Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• at one with the Mouse

What are the benefits of working at WDW

Hey everybody I am moving to Orlando next month and plan on working in the parks. Does anyone know what the benefits are to work there, i.e. discounts, park admission etc.

• Disneyholic

Re: What are the benefits of working at WDW

Good question, I am actually considering doing that when I retire... dare to dream... Anyway I believe you can still "walk in" family members and you get discounts for park tickets and disney hotels for yourself and immediate family. There is something called the D-Store where you can uy pins and other merchandise ate really low rates but again I think thats for personal use only (e.g. no underground ebay store for you) They used to have special nights for CM's and their families to enjoy the parks as well but I don't know if that's still happening or not.

Outside the parks I believe there are various places in the area that will give you discounts if you show them your cast member ID since you are considered part of the "hospitality" industry down there.... at least one or two bar's/restaurants last time I checked.

I know I will get corrected on most of this but this is what I remember from when I was looking at working down there back in the late 80's-early 90's when I was not locked into a career yet... ahh happy time, happy times...
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

• Sock Puppet

Are you working there just for special benfits? Not to be rude but Disney is a place to enjoy,not to get special gifts.

• Rat Tat Tat.

Consider the benefits part of your pay, since your pay will likely be relatively low. Anyway...you'll get to experience the Disney Difference AKA all of their discounts, special events, and services. Free admission for yourself. Admission for others (depending on your status and time working there). Plenty of online discounts, typically 20% off Disney merchandise and food discount. Lots of benefits. Enjoy and take advantage of them, don't let them disappear!
    Last edited by revol yensid; 07-19-2007 at 05:07 PM. Reason: clarification

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by BrerBrian View Post
    Hey everybody I am moving to Orlando next month and plan on working in the parks.
    Oh God..another gonner....
    Please tell me you are not moving to Orlando just for WDW...

Does anyone know what the benefits are to work there, i.e. discounts, park admission etc.
    Most people there work for the free admission to the parks, the merchandise discounts, retirement and credit Union services... Certainly not for the pay which is simply 3rd World lousy...

• Why can't you tune a fish

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Oh God..another gonner....
    Please tell me you are not moving to Orlando just for WDW...

Most people there work for the free admission to the parks, the merchandise discounts, retirement and credit Union services... Certainly not for the pay which is simply 3rd World lousy...

Is the retirement that great ? Not that I am planning to go to work for Disney (they would have make one heck of an offer to get me to do that) but would be suprised if they had a good retirement plan. Most companies are doing away with it (I myself wove bye-bye to any additional pension credits about a year ago)

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

• Another trip down I-4

Related question: is it possible to work part time and request a Monday - Friday schedule? My friend is looking at getting a part time job, but she has Saturday classes - so can't work Saturdays.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Is the retirement that great ? Not that I am planning to go to work for Disney (they would have make one heck of an offer to get me to do that) but would be suprised if they had a good retirement plan. Most companies are doing away with it (I myself wove bye-bye to any additional pension credits about a year ago)

-dave
    Old WDW employees don't retire - they just join the cast of the Haunted Mansion!
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

I would love to work at WDW myself.
    TRADING CREDITS AT ALL TIMES!! PM ME!!

• at one with the Mouse

Angry Re: What are the benefits of working at WDW

Quote Originally Posted by awesomerocks View Post
    Are you working there just for special benfits? Not to be rude but Disney is a place to enjoy,not to get special gifts.
    I'm sorry but thats a Simon Cowl statement, kind of like not to be rude but your the worst person ever.....
    Trust me, its just a dream of mine to be immersed in the parks for a while. Benefits are something that come with most jobs. I don't consider insurance and employee discounts "special gifts". I just want to make sure I don't still have to by a pass to get in outside of work hours. For the most part I don't consider the small perks you get for working long hours in a job (especially retail) some special gift I don't deserve. If you worked in a place and they denied you benefits would you enjoy it? I won't stop enjoying Disney, thats why I want to work there....not to be rude.

• at one with the Mouse

Talking Re: What are the benefits of working at WDW

Thanks for the responses so far, I've always wondered about things like park admission and discounts for CM's. I know I'll definitely take a substantial paycut, but its worth it to me just so I can be there.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • MC Director of Sales and Marketing

Blog Entries

Moderator Note:

Let's play nice please. This is a great topic. Let's not ruin it with sniping. Thanks.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse princess View Post
    Of course I am worried about your mental health. I want happiness for all. Like we can all be like the Smurfs. But without Gargomel. He was mean.

And what of the "other" benefits? How many hours does one have to work a week to get healthcare?

• Why can't you tune a fish

Quote Originally Posted by BrerBrian View Post
    Thanks for the responses so far, I've always wondered about things like park admission and discounts for CM's. I know I'll definitely take a substantial paycut, but its worth it to me just so I can be there.

Just go into it with open eyes. I am not trying to be rude here or to dash your dreams, but going with a job because you like the product they produce is NOT a good reason to take that job. Especially when it involves a pay cut and a massive relo.

Just go into it with your eyes wide open. I love WDW and while I may have wanted to work there when I was "starting out" I no longe whish to do so. I have a pretty good situation where I am right now, and I have the benefit of having worked at a few other jobs before this. The grass allways looks greener, but sometimes its painted concrete.

I really do hope everything works out for you, you move to FL, find a great job with Disney, are happy at your work, and make enough scratch to live a comfortable life. But before you take that leap, take a good look at what you may be walking away from.

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Just go into it with open eyes. I am not trying to be rude here or to dash your dreams, but going with a job because you like the product they produce is NOT a good reason to take that job. Especially when it involves a pay cut and a massive relo.

Just go into it with your eyes wide open. I love WDW and while I may have wanted to work there when I was "starting out" I no longe whish to do so. I have a pretty good situation where I am right now, and I have the benefit of having worked at a few other jobs before this. The grass allways looks greener, but sometimes its painted concrete.

I really do hope everything works out for you, you move to FL, find a great job with Disney, are happy at your work, and make enough scratch to live a comfortable life. But before you take that leap, take a good look at what you may be walking away from.

-dave
    This coming from a guy who lives in Jersey

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast