Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Gum ... it's everywhere ...

Remember hearing why DL (and later WDW) didn't sell chewing gum anywhere?

How Walt knew people spit it anywhere and he didn't want to help them?

How DL and WDW used to have CMs whose job was cleaning it off the pavement?

Well, those days might as well be ancient history because in my visit this week, all I saw was gum everywhere.

Take the walkway down from the MK monorail station and it's all over ... at Epcot take a look at the Six Flags like gum trail on Test Track as soon as you pull out of the loading zone, literally hundreds of blobs ... still at Epcot, take a walk into the newly renovated Land pavilion and look down at the carpeting ... there's blotches of gum all over ... take a walk over to the Beach Club and look down as you walk the hallway leading from the quiet pool to the lobby ... yep, a four-diamond resort with gum in the carpeting.

I don't really have anything else to say ... but this is just another example of WalMarting the product ... saying 'our guests are pigs, we can't spend the money to clean up after them.'

Discuss.

• Geoff London

Re: Gum ... it's everywhere ...

We've had clothes ruined by gum on seats. Sidewalks are covered in the stuff. It's time a massive tax was placed on the hideous stuff to pay for its removal. It's just part of the mind - set we have today. Buy a burger, eat it and throw the container on the floor. And as for gum itself - just think of the germs that may be in it. And, yes, Disney should do more to discourage it and they should tackle the clean up problem. In Singapore it's banned.
    Now I'll turn that little mouse's dream into a nightmare Fantasmic !

• Pilot EdForceOne

I stepped in fresh gum right in front of an ODV cart by nemo in DLR
    Gum was all over the pre-show scenes in Autotopia in DLR...etc etc

This is not just a WDW problem..
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Minion

This is completely unacceptable, Disney should stop selling gum in their parks immediately. Any gum that is spotted should be immediatley cleaned up.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Disney doesn't sell gum. And as far as cleaning up the gum... in some areas of the MK, namely Main Street, it has become a lot harder to clean. Why? New pavement that isn't flat. It has rocks embedded into it, and it's designed to always look dirty. Custodial CMs can't get the stuff off. Gum used to come off when the high pressure steam cleaning was done nightly to all the walkways. That cleaning doesn't happen nightly any longer. As a result, the gum can sit and get embedded into the pavement and remain there for almost a month before that pavement sees steam. And by then, it's too late, the gum is stuck there permanently.

The current VP of the MK should be fired immediately for this. He's installing new pavement all over the park. But he's not keeping it up, and brand new pavement, something that costs about 1000 dollars a block, is being wasted because it's not being cleaned properly. At the rate the MK is going, he's wasting an investment in pavement north of a million dollars because he's not going to pay to upkeep the new stuff the way it is supposed to be upkept.
    Last edited by Bill; 07-21-2007 at 12:52 PM.
    -Bill

• Banned User

A few years ago, I was chewing gum inside TDL (I bought it outside the park) and was waiting to ride Big Thunder Mountain. There I was..chewing away as I waited my turn... Then, when I got to the female CM who assigns the row you are to be seated at, she respectfully pointed at her mouth and gestured for me to spit the chewing gum into a trash receptacle nearby *before* being placed in a row to ride the train. I was mortified for breaking the rules and being seen by everyone around having to discard my chewing gum in such fashion. I could feel the rolling eyes all around me.
    You would never ever see a CM in the states direct a guest to do the same thing.., ever!

However, I hate that some rides' queues and sets have become "Chewing Gum Galleries". Disney does not sell it, but sadly, there is no way Disney can't stop guests from bringing it in, unless those wasted "Security" hosts doing bag searches can confiscate them at the entrance. Point is.. not until CMs boarding rides are empowered and supported by their managers to make decisions and enforce the rules and regulations of the park, will this problem be diminished or eliminated altogether. Disney needs to go back to the days when a line greeter was out there telling guests to finish their drinks and food *BEFORE* entering the queues/lines. This is still done at TDR... so why not at the other 4 resorts?? Budgets? Staffing shortages???

Disney needs to stop being soft with guests and start to get tough on guests who break rules. Period. Or else risk the parks to become mere Six-Flags operations where dreams do not quite come true.

• Minion

ORWEN: Well, I'm just shocked, TDLFAN. To think that you'd be one of those chewy-chewy types with a mouth fully of gooey-gooey. The next time I see you, I'm going to have to wash your mouth out with lie soap--made just yesterday in a big, black cauldron!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva View Post
    ORWEN: To think that you'd be one of those chewy-chewy types with a mouth fully of gooey-gooey.
    Nope, I am not going to play along and crack a joke...even if I am bleeding for biting into my lower lip. But hey.. wanna go to "The Club" and gooey-gooey?

• Banned User

Walt would definate not approve of this.

• Pilot EdForceOne

In DLR... Al would tell you it's staffing.

Many attractions are staffed by as little as 1-2 CMs. In WDW.. I see tons more just wandering between their assignments or whatever.

They have people standing at the FP return.. why can't that person pay attention to the people entering the standby queue. When guests see others being corrected, or get corrected themselves enough, they'll start to respect the signs on the queues.. even when there are no CMs at the entrance.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

personally, I much prefer taking a soda in the line with me. When they first started allowing it, and not making you dispose of the soda, etc I thought that Disney had finally learned something about customer service.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by usofa View Post
    personally, I much prefer taking a soda in the line with me. When they first started allowing it, and not making you dispose of the soda, etc I thought that Disney had finally learned something about customer service.
    I beg to ask... have you learn anything about trash cans? Because the problem with guests who bring food/beverages into queues is that they seldom use them trash cans while in queue, leaving their rubbish for everyone else to see. Plus to add insult to injury, Disney has cut back in staffing to make sure them queues remain clean thru the day...
    I disagree with you on this: Disney has not learned anything about Customer service by allowing guests to bring their food and bev into the queues... They have however learned to increase their profit coffers by allowing you to continue to buy more more more more food and bevs, hence the non-enforcement of simple rules like "No food/bev in waiting areas or during rides/shows". Our magical experiences have turned into piggy areas in the process.

• When Will It Return?

Quote Originally Posted by usofa
    Well I figured I was allowed to bring my drink into a queue as long as there was a trash can I could dispose of it in before I got on the ride.

There has been the occasional time when I forgot I was holding it until I realized I was about to get on the attraction. When that happened a nearby CM was always willing to take my drink and take care of it.

I wish people would be more willing to a) find a trash can; or b) swallowing their pride a little bit and ask a CM to dispose of their cup for them. Just dropping it randomly should be grounds to receive sneers, scowls, grumbling, and even a 'hey aren't you going to put that in a trash can??'

I say if you don't want people to stick gum in places, or litter, or whatever like that - say something to them when you see it. If everyone was a little bit on the vigilant side with that, you'd see far less of it around.

-- PMM

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

• Geoff London

Quote Originally Posted by usofa View Post
    Until one gets tipped all over you! Coke down a new T shirt is SO delightful. Why can't people go without something for a short while so that a comfort zone is created for all. One big hate for me at DLRP is the smoking in lines. I just want to hose the obnoxious cretins. But getting back to gum. Ban the wretched stuff.
    Now I'll turn that little mouse's dream into a nightmare Fantasmic !

• When Will It Return?

Quote Originally Posted by geoffa View Post
    One big hate for me at DLRP is the smoking in lines.
    Holy cats - France still isn't smart enough to ban smoking from at all least indoor places??? Jeez...

-- PMM

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast