• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Chefs de France?

How good is it?

I try to do something different every time I visit WDW and considering I've been a regular visitor for almost 30 years..... it's getting harder to find things I haven't done yet! I realized I've never had a meal in France (or French food in general), so I booked my belated birthday lunch to myself there next month.

• She was sweet as a peach

Re: Chefs de France?

Great!
    I have been there a couple of time and always get the same thing:The French Menu.
    For about $18 you get french onion soup, grilled ham and cheese sandwich, salad and a large dish of creme brule'. (It is much more elegant than it sounds.) The meals tend to be a little pricey so this is a good deal.

Yeah I saw that on the menu. That's a good deal. I'm thinking about getting that or the chicken.

• Clearing my Calendar

We love it! I haven't been to WDW in seven years, so I can't vouch for it recently.

But it's an awesome experience! Have fun!
    "But every night, when it gets dark
    and the stars come out,
    I'll look up on her behalf.
    I'll look up in the sky and think of you."

• Why can't you tune a fish

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    Yeah I saw that on the menu. That's a good deal. I'm thinking about getting that or the chicken.

Since you have never had french food, you won't be confused

They call it a croque monsieur on the menu, but its not like any croque monsieur I have seen. Its very "americanized". The french version is a wonderfull broiled messy beast usualy with gruyere cheese. The one at Chefs is a grilled ham and cheese sandwich. Good, but not what I was expecting.

Chefs is also supposed to be a classic French brassere, which it is. A brassere serves good hearty food, and is a noisy friendly warm place - sort of like an upscale diner in the US. Some people are expecting a upscale fine dining place when they go there and end up diasppointed. Brasseres are by no means cheap dining, they can and do serve some very very good food, but the atmosphere is different.

I don't have "heros" per se, but as far as food people I respsect, the chef here http://www.leshalles.net/ is one of them.

You could of course go upstairs for the snails and frogs legs appitizer (and no I have not done that - yet, someday though )

Erzats croque monsieur - the lunch version (good bread and tomato)

-dave
    Last edited by Phonedave; 07-17-2007 at 09:03 PM.
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

• Banned User

I thought the bistro was upstairs and the fine dining was downstairs. I have always wanted to eat the le chefs but either couldn't get reservations, or the people I was with didn't want to eat there. Hope you enjoy your birthday celebration.

• I am number 4 of 999

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE Le Chefs de France!!!

• Shablagoo!

I ate there in 2001 and loved it. Definitely worth it!

• Main Street with a friend

I ate there in May and it was fabulous! I had not been since I was a child and it was a very pleasant experience. The lobster bisque is great, if you like that sort of thing.
    "All our dreams can come true.....if we have the courage to pursue them."
    - Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by Cmash95 View Post
    I thought the bistro was upstairs and the fine dining was downstairs. I have always wanted to eat the le chefs but either couldn't get reservations, or the people I was with didn't want to eat there. Hope you enjoy your birthday celebration.

The bistro is upstairs, and is open for dinner only

Chefs is downstairs and is open for lunch and dinner

And yes, oddly enough a bistro would be a touch less formal than a brassire, but in the wacky world of EPCOT, Bistro de Paris is a more formal (and expensive) restaruant.

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

Glad to hear the good words about this place. I get nervous when I try new places to eat that I don't know much about.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Sorry, but my experience is a bit different. I've eaten at Chefs several times over the years. I thought it used to be excellent, but the last couple times have been not that good. It might have been bad luck, but I had entre's that were very lame, and kind of surly service.

On the other hand, I've just discovered the Bistro de Paris upstairs (think of it as a separate restaurant), and I can't say enough about it. Wonderful food, terrific service, and a nicer, more elegant atmosphere. Of course, it's still within a Disney park, so there are plenty of folks with shorts and tshirts. I actually tried the frog legs last time, and they were pretty yummy (sorry, Kermit!).

Between the two restaurants, the Bistro wins by far in all categories - atmosphere, food, service.

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    Sorry, but my experience is a bit different. I've eaten at Chefs several times over the years. I thought it used to be excellent, but the last couple times have been not that good. It might have been bad luck, but I had entre's that were very lame, and kind of surly service.

On the other hand, I've just discovered the Bistro de Paris upstairs (think of it as a separate restaurant), and I can't say enough about it. Wonderful food, terrific service, and a nicer, more elegant atmosphere. Of course, it's still within a Disney park, so there are plenty of folks with shorts and tshirts. I actually tried the frog legs last time, and they were pretty yummy (sorry, Kermit!).

Between the two restaurants, the Bistro wins by far in all categories - atmosphere, food, service.
    I could have sworn I saw Onglet (hanger steak) on the menu once when I walked by. I was going to try and get in there last time I was down but I didn't see it on the menu, so I passed.

They do share a kitchen, but it is seperate, and has more upscale (and expensive) food.

-dave

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

So I have to ask - what is Onglet (hanger steak)?

My first visit, I think I ordered a ribeye steak, which came out perfectly. But the table next to me got some kind of steak that they cooked right at the table, with BRICKS of butter melted on the flame and over the steak. It looked and smelled spectacular! Next time . . .

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    So I have to ask - what is Onglet (hanger steak)?

My first visit, I think I ordered a ribeye steak, which came out perfectly. But the table next to me got some kind of steak that they cooked right at the table, with BRICKS of butter melted on the flame and over the steak. It looked and smelled spectacular! Next time . . .

Did it smell slightly of beef kidney? If so, that be a hanger steak.

It is from right below the diagphram. There is only one per cow, and they are about a pound, so you can see why they are "rare"

They are very tender, and very very instensly beef flavored.

When I cook steaks I stick butter on them too. If I am going to eat the calories, I might as well go all the way

Hanger steak looks sort of like the shape of two lungs put together. There is a line of gristle down the middle of it (between the "lungs")

-dave