Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Post Monorail extensions?

At one point, Disney had planned to expand the resort-wide monorail system, but then during the Eisner era it was shelved. Have they revisited this at all, and will we ever see an Animal Kingdom-Disney/MGM line?

• Banned User

Re: Monorail extensions?

i think its been deemed way to expensive to do plus some of the land is too unstable to hold the footings.

• KING OF CABMF'S

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    At one point, Disney had planned to expand the resort-wide monorail system, but then during the Eisner era it was shelved. Have they revisited this at all, and will we ever see an Animal Kingdom-Disney/MGM line?
    It has been planned in the past, but now its only a rumor. I asked a Driver a while back and they said sometime this year they would reconsider the idea, but nothing has been released yet (i ask the same guy each time i go to WDW )
    ADD ME.[:

WHAT I'VE LEARNED FROM MICECHAT...
    1. IF YOU APPRECIATE SOMETHING THAT ISN'T THE MAJORITY OPINION, YOU'RE NOT WANTED HERE.
    2. IF THERE'S CHIPPED PAINT IN THE QUEUE FOR A LINE, EXPECT SOMEONE TO WRITE OUT A BIG STORY BASHING IT. WOOHOO.
    3. IF YOU'RE UNDER THE AGE OF 24, YOU'RE AN 'EISNER BRAT.'
    4. PEOPLE WHO ARE DEEMED AS 'MODERATORS' AND OTHER ADMINISTRATION ARE MORE IMPORTANT DIETIES THAN JESUS CHRIST.
    5. YOU CAN EXCPECT TO BE BADLY REPPED IF YOU TRY AND MAKE A SERIOUS POINT.
    6. YOU ARENT TAKEN SERIOUS IF YOU'RE UNDER THE AGE OF 16.
    7. AS AN ADD-ON TO #6, YOU SHOULD BE TREATED AS A SUBORDINATEIF YOU ARE IN A THEME PARK WAITING 30 MINUTES IN LINE FOR A DRINK WHILE SOMEONE HAS TO RECOUNT PIZZAS.
    8. "Disney may not care to hear your comments, but we do." WTFFF??? THIS ISN'T A DISNEY FAN FORUM, IT'S A DISNETY BASHING SITE.
    9. CERTAIN PEOPLE OVER ANALYZE A SIMPLE THREAD AND CONSIDER IT TO BE A CONTRACT FULL OF LOOPHOLES THAT HE/SHE CAN GET AROUND.
    AND FINALLY...
    10. PROLONGED USE OF THIS SITE CAN CAUSE AN EXTREME HATE OF DISNEY AND ALL DISNEY RELATED THINGS.

M-U-H Muhfukka.
    [:

• Golden State of Mind

i think once Iger wakes up it will eventually be done, it will be $$$ but eventually done. . . in a while . . . a long while
    Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

• Little Miss Sunshine

I don't think there are any plans. It's terribly expensive to do, but it'd be nice if they could get the beams out to all the parks!
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

• May the F=ma be with you

The main reason as to why an expansion will have to wait for 10 or so years is the cost.
    When the original path was built, it cost $1 million per mile. If an extension were to be built today, it would cost around $1 million per beam and support. This would mean that the cost would be around $1.5 to $2 billion just for beamway. Roughly 25 trains would have to be ordered costing $1 million per car. The fial cost would be way over $2 billion.

Of course, the cost would fluctuate depending on how long the extension will be. An EPCOT-MGM line is feasible. In fact, some support foundations have been poured but have since benn covered over. However, A line connecting all 4 parks, EPCOT Resorts, DTD and maybe a couple of more resorts would cost so much that it may surpass WDW's anual profit.

The distances between these places are great. The current system has a beam length of 15 miles. If the beam would be extended to all of these other places, it would be as long as 30 miles.

Also, a new TTC would have to be built to accomadate for all of these different lines. The amount of transfers for one to get to DTD to AK or AKL may be 3 or 4.

If it ever is done, I'm sure that WDI would come up with an ingenious solution. Right now, busses seem to be more economical. However, if an expansion were to be done, the monorails would, in the long run, be more effecient.

This is a map of the expansion.

As you can see, it is so much longer than the current 3 lines.
    Last edited by WDW Monorail; 08-03-2007 at 09:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

/\
    Hmmm very interesting. So we could see some momentum building on this eventually.

• KING OF CABMF'S

Well, if its so expensive, lets just cash in Phil Holmes' automatic door and use the money to pay for the track
    ADD ME.[:

WHAT I'VE LEARNED FROM MICECHAT...
    1. IF YOU APPRECIATE SOMETHING THAT ISN'T THE MAJORITY OPINION, YOU'RE NOT WANTED HERE.
    2. IF THERE'S CHIPPED PAINT IN THE QUEUE FOR A LINE, EXPECT SOMEONE TO WRITE OUT A BIG STORY BASHING IT. WOOHOO.
    3. IF YOU'RE UNDER THE AGE OF 24, YOU'RE AN 'EISNER BRAT.'
    4. PEOPLE WHO ARE DEEMED AS 'MODERATORS' AND OTHER ADMINISTRATION ARE MORE IMPORTANT DIETIES THAN JESUS CHRIST.
    5. YOU CAN EXCPECT TO BE BADLY REPPED IF YOU TRY AND MAKE A SERIOUS POINT.
    6. YOU ARENT TAKEN SERIOUS IF YOU'RE UNDER THE AGE OF 16.
    7. AS AN ADD-ON TO #6, YOU SHOULD BE TREATED AS A SUBORDINATEIF YOU ARE IN A THEME PARK WAITING 30 MINUTES IN LINE FOR A DRINK WHILE SOMEONE HAS TO RECOUNT PIZZAS.
    8. "Disney may not care to hear your comments, but we do." WTFFF??? THIS ISN'T A DISNEY FAN FORUM, IT'S A DISNETY BASHING SITE.
    9. CERTAIN PEOPLE OVER ANALYZE A SIMPLE THREAD AND CONSIDER IT TO BE A CONTRACT FULL OF LOOPHOLES THAT HE/SHE CAN GET AROUND.
    AND FINALLY...
    10. PROLONGED USE OF THIS SITE CAN CAUSE AN EXTREME HATE OF DISNEY AND ALL DISNEY RELATED THINGS.

M-U-H Muhfukka.
    [:

Blog Entries

Unless they can find a way to do this much cheaper I doubt we'll ever see any more monorail track.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

That picture I think could be changed. If they move the entrance to Animal Kingdom it's certainly feasible, like on the right hand side instead of all the way over to AKL, behind Coronado Springs.

Also the DTD extension doesn't have to go all the way to the end of DTD, it could have a station on the west side, they have the boats to take you over to the East side anyway.

I'm sure it's to expensive and I think that map would be great, but they could cut it shorter for the expansion and save some of the cost.

• "There's always my way"

interesting indeed. I've been going to disney since Epcot open and always wondered why they never built an extension when they did MGM, and later Animal Kingdom. The only problem with the buses is having to wait for them. I rather much drive. I hope someone at Disney approves at least a monorail to MGM studios. That'll be a start.

"Since the dawn of recorded time, communication has revolutionized our lives and changed our world. We now have the ability and the responsability to build new bridges of acceptance and cooperation between us. To create a better world for ourselves and our children as we continue our amazing journey aboard Spaceship Earth." - Jeremy Irons (Spaceship Earth)

• враг народа

Blog Entries

The biggest problem is that there is no order to the hotel placement. Guests on property would still have to use buses to at leats get to the monorail.

• She was sweet as a peach

That picture I think could be changed. If they move the entrance to Animal Kingdom it's certainly feasible, like on the right hand side instead of all the way over to AKL, behind Coronado Springs.
    I thought the same thing. Kind of like how they have a back entrance into Epcot.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by WDW Monorail View Post
    This is a map of the expansion.

As you can see, it is so much longer than the current 3 lines.
    Well, that map is nothing like any expansion plans I've seen except the DTD section... which is similar. Not to mention that map isn't to scale, nor does it have the parks in the correct places... so I'm gonna say you should have used a satellite image to do this. lol

As far as the price, I'm willing to bet you could connect the two remaining parks & DTD for only a billion dollars. Sure, you'd have to have some switches in places, but I think it would work.

Unfortunately, I do not believe that monorails are the future for WDW. Superior technology exists that would fit guests needs much better at this time.
    -Bill

• May the F=ma be with you

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Well, that map is nothing like any expansion plans I've seen except the DTD section... which is similar. Not to mention that map isn't to scale, nor does it have the parks in the correct places... so I'm gonna say you should have used a satellite image to do this. lol

As far as the price, I'm willing to bet you could connect the two remaining parks & DTD for only a billion dollars. Sure, you'd have to have some switches in places, but I think it would work.

Unfortunately, I do not believe that monorails are the future for WDW. Superior technology exists that would fit guests needs much better at this time.
    Of course, this is just an unofficial layout sketched onto a park map. I have seen much better ones out there. If I have the time, I'll look for one tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast