An Obligatory Bridge Thread

As everyone in the world has undoubtedly heard by now, the busiest bridge in Minnesota, located about 20 miles south of where I am writing from collapsed on Wednesday. This tragedy has sprung forth countless inspections and unnerving conclusions about the American infrastructure, and it seems Walt Disney World is not free from these.

I happened to look up Disney on MSNBC's latest report on American bridges, and discovered that the bridge over the tramway at the Transportation and Ticket Center is especially low in the ratings.

Now in a time when people complain about paint and light bulbs, doesn't it make you feel great that the bridges of Disney World are now in question too?

Any thoughts?

Oh yeah, here's the link.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20099059#OSCEOLA
    In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate.

DoppelV

• I was deleted.

Re: An Obligatory Bridge Thread

Yeah, there is a thread about it here DoppelV: Bridge Collapse in Minneapolis, MN

I have yet to think about about other bridges... this whole thing just creeps me out.

• Why can't you tune a fish

Its because PPM (proactive, preventitive maintenance) is not sexy.

Everybody wants a new ride in the park, everyone wants their taxes lowered (or used to put in a new town pool), everybody wants their highway dollars used to repave the road.

Have someone say they spent $1M inspecting a bridge and they ended up replacing 2 girders and a bunch of bolts and nobody says great job. I came *this* close to working for a bridge inspection firm but did not because I knew that in lean times thier clients would end up dropping them. I also did not feel like doing NYC subway inspections.

The fact is, inrastructure is like any other machine, it needs to be maintained and even if it is, it will not last forever. Nobody expects a car to last forever, even with regular maintenance, but at the end of 60 years say you need to replace a bridge and people have a hissy fit. So guess what, they slap a patch on the bridge and thats that.

As far as the WDW bridge compared to garbage and paint. Yes, a bridge failing can cause much more damage, but it is all part of the same problem. The garbage and paint is what we CAN see, think about what we cannot see. So now everybody go and thank WDW1974 and TDLFAN for their efforts.

And its not just WDC, it is everywhere. It has even happend to me.

-dave
    Last edited by Phonedave; 08-04-2007 at 12:54 PM.
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

• Little Miss Sunshine

I went over one of those obsolete bridges today (at I4 and 436).
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

• Defying gravity

Hmm....shouldn't the Reddy Creek Improvement District be listed under the Florida counties in that link. Last time I checked, WDW was not in Orlando or Orange County.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPrincess4590 View Post
    Hmm....shouldn't the Reddy Creek Improvement District be listed under the Florida counties in that link. Last time I checked, WDW was not in Orlando or Orange County.
    WDW surely is in Orange County, and a tad bit in Osceola County, as well. Where do you think those well-dressed sherrif's deputies come from???

Quote Originally Posted by CleveRocks View Post
    WDW surely is in Orange County, and a tad bit in Osceola County, as well. Where do you think those well-dressed sherrif's deputies come from???

You are both right.

WDW is in the Reedy Creek Improvement District, which is an improvement district, think of it like a condo association (its not, but it works for now) It is not a county

Inside the RCID are two cities, Lake Buena Vista and Bay Lake - both of which are in Orange County

However, WDW, which is also in the RCID, is in both counties. as was said above, the bulk is in Orange, with a bit in Osceola as well.

It was the creation of the RCID and it immunity from most laws that is the reason WDW does not gets its rides inspected by the state.

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

• May the F=ma be with you

I really don't like all of the bad press scrutinization that most bridges are getting. There have been several articles in the local paper that warn readers of the possibility that the 4 bridges leading out of where I live may collapse. They also explained how people were very upset and worried that the bridges weren't being maintained because of these superficial flaws.
    OF COURSE THERE IS A CHANCE!!!!!
    Do people not expect a possible failure. Nothing is fail-proof. Just like any structure in the world, man-made or natural, there is a chance of failure due to human error, stress, fatigue or mother nature itself.

Now, if people see a spec of chipped paint on a bridge, they vow to never drive over it again. Chipped paint or cracked pavement, while a possible sign of fatigue, is not a gauranteed sign of structural damage. These occur mostly because of weather.

I drove over the Bayonne Bridge a couple of hours ago. I noticed several areas of chipped paint (most notibly on the NJ side). However, I was not worried for a second that there would be a failure of the system.

Surely I'm not saying that you should not be aware that superficial flaws may be signs of a possible collapse. I'm just conveying that a small pavement or paint crack is not something that should prevent you from traveling on these bridges.

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Its because PPM (proactive, preventitive maintenance) is not sexy.
    Correct! Upkeep doesn't make headlines nor win elections

What make voters happy? The new bypass.. or extra lane on the road... not the 4 months of temporary closures to do upkeep on an overpass or bridge... that at the end of lay folks say 'what did they do that for, its the same as it was before!'

The story of aging infrastructure has been going on forever.. the public just can't hold onto it for more then about 3 weeks after a major accident.

The story is the same if its bridges... water mains... power subsystems... etc.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPrincess4590 View Post
    RCID isn't a county.. think of it more (loosely) like a city of its own.. in that it performs many of the same functions as a municipality.. but is not a county of its own.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• May the F=ma be with you

Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

• Defying gravity

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    RCID isn't a county.. think of it more (loosely) like a city of its own.. in that it performs many of the same functions as a municipality.. but is not a county of its own.
    Quote Originally Posted by WDW Monorail View Post
    Ooops....

Quote Originally Posted by WDW Monorail View Post
    I drove over the Bayonne Bridge a couple of hours ago. I noticed several areas of chipped paint (most notibly on the NJ side). However, I was not worried for a second that there would be a failure of the system..

Well sorrrrrry about that chipped paint.

Wasn't the Bayonne Bridge just rehabbed a year or two ago. I am in Bayonne (ohhhh I dying) about once a month, but rarely cross over into your neck of the woods.

Come drive on the Pulsaski Skyway, whoever designed that thing must have been on dope. Freaking entrance ramps coming up in the CENTER of the bridge between the traffic lanes. It think it was listed as a "bridge in trouble" as well.

-dave