Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• Attn. Space Travelers....

Talking The real reason the wand is history!

In case it hasnt been said here yet, there is a reason that the wand is being removed.....that reason is SIEMENS!

As you may know, many Disney landmarks (i.e. the Castle, Everest, ToT) are barely under 200 feet to avoid having to put an obtrusive blinking red light on top per FAA regulations, but when wand originally went up, the FAA approached WDW officials and had a blinking light put on top as they wanted on blinking light somewhere on property. It was decided that it would be best to put it on the already sparkly wand.

Basically, the reason the wand stayed for so long is that it was the only FAA demanded blinking light on property.

Anyways, eventually Siemens took over sponsorship of SSE and they hated the wand. However, per the FAA, WDW still needed some kind of high structure to house a blinking light to warn aircrafts. Siemens, being a German company and not shy to spend money, decided to whip out the old checkbook and bulid WDW a tower somewhere out of general view to put a light on.....and this is why the wand is finally coming down.

After only a few years of discussion with Disney execs, Siemens made a proposal and it worked out in our favor!! Hooray!!
    Blast Off Into Adventure!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheRockr View Post
    Space Junk once taught Peter Pan how to do Mick Jagger's famous strut.

• Pathetically Obsessed

Re: The real reason the wand is history!

Very cool. However it happened, it's just nice to see the blight come down!
    "Fire at will, boys!"

"Which one's Will?

• Banned User

I thought the light was on the wand because it was either 200 feet or just over. thats why TOT is 199. WDW doesn't need traffic control because it's not a landing strip or airfield but I am so glad the wand is down and the stars are coming off. I figured siemens put up the funds for it otherwise it would still be there.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Who told you that? That is 100% false!
    -Bill

• Pirate - G'har!

I trist any info from a led zeppelin fan... Very interesting indeed

• "There's always my way"

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Who told you that? That is 100% false!
    Space Junk has been right in many occasions. If this is not the reason, then what is?

Any image of that tower with the blinking light?

"Since the dawn of recorded time, communication has revolutionized our lives and changed our world. We now have the ability and the responsability to build new bridges of acceptance and cooperation between us. To create a better world for ourselves and our children as we continue our amazing journey aboard Spaceship Earth." - Jeremy Irons (Spaceship Earth)

• World Traveler

Yeah, where is the "new" tower?

• Why can't you tune a fish

It may be true, but it makes little sense to me.

The reason the FAA makes you put up lights is because the structure is high enough that a plane may hit it.

Putting just one up "on property" does nothing to call awareness to any other tall structures in the area. Take a look at any raido antenna set. All three antenna masts have lights on them, not just one. And they are about 200 feet apart.

Putting up another flight hazard just to stick a light on top of it makes no sense.

1) Its not helping to point out any other tall structures that are on property.
    2) It is creating another hazard.

Look at it this way.

Disney: We would like to put up a tower with a red light on it
    FAA: Why
    Dsieny: The tower and light are there to warn people not to fly into the tower
    FAA: Does the tower serve any other purpose
    Dinsney: Nope, its just there to warn people not to fly into it.
    FAA: Sounds like a good idea to us.

-dave
    Last edited by Phonedave; 08-08-2007 at 07:21 PM.
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by EPCOT1982 View Post
    Space Junk has been right in many occasions. If this is not the reason, then what is?

Any image of that tower with the blinking light?
    Siemens just wanted the thing down, so did Epcot Management, and Siemens wrote the check to dismantle the thing. The FAA has nothing to do with it at all.
    -Bill

• Little Miss Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Siemens just wanted the thing down, so did Epcot Management, and Siemens wrote the check to dismantle the thing. The FAA has nothing to do with it at all.
    That is what I thought, I hadn't heard anything about blinking lights.

From what I was told (not long after the wand went up), it was on a "10 year plan" to finance it over a longer period of time. I wasn't happy to hear it was on a long-term plan, and even less happy when it turned out to be true!

But at least it's coming down two years earlier than that, I guess.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

• KING OF CABMF'S

Quote Originally Posted by Space Junk View Post
    In case it hasnt been said here yet, there is a reason that the wand is being removed.....that reason is SIEMENS!

As you may know, many Disney landmarks (i.e. the Castle, Everest, ToT) are barely under 200 feet to avoid having to put an obtrusive blinking red light on top per FAA regulations, but when wand originally went up, the FAA approached WDW officials and had a blinking light put on top as they wanted on blinking light somewhere on property. It was decided that it would be best to put it on the already sparkly wand.

Basically, the reason the wand stayed for so long is that it was the only FAA demanded blinking light on property.

Anyways, eventually Siemens took over sponsorship of SSE and they hated the wand. However, per the FAA, WDW still needed some kind of high structure to house a blinking light to warn aircrafts. Siemens, being a German company and not shy to spend money, decided to whip out the old checkbook and bulid WDW a tower somewhere out of general view to put a light on.....and this is why the wand is finally coming down.

After only a few years of discussion with Disney execs, Siemens made a proposal and it worked out in our favor!! Hooray!!
    Do you have a source for this story?
    If so this is pretty interesting in the fact that it seems a bit fishy to me.
    ADD ME.[:

WHAT I'VE LEARNED FROM MICECHAT...
    1. IF YOU APPRECIATE SOMETHING THAT ISN'T THE MAJORITY OPINION, YOU'RE NOT WANTED HERE.
    2. IF THERE'S CHIPPED PAINT IN THE QUEUE FOR A LINE, EXPECT SOMEONE TO WRITE OUT A BIG STORY BASHING IT. WOOHOO.
    3. IF YOU'RE UNDER THE AGE OF 24, YOU'RE AN 'EISNER BRAT.'
    4. PEOPLE WHO ARE DEEMED AS 'MODERATORS' AND OTHER ADMINISTRATION ARE MORE IMPORTANT DIETIES THAN JESUS CHRIST.
    5. YOU CAN EXCPECT TO BE BADLY REPPED IF YOU TRY AND MAKE A SERIOUS POINT.
    6. YOU ARENT TAKEN SERIOUS IF YOU'RE UNDER THE AGE OF 16.
    7. AS AN ADD-ON TO #6, YOU SHOULD BE TREATED AS A SUBORDINATEIF YOU ARE IN A THEME PARK WAITING 30 MINUTES IN LINE FOR A DRINK WHILE SOMEONE HAS TO RECOUNT PIZZAS.
    8. "Disney may not care to hear your comments, but we do." WTFFF??? THIS ISN'T A DISNEY FAN FORUM, IT'S A DISNETY BASHING SITE.
    9. CERTAIN PEOPLE OVER ANALYZE A SIMPLE THREAD AND CONSIDER IT TO BE A CONTRACT FULL OF LOOPHOLES THAT HE/SHE CAN GET AROUND.
    AND FINALLY...
    10. PROLONGED USE OF THIS SITE CAN CAUSE AN EXTREME HATE OF DISNEY AND ALL DISNEY RELATED THINGS.

M-U-H Muhfukka.
    [:

• Senior Minion

Isn't the real reason 'why the wand is history' is because everyone hated it?
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

• Pirate - G'har!

Hehe, too true

• Progressive Disneylander

Wow, Siemens must have really hated that wand if they were willing to spend the extra dough to build the tower with the light.

While I'm not thrilled with the idea that attractions are corporately sponsored, I'm definitely glad to see SE going back to normal due to Siemens ponying up to make it happen.

• May the F=ma be with you

I don't buy it. Why the heck would the FAA demand Disney to build another tower in it's place?!?!

Mostly false (no offense).

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast