Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Banned User

Electric Umbrella... a deal?

Today, I stopped by the Electric Unbrella for a quick meal... In the past, my usual favorite items here are the Chicken strips, Medium size soda and toll house cookie for dessert.

Today, I ordered the same exact items... but.. wait! Things don't look the same... The chicken strip basket looks a bit smaller that I recall... with a slightly lesser amount of fries than I am normally used to getting here... but maybe I am just imagining this.. My medium size soda? Hmmm... looked like the medium size cup has shrunk to what may be concidered a "small" size cup... And those tasty tollhouse nestle cookies that were chewy and fresh (as if baked on property) and placed in a big Disney paper container, have now become a pre-packaged food item from some generic company somewhere in the midwest, and the 2 cookies in the package are conciderably smaller as well.

However, not all is lost in this predicament... we now have the self service soda fountains across from the food delivery counters, so guests can help themselves to free refills at will. Of course, with smaller cups, guests are forced to make more trips to the soda dispensers, effectively increasing traffic in those "work for it you guests!!!" areas. The former salad toppings bars are GONE! ...and replaced by the equally traffic heavy condiment tables.

Ok. Fine. But I have to ask... Is Disney so affraid that free refills will kill their budget to change the size of the soda cups they use, and to change the amount/quality of food they serve here to maintain their earning quota?

Gee.. if McDonald's can charge slightly less for a combo meal with bigger free-refill cups, and slightly larger fries containers.... what stops Disney from doing the same? After all, isn't the Electric Umbrella a Disney-operated knock off of McDonalds' type of business? Furthermore.. why is Disney charging $6++ for a single item meal (#6 is a chicken strip platter, NO bev included), and asking for a further $2++ for a now refillable soda cup... which totals almost $9, when at McDonald's I can get nuggets, fries, and drink (medium size) for less than $6???

Is the Electric Umbrella a deal? You be the judge. I am only presenting facts here. Thankfully for me, I stopped by the Pizzafari and had a more satisfying meal just 3 hrs later since my lunch at Electric umbrella, which felt more like a light afternoon snack than a regular meal.

But to end this post on a happy and positive note... Yes, I do enjoy the chance to refill my own cup as often as I can and better yet, I *LOVED* the type of ice being dispensed by those self-service soda fountains. So to you all I say... REFILL ALL YOU CAN MATES!!! REFILL LIKE THERE IS NO TOMORROW!! (a land BTW..that is simply deplorable at this MK park... but that's a different topic altogether...)

• Banned User

Re: Electric Umbrella... a deal?

wow I agree with you.

Might want to report that to guest services and let them know that guests are aware of this cost cutting and are not pleased. I will do the same.

• Why can't you tune a fish

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Today, I stopped by the Electric Unbrella for a quick meal... In the past, my usual favorite items here are the Chicken strips, Medium size soda and toll house cookie for dessert.

Today, I ordered the same exact items... but.. wait! Things don't look the same... The chicken strip basket looks a bit smaller that I recall... with a slightly lesser amount of fries than I am normally used to getting here... but maybe I am just imagining this.. My medium size soda? Hmmm... looked like the medium size cup has shrunk to what may be concidered a "small" size cup... And those tasty tollhouse nestle cookies that were chewy and fresh (as if baked on property) and placed in a big Disney paper container, have now become a pre-packaged food item from some generic company somewhere in the midwest, and the 2 cookies in the package are conciderably smaller as well.
    I doubt any cookie that is branded "TollHouse" was baked anywhere near WDW - or for that matter anywhere. Nestle sells giant frozen packs of them through restaruant suppliers such as Sysco. They also sell snazzy re-heating ovens made to impart that fresh baked texture. Funny thing is, I can no longer find them on line. All the suppliers that used to list them, now just list generic frozen cookies. I wonder if Nestle stopped making them.

If McDonald's can charge slightly less for a combo meal with bigger free-refill cups, and slightly larger fries containers.... what stops Disney from doing the same? After all, isn't the Electric Umbrella a Disney-operated knock off of McDonalds' type of business? Furthermore.. why is Disney charging $6++ for a single item meal (#6 is a chicken strip platter, NO bev included), and asking for a further $2++ for a now refillable soda cup... which totals almost $9, when at McDonald's I can get nuggets, fries, and drink (medium size) for less than $6???

Because it's the magic of Disney. Watch how fast we can remove that pesky money from your wallet. Now isn't it easier to walk around now that your wallet is lighter? Just smile and nod and walk away.

Is the Electric Umbrella a deal? You be the judge. I am only presenting facts here. Thankfully for me, I stopped by the Pizzafari and had a more satisfying meal just 3 hrs later since my lunch at Electric umbrella, which felt more like a light afternoon snack than a regular meal.
    Nothing in WDW is a deal (except Figaro fries )

But to end this post on a happy and positive note... Yes, I do enjoy the chance to refill my own cup as often as I can and better yet, I *LOVED* the type of ice being dispensed by those self-service soda fountains. So to you all I say... REFILL ALL YOU CAN MATES!!! REFILL LIKE THERE IS NO TOMORROW!! (a land BTW..that is simply deplorable at this MK park... but that's a different topic altogether...)

What sort of ice is this? Personaly I never really got excited over ice, unless maybe its made from gin

-dave
    Last edited by Phonedave; 07-17-2007 at 06:53 AM.
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

• If We Can Dream It...

I agree whole-heartedly with TDLFAN. The food services at WDW pretty much downright suck.

I noticed food all over WDW being less than impressive on my last trip. Especially at Flame Tree BBQ, they've really cut back on how much they're giving you with your "combo".

I get that when your in the park your a captive audience for their food department but, seriously the prices on food and especially drinks is terrible. I'm not surprised that it's more than my local McD's or BK but, honestly that much more? It is ridiculous anymore. Low prices can go a long way towards increased business, look at Target and Wal-Mart , it wouldn't kill Disney to...
    - Horizonsfan

• World Traveler

I also ate at the EU on Saturday. Too bad we couldn't meet up, TDLFAN.

I agree with all your comments about the exorbitant prices and smaller size portions, but it's the same reason why Disney doesn't have pricing promotions for admission. They don't need to lower prices because people will pay more for Disney.

One side comment I wanted to make was about the menu options. Item #1 was a double cheeseburger with bacon and item #2 was a double cheeseburger.

I don't eat cheese, so I asked for a SINGLE burger without cheese (I don't eat cheese) - yep, they had it for $1.00 less. Of course, it wasn't on the menu, so most people will just fork over more money for something they don't really want.

Off topic i know but wow this thread is making me hungry

• KING OF CABMF'S

Quote Originally Posted by mikeland View Post
    I don't eat cheese, so I asked for a SINGLE burger without cheese (I don't eat cheese) - yep, they had it for $1.00 less. Of course, it wasn't on the menu, so most people will just fork over more money for something they don't really want.
    once i ordered a veggieburger with cheese, and i got the veggieburger, and the cheese? oh, just in a separate plate still in plastic wrap
    back on topic: i dont like electric umbrella. it may be the fact that its not vegetarian friendly, its overpriced, and yes, i did notice that the food seems to be shrinking magically.
    I prefer sunshine seasons just across Innoventions at the Land. the food is better, they have bigger portions, and its one of those 'unique' meals, with their food stands selling authentic asian food and salads, oh, and their sandwiches.
    Electric umbrella sells the same stuff that the other restaurants do, but yes, probably smaller in size and the price may be going up as well in the future, or maybe the present. There are many things to complain to guest services about, so im guessing the cheapness of disney at their restaurants is another thing.
    They probably did this so in two hours after scaling world showcase you get hungry and go buy a Creme brulee in france for $6 more. disney really is getting a bit on the cheap side.
    ADD ME.[:

WHAT I'VE LEARNED FROM MICECHAT...
    1. IF YOU APPRECIATE SOMETHING THAT ISN'T THE MAJORITY OPINION, YOU'RE NOT WANTED HERE.
    2. IF THERE'S CHIPPED PAINT IN THE QUEUE FOR A LINE, EXPECT SOMEONE TO WRITE OUT A BIG STORY BASHING IT. WOOHOO.
    3. IF YOU'RE UNDER THE AGE OF 24, YOU'RE AN 'EISNER BRAT.'
    4. PEOPLE WHO ARE DEEMED AS 'MODERATORS' AND OTHER ADMINISTRATION ARE MORE IMPORTANT DIETIES THAN JESUS CHRIST.
    5. YOU CAN EXCPECT TO BE BADLY REPPED IF YOU TRY AND MAKE A SERIOUS POINT.
    6. YOU ARENT TAKEN SERIOUS IF YOU'RE UNDER THE AGE OF 16.
    7. AS AN ADD-ON TO #6, YOU SHOULD BE TREATED AS A SUBORDINATEIF YOU ARE IN A THEME PARK WAITING 30 MINUTES IN LINE FOR A DRINK WHILE SOMEONE HAS TO RECOUNT PIZZAS.
    8. "Disney may not care to hear your comments, but we do." WTFFF??? THIS ISN'T A DISNEY FAN FORUM, IT'S A DISNETY BASHING SITE.
    9. CERTAIN PEOPLE OVER ANALYZE A SIMPLE THREAD AND CONSIDER IT TO BE A CONTRACT FULL OF LOOPHOLES THAT HE/SHE CAN GET AROUND.
    AND FINALLY...
    10. PROLONGED USE OF THIS SITE CAN CAUSE AN EXTREME HATE OF DISNEY AND ALL DISNEY RELATED THINGS.

M-U-H Muhfukka.
    [:

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    I doubt any cookie that is branded "TollHouse" was baked anywhere near WDW - or for that matter anywhere. Nestle sells giant frozen packs of them through restaruant suppliers such as Sysco.
    You may or may not be right, however, back in the early 80s (when WDW was a much better place) when I was a CM, I used to fill in at the Sleepy Hollow counter place in Liberty Square. Periodically during the day, we used to get Nestle tollhouse cookies from the main kitchen behind the MK, where as far as I was told, the kitchen cast would use the nestle dough (per the contract with Disney) and bake the cookies daily for sale at Sleepy Hollow. Of course, I don't expect the same quality at WDW anymore 20 yrs later, but... god.. do I remember getting those fresh chewy cookies, with melted chocolate chips and nice fresh smell... Hmm! Hmm!

• Fightin' Texas Aggie

Head over to Sunshine Seasons in the Land. Our prices might be a little higher, but at least our food is better....we also have the tollhouse cookies in the paper wrappers. You can also say hi to a CM who looks alot like me...hmm

• Sock Puppet

Its a great place! They better fix this if they dont want to lose costumers.Maybe they should make it bigger so they can have the ol and the new items back.It would make it better.

You may or may not be right, however, back in the early 80s (when WDW was a much better place) when I was a CM, I used to fill in at the Sleepy Hollow counter place in Liberty Square. Periodically during the day, we used to get Nestle tollhouse cookies from the main kitchen behind the MK, where as far as I was told, the kitchen cast would use the nestle dough (per the contract with Disney) and bake the cookies daily for sale at Sleepy Hollow. Of course, I don't expect the same quality at WDW anymore 20 yrs later, but... god.. do I remember getting those fresh chewy cookies, with melted chocolate chips and nice fresh smell... Hmm! Hmm!
    You may be right. It may have been dough that either Nestle supplied to all outlets, or maybe they worked a deal with Disney. Stranger things have happend. 20 years ago was about the time my interest in retail food marketing was just starting to grow

I just looked in the horses mouth so to speak - Nestle Food Services, their industrial/bulk sales wing

http://www.nestlefoodservices.com/fo...4&pcid=121&pid=

Right now all they offer are warm and serve and "frozen pucks" - yeah, sorry if that ruins anyones memories of warm chewy WDW cookies, but thats the industry term, so eat your frozen pucks and enjoy

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

You may be right. It may have been dough that either Nestle supplied to all outlets, or maybe they worked a deal with Disney. Stranger things have happend. 20 years ago was about the time my interest in retail food marketing was just starting to grow

I just looked in the horses mouth so to speak - Nestle Food Services, their industrial/bulk sales wing

http://www.nestlefoodservices.com/fo...4&pcid=121&pid=

Right now all they offer are warm and serve and "frozen pucks" - yeah, sorry if that ruins anyones memories of warm chewy WDW cookies, but thats the industry term, so eat your frozen pucks and enjoy

Warm and serve (pre baked)

Instructions
    Using Warmer model 690-1 and 690-2 SET UP INSTRUCTIONS: 1) Place Warmer in desired location. 2) Place wire rack in warmer. 3) Insert trays over wire rack. 4) Turn on warmer. USAGE INSTRUCTIONS: 1) Allow warmer to warm up for 1 hour. 2) Remove trays from warmer. 3) Place parchment paper on each tray (optional). 4) Load cookies onto parchment paper. 5) Place loaded trays into warmer. The Nestlé Toll House Warmer keeps cookies warm for up to 6 hours - while merchandising the powerful Nestlé brand. Cookies are best served within 2 - 4 hours. ALTERNATIVE WARMING INSTRUCTIONS: 1) Cookies may be rapid-heated in 2-4 minutes at 325 degrees F. in a convection oven or 375 degrees F. in a conventional oven. 2) Cookies can also be slacked out and served at room temperature.

Frozen pucks (bake yourself)

ChocChip Frzn Cookie Puck 2 oz.
    #1907 SKU #00-13800-41451-00
    Premium ready-to-bake cookies packed with real Nestlé Toll House morsels. Nestlé Toll House Chocolate Chip cookie is the classic. It bakes up to a rich, golden brown cookie overflowing with rich and creamy Nestlé Toll House semi-sweet chocoalte morsels. Light crunch with a soft chewy center.

Now THATS good eating.

-dave

• Yes?

I have to pretty much agree with TDLFan here...the quality of all counter service throughout the parks has gone downhill(with the exception of Figaro fires of course Phonedave )
    ....EU used to have a really tasty ham sandwich on a pretzel roll that they got rid of a couple years ago. Their selection is very disappointing to me now. And don't get me started on the new food selections in the Land....they are a little better than your run of the mill mall food court type food everywhere else but I miss the little baked goods and barbeque stands that used to be in there. Pretty much it has all turned into food court type of fare that is mass produced on even a lager scale so as to lose the quality control.
    Quote Originally Posted by larasound View Post
    am I the burrito man?

I think it's a crappy trade-off to get free refills but lose the toppings bar (my favorite part of eating at EU). I'll still take a smaller cup, though....

...at least in WDW there are still (as far as I know) two size beverages available (since I almost always share). In DL, you're stuck purchasing a one size fits all 21oz. beverage for, last March it was $2.19.

Last time I checked in WDW (April), a regular fountain drink (21 oz) was $1.99 and the 32 oz. was $2.29....still a ripoff? Sure, but it really ticks me off (for some reason) that there's only one size fountain drink available in DL.

Oh, and Mike, I also do "special" orders to save money (and avoid crummy fries and food I don't need whenever possible). If I really want fries I'll go to a McD's fry cart, not take the soggy WDW fries (sorry to those who do not like the McD invasion of WDW). Usually I'll just take a burger (no cheese) and enjoy, then pick up a different snack later, instead of eating all the fries.

I don't have kids, but I find it nauseating when I see a table of 2 adults and 3-4 kids each with his or her own meal (complete with fries all over the place, not eaten) and each with his or her own drink. I cannot fathom how much an "average" family spends daily in WDW for food.
    "When entering the theater, please move as far to the end of the row as possible. Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic." -Sam Eagle

"I may have invented these bifocals I'm wearing, but I can assure you they're not rose-colored" -Ben Franklin, The American Adventure

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by TheJames View Post
    Head over to Sunshine Seasons in the Land. Our prices might be a little higher, but at least our food is better....we also have the tollhouse cookies in the paper wrappers. You can also say hi to a CM who looks alot like me...hmm
    I am not overly excited about the Seasons menu in the Land either. While the food selections are slightly better and plentiful, the portions of the side items are very small and carry a hefty price that I would prefer to pay in other places around town off Disney. Also, that place is too noisy, with the long lines in and out of Soarin, and that stupid kids kitchen experiment going on by the Symbiosis exit. One more question.. you would not happen to be the same James that didn't know how to prepare my food and got ticked off when I returned it for being poorly prepared... are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Sabres2006
    If I really want fries I'll go to a McD's fry cart, not take the soggy WDW fries (sorry to those who do not like the McD invasion of WDW).
    I feel sorry for YOU, because my inside sources have told me before the fries they sell in those McD-sponsored carts/counters are the same one used in any other restaurant in the parks, only sold in McD containers as required by the agreement... The point is to sell McDonald's name, not their actual food, except for some of those outlets selling gross chix nuggets... YUK!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast