Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• Pirate - G'har!

'Compare to Disney' on Universal's Website

http://www.universalorlando.com/disney_comparision.html this is the link to Universal Orlando's 'Compare to Disney' page of their website. This thread is not only to discuss what we think of the page and how it spins things or how it proves valid points, just general discussion. Also, the information is wrong as 'Expedition Everest' is not listed under WDW's roller coasters (if there are any other things you consider faults please post). I think while the substance is (mostly, I think) fact, it is very clever in its presentation with Universal's attractions having flashy promo images and bright hyperlinks. What do y'all think? (I have nothing against Universal I just thought this was an interesting page)

• Minion

Re: 'Compare to Disney' on Universal's Website

Funny, because I actually was involved in a discussion on another site about this a few months ago. The comparison page really bothers me. First of all "Today's Hottest Entertainment" vs. Disney with "Yesterday's Classic Fairytales" - since when are Toy Story and Monsters INC "classic" fairytales? Fear Factor was also cancelled last year. Not exactly "hot". The roller coasters section is a huge stretch. Pteranodan Flyers listed as a roller coaster? Give me a break. As you've mentioned too, Everest is mysteriously absent. How do Shrek 4D, Twister, and Jimmy Neutron classify as thrilling attractions? Essentially we have a movie, a show featuring a cow on strings, and a ride based on a children's cartoon. Yes, so thrilling. This site ignores the fact that Fastpass is free to all guests and they also make it seem as if there is no advantage to staying on site at Disney. I have no problem with Universal but that page is very misleading.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by kirbilicious View Post
    Funny, because I actually was involved in a discussion on another site about this a few months ago. The comparison page really bothers me. First of all "Today's Hottest Entertainment" vs. Disney with "Yesterday's Classic Fairytales" - since when are Toy Story and Monsters INC "classic" fairytales? Fear Factor was also cancelled last year. Not exactly "hot". The roller coasters section is a huge stretch. Pteranodan Flyers listed as a roller coaster? Give me a break. As you've mentioned too, Everest is mysteriously absent. How do Shrek 4D, Twister, and Jimmy Neutron classify as thrilling attractions? Essentially we have a movie, a show featuring a cow on strings, and a ride based on a children's cartoon. Yes, so thrilling. This site ignores the fact that Fastpass is free to all guests and they also make it seem as if there is no advantage to staying on site at Disney. I have no problem with Universal but that page is very misleading.
    I agree. If anything, that page only shows how desperate Universal is to draw guests away from Walt Disney World. They should take a hint. Why don't they build some quality attractions and dazzling shows instead of pathetically trying to make their resort sound better than the spectacular Walt Disney World; it's not even close.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• One big touch screen.....

Quote Originally Posted by TDR_Fan View Post
    Why don't they build some quality attractions and dazzling shows instead of pathetically trying to make their resort sound better
    And get rid of their Nazi photographers(!)

From the second you enter the park (IOA at least) you're harrassed by an army of pushy, camera waving staff members, desperate to sell you a picture. The brave souls who don't want one have to gallantly fight their way through to the back of the Port of Entry.

Goes with Universal's 'in your face' approach on property and online with that comparison chart.

Good luck....

• Minion

I agree. If anything, that page only shows how desperate Universal is to draw guests away from Walt Disney World. They should take a hint. Why don't they build some quality attractions and dazzling shows instead of pathetically trying to make their resort sound better than the spectacular Walt Disney World; it's not even close.
    I agree. They're just taking cheap shots at Disney which leave casual guests misinformed. Reading that makes me lose respect for the company. I've heard people mention before that their commercials in the past year or so in Florida focused on Disney-bashing. Can anyone confirm this? They really need to find a better way to market themselves.

• Pirate - G'har!

They also have ticket offers specifically designed to beat Disney (see 'unlimited admission for less than the price of one day at disney' on the home page, I mean, that promotion doesn't even make sense)

• Minion

I agree. They're just taking cheap shots at Disney which leave casual guests misinformed. Reading that makes me lose respect for the company. I've heard people mention before that their commercials in the past year or so in Florida focused on Disney-bashing. Can anyone confirm this? They really need to find a better way to market themselves.
    Yes, their commercials did make it seem like the Disney parks were dated and for little kids. I remember it mocking the attractions by comparing them side by side with clips from the attractions at Universal Studios. From what I could tell, they were trying to make the resort seem juvenile and old fashioned. What was very unfair was that they chose to pair dated and mild attractions like it's a small world and the Fantasyland dark rides with advanced attractions like Spider-Man, Jurassic Park, and Revenge of the Mummy. And the only park that they featured in that commercial was the Magic Kingdom. They didn't even bother to showcase even one of the advanced attractions in any of the parks at Walt Disney World.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Also, doesn't Pleasure Island not have a ticket? Just individual clubs' cover charges? That really doesn't seem to be a fair comparison anymore either.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Minion

Yes, their commercials did make it seem like the Disney parks were dated and for little kids. I remember it mocking the attractions by comparing them side by side with clips from the attractions at Universal Studios. From what I could tell, they were trying to make the resort seem juvenile and old fashioned. What was very unfair was that they chose to pair dated and mild attractions like it's a small world and the Fantasyland dark rides with advanced attractions like Spider-Man, Jurassic Park, and Revenge of the Mummy. And the only park that they featured in that commercial was the Magic Kingdom. They didn't even bother to showcase even one of the advanced attractions in any of the parks at Walt Disney World.
    Wow - that does seem really desperate and pathetic. Do they still run commercials like this?

• Pirate - G'har!

Seemingly they can't advertise on their own strengths so prey on Disney's 'weaknesses'.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I'm thinking Universal hasn't updated that comparison page in a very long time since it doesn't include Everest and the revamped Pleasure Island.

• Pirate - G'har!

Isn't there some law against that or something?!

• Minion

Wow - that does seem really desperate and pathetic. Do they still run commercials like this?
    I'm not sure. If I ever see that commercial again, I'll simply change the channel.

• One big touch screen.....

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    I'm thinking Universal hasn't updated that comparison page in a very long time since it doesn't include Everest and the revamped Pleasure Island.
    I bet they're just dying to get it updated..........in a year or six.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by EPCOT View Post
    I bet they're just dying to get it updated..........in a year or six.

Yet I bet they wouldn't hesitate to update their section whenever they add something new, while pretending to be too lazy too update the Walt Disney World list.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast