean cruise!

Signed,
    You local correct spelling freak

• Banned User

i forgot about the self serve drink station. make sure you bring a big mug and fill up there and then you don't have to pay for it in the bars. Soda is also free in the dining room at meal time. TDLFan had some great suggestions and i have to admit I am a bit jealous cause i have to wait until next may to see the boat. have a wonderful cruise!!!

• Banned User

I forgot the all-you can eat pizza and burger counter...

Gosh! I love "Cruisin'"!!!

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    What's a "cruse"?

Oh you mean cruise!

Signed,
    You local correct spelling freak

It's related to part 7/28 - ka-ZING! (sorry about that)

-dave

This is too much like work

I may even save money by going down a day early and getting a room, as the airfare savings more than offsets the room costs.

I have to call tomorrow and see how much the transfers cost. I also found out my room is right next to the elevators - so I need to see if I can get that changed. Suff like that does not bother me most of the time, as I get used to noise, but better to be safe than sorry.

-dave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast