Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Marketing YoaMD to Death ...

Just some more info (take it or leave it), but this 'extension' has been in the planning stage for months. An 'insider' even suggested it may have been the plan all the time ... and despite the spin placed in the O-Sentinel yesterday, PR hack Rick Sylvain's quotes are vomit-inducing, it has in NO way been a success at all in Anaheim and it hasn't been a driver behind the recent 4% increase in attendance in the last quarter at WDW.

The bottom line is Jay Rasulo and Michael Mendenhall have nothing. Zero. Zip. Nada. Nothing.

2008 was quickly approaching and there was no major marketing celebration on the horizon, since they chose to ignore EPCOT's 25th ... which any smart markting honcho would have folded into the larger Year of a Million Dreams, and they couldn't come up with anything ...

There was some talk of doing DAK's 10th Anniversary as the tentpole of marketing for next year for WDW, but it didn't have enough pull ... and the nighttime additions (including Rivers of Light and needed infrastructure) have been delayed and won't debut next year from what I've been told ... likely due to financial reasons more than anything.

So instead of just marketing the parks and resorts on their own merits, well ... the marketing folks don't ever believe in doing that ... so they quickly decided that due to 'overwhelming demand' and 'huge popularity' by guests to extend the celebration almost before it even began.

Oh so typical.

• Banned User

Re: Marketing YoaMD to Death ...

i read somewhere that attendance at DLR has been flat if not fallen off from the high's of the 50th so I guess the YOAD didn't work there as you have stated.

• Pathetically Obsessed

Ugh! Extending YOAMD... ugh!
    "Fire at will, boys!"

"Which one's Will?

• One big touch screen.....

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974 View Post
    ... and the nighttime additions (including Rivers of Light and needed infrastructure) have been delayed and won't debut next year from what I've been told ... likely due to financial reasons more than anything.

Ugh.

Just Ugh.

And it was going so well with the HM/ SSE refurbs.........

There was some talk of doing DAK's 10th Anniversary as the tentpole of marketing for next year for WDW
    .......and why do the "if only's" have to be SO infuriatingly appealing?
    Last edited by EPCOT; 08-08-2007 at 01:09 PM.

• Banned User

No AP Deccentennial?

That bites, blows, stinks and sucks at the same time.

• Jerm is Food...Not Friend

About 5 min from where the Magic really started

Quote Originally Posted by Cmash95 View Post
    i read somewhere that attendance at DLR has been flat if not fallen off from the high's of the 50th so I guess the YOAD didn't work there as you have stated.
    Oh don't I wish. The numbers have been high...even with no one knowing what the heck Year of a Million Dreams is.
    Kungaloosh!

*END OF LINE*

Quote Originally Posted by Cmash95 View Post
    Likely in Disney's third quarter report that was released recently.

DL attendance was flat from the same period a year ago, but those numbers are still great as 2006 we were still celebrating DL's 50th.

But YoaMD hasn't registered with anyone out there ... hence the desperation move of turning the Disney Gallery back into an apartment and letting guests win a night there.

Problem is, a semi-view of NOS and the RoA aren't the same as spending the night in Cindy's Royal Bedchambers.

Jay and Michael are so clueless, it really is sad to think how much power they wield when it comes to how magical your visit to a Disney park really is.

• Still wants to be a cat!

If only the visitors who visited actually knew what it was....might help!
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by mouseinphilly View Post
    That bites, blows, stinks and sucks at the same time.
    Oh well... That's WDW to you.

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974
    PR hack Rick Sylvain's quotes are vomit-inducing, it has in NO way been a success at all in Anaheim and it hasn't been a driver behind the recent 4% increase in attendance in the last quarter at WDW.
    True.. the only reason why WDW is seeing a 4% attendance rise is because Southwest's cheap airfares into Orlando and the strong Euro and Pound currency in Europe!! I call this the "Virgin Express" effect.

But consolation price to me: at least DLR ditched the godawful "When Screams Come True" decoration still displayed at WDW... talk about YUK!

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    True.. the only reason why WDW is seeing a 4% attendance rise is because Southwest's cheap airfares into Orlando and the strong Euro and Pound currency in Europe!! I call this the "Virgin Express" effect.
    Actually, talk to any insider and they'll tell you why WDW was up 4% for the quarter.

1.) Easter was later making for a longer Spring Break/holiday period this year;

2.) Everest, Nemo and Soarin (in other words, all quality recent additions) are still driving attendance trends higher;

3.) the convention business is still huge due to our 'great' economy;

That's it ... the YoaMD is something most guests realize exists when they arrive and are watching resort TV ... or someone jumps out and hands them a lanyard or FastPass.

• Banned User

All true facts Spirit. Still... no cheap fares to Orlando? NO huge crowds at WDW. It's all relative.

• Little Miss Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974 View Post
    That's it ... the YoaMD is something most guests realize exists when they arrive and are watching resort TV ... or someone jumps out and hands them a lanyard or FastPass.

I don't know that the average guest is really aware of it at all. I don't notice anything major when I go to the parks. The real prizes are so few, and I have heard of a lot of prizes going unwanted and guests being chased down to take something (like an evening after hours at Epcot).

My dream is to have a year of no more silly promotions! Just give good service, staff the housekeeping, and keep everything clean and in good shape. Decent food, reasonable prices, that is what will keep guests coming back.

And Harry Potter. Oops - wrong park!
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

• Geoff London

Quote Originally Posted by nbodyhome View Post
    I don't know that the average guest is really aware of it at all. I don't notice anything major when I go to the parks. The real prizes are so few, and I have heard of a lot of prizes going unwanted and guests being chased down to take something (like an evening after hours at Epcot).

My dream is to have a year of no more silly promotions! Just give good service, staff the housekeeping, and keep everything clean and in good shape. Decent food, reasonable prices, that is what will keep guests coming back.

And Harry Potter. Oops - wrong park!
    Totally with you on this. I have had great difficulty in equating how a pair of ears or a fastpass constitutes a dream. Letting you ride in the parade or getting a visit to Walt's apartment above the DL firehouse would be more in line with a "dream". As for a night at the castle - what happens if you can't sleep? Can you wander the parapets or stroll the empty park - I doubt it very much. A bit "bird in a gilded cage" don't you think. A true dream would be a week on the Cruise Ship or an annual pass in my book. Better still - run the parks as Walt intended and stop dangling carrots.
    Now I'll turn that little mouse's dream into a nightmare Fantasmic !

• Little Miss Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by geoffa View Post
    A true dream would be a week on the Cruise Ship or an annual pass in my book. Better still - run the parks as Walt intended and stop dangling carrots.
    Maybe a trip to Disney Tokyo! Or Paris, or a nice dinner at V&A. Those are all really great dreams for many.

I'd even take a box of popcorn, better than something that sits on the shelf!
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

All true facts Spirit. Still... no cheap fares to Orlando? NO huge crowds at WDW. It's all relative.
    That's certainly true domestically ... with all those el cheapo specials on SW and Air Tran and the like.

But also realize the internationals have finally started returning in droves ... in numbers not seen since the summer of 2000. They're another huge reason why attendance was up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast