Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Minion

Re: 'Compare to Disney' on Universal's Website

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    I'm thinking Universal hasn't updated that comparison page in a very long time since it doesn't include Everest and the revamped Pleasure Island.
    Fear Factor Live just opened last year and that is included on the page, so I doubt it is a lack of updates.

• Minion

Another thing I just realized - the page also fails to mention that Universal features rides from some classic movies, such as ET and Jaws. I guess these atractions wouldn't fit in with their other attractions though based on today's hottest entertainment.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by kirbilicious View Post
    Another thing I just realized - the page also fails to mention that Universal features rides from some classic movies, such as ET and Jaws. I guess these atractions wouldn't fit in with their other attractions though based on today's hottest entertainment.
    Double standards.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• Pirate - G'har!

Hehe, well pointed out. I think the prime example of Disney difference (I'm talking just Orlando here) is in drop rides. Universal can build a typical double space shot, stick Dr.Doom on it and some 'I will destroy' speech before the launch and that's an E-Ticket for them. WDW couldn't just do a drop ride, that's not what Disney's about, so they made Tower of Terror. Aw crap, I had a bad feeling this would turn into a Disney vs. Universal thread. Meh, what the hey.

• Geoff London

Quote Originally Posted by fizzog View Post
    Hehe, well pointed out. I think the prime example of Disney difference (I'm talking just Orlando here) is in drop rides. Universal can build a typical double space shot, stick Dr.Doom on it and some 'I will destroy' speech before the launch and that's an E-Ticket for them. WDW couldn't just do a drop ride, that's not what Disney's about, so they made Tower of Terror. Aw crap, I had a bad feeling this would turn into a Disney vs. Universal thread. Meh, what the hey.
    Er- Maliboomer, Paradise Pier - DCA?

It depends if you get sucked in by this "We are better than you" marketing. I like to think I can make an educated choice - I choose WDW as my main stay but I do go to Universal for a day or two. It isn't about "Are you sick of kissing Princesses?" I'd like to see a ride at Disney that uses the calibre of "Spiderman" technology. Dinosaur is OK but it doesn't compare to the Indiana Jones ride at DL despite being the same technology. Perhaps if Disney laid off with the Nemo and Stitch obsessions and thought about some thrill rides. I'm NOT Disney bashing - I love the place - but there are some areas that need tweeking to keep up with today's demanding customers. What is going to happen with "Wonders of Life" pavilion for example?
    One interesting thought is that at DLRP, if you stay at certain on property hotels you are given a certain number of open ended Fastpass tickets. Universal allow on property guests to jump line. How's that for a comparison?
    Last edited by geoffa; 08-08-2007 at 06:15 AM.
    Now I'll turn that little mouse's dream into a nightmare Fantasmic !

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by geoffa View Post
    Er- Maliboomer - DCA?
    Well, we all know that Walt Disney Imagineers really dropped the ball with California Adventure. Who can blame them, given their extremely limited budget?
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• Pirate - G'har!

I wrote '(I'm just talking Orlando here)' as in the Disney difference between Disney and Universal in Florida. And at least Maliboomer makes thematic sense as a cheap carnival attraction unlike Dr.Doom...hehe

Im a fan of both Disney and Universal. Yes, their comparison is biased, but ever since IOA opened, Universal Orlando has had a HORRIBLY BAD marketing strategy.

It is difficult to convince people that IOA and the new attractions at Universal are both themed as well as Disney, but not trying to copy Disney, while still showing that they're not like a local amusement park (that people still dont understand unless they visit). It's a difficult balance to prove that its family friendly, well themed, but more thrilling than what you can find at the Disney parks.

So far they haven't succeeded so they resort to other tactics. I dont like it but its what they're doing

Anyway, in 2009 it wont matter because people will flock in droves to Harry Potter land at IOA and they'll see how nice the rest of it is.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisFL View Post

Anyway, in 2009 it wont matter because people will flock in droves to Harry Potter land at IOA and they'll see how nice the rest of it is.
    I'm kinda hoping Disney's attendance suffers a little when HP land opens because it will force them to further improve the parks.

• Pirate - G'har!

Quote Originally Posted by geoffa View Post
    One interesting thought is that at DLRP, if you stay at certain on property hotels you are given a certain number of open ended Fastpass tickets.
    No you're not!

• Senior Minion

It will take a veeeerryy niave person to fall for this Universal spin. I'd be interested to see the WDW version of this comparison although I doubt that Disney would stoop so low.

To my mind, this kind of 'dirty tricks' campaign damages Universal more than it helps them.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

• Pirate - G'har!

I think alot of unkowing families would be taken in though. Not everyone's a theme park nerd hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by fizzog View Post
    I think alot of unkowing families would be taken in though. Not everyone's a theme park nerd hehe.
    yep, with as many people as I've met asking "you mean Universal isn't part of Disney?"

• One big touch screen.....

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisFL View Post
    yep, with as many people as I've met asking "you mean Universal isn't part of Disney?"
    Oh God.

And I thought "well I've been to Disney, now I'm going to EPCOT" was bad......

• Pirate - G'har!

hehe

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast