Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 29101112

• Banned User

Re: Disney-MGM Studios name change official! (Merged)

The hat was built for 2 reasons: 1) To sell pins in a central place that is visible to a large number of people and 2)To give MGM Studios a more marketable icon (I guess the Tower and Chinese Theater just weren't cutting it)

Re: Disney-MGM Studios name change official!

Quote Originally Posted by kcnole View Post
    Hollywoodland would have been an awful name.
    I too came up with the idea to rename the park Hollywoodland. I posted the idea on JimHillMedia before I realized that it had already been suggested here.

To those of you who have shot down the name Hollywoodland, do you understand the significance of this name?

For those of you who do not know, the Hollywood sign originally said HOLLYWOODLAND from the 20s through the 40s. It was built to advertise a housing development in the Hollywood Hills. The name is steeped in Hollywood history. It evokes the bygone era of Hollywood that the park has always tried to emulate. It also fits the Disney tradition of slapping LAND on words like FrontierLAND, TomorrowLAND, AdventureLAND, DisneyLAND. These words would probably sound a little awkward to us also if we hadn't grown up hearing them.

The name Hollywoodland evokes a sense of fantasy more than just "Hollywood." The city of Hollywood is rather seedy and dirty, certainly not the pristine recreation you see at MGM. Hollywoodland is a state-of-mind.

I've thought for years that the city should restore the original sign, if only for a limited time.

Original Sign

Disney's version (DCA I think)

• Why can't you tune a fish

Re: Disney-MGM Studios name change official!

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    I too came up with the idea to rename the park Hollywoodland. I posted the idea on JimHillMedia before I realized that it had already been suggested here.

To those of you who have shot down the name Hollywoodland, do you understand the significance of this name?

For those of you who do not know, the Hollywood sign originally said HOLLYWOODLAND from the 20s through the 40s. It was built to advertise a housing development in the Hollywood Hills. The name is steeped in Hollywood history. It evokes the bygone era of Hollywood that the park has always tried to emulate. It also fits the Disney tradition of slapping LAND on words like FrontierLAND, TomorrowLAND, AdventureLAND, DisneyLAND. These words would probably sound a little awkward to us also if we hadn't grown up hearing them.

The name Hollywoodland evokes a sense of fantasy more than just "Hollywood." The city of Hollywood is rather seedy and dirty, certainly not the pristine recreation you see at MGM. Hollywoodland is a state-of-mind.

I've thought for years that the city should restore the original sign, if only for a limited time.
    I understand the reasoning behind it, but, still in my head it evokes images of a farce. The land ending on the title just does not cut it for me. Yes, there are other "lands" in the WDC empire, but there is no place called "adventure" or "fantasy" or "tomorrow" - there is a place called Hollywood. And when I hear it with land stuck on the end of it, it just sounds "off".

Maybe I am in the minority. Maybe I am the odd man out. Not saying the name is good or bad for others, but for me, its not evoking the images of Hollywoodland, the old Hollywood, but instead some slapped together name

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Just to add more fuel to the fire, there was a proposed land expansion to DL to add a Hollywoodland to the park. This was before talks of DCA, but was going to be a mini MGM more or less.

Not saying one name is better than another, just thought I would add that in there too.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Even more... signs are being replaced in the park already... but not signs that say Disney-MGM Studios. The Muppet Vision 3-D ---> sign has been replaced with ABC posters. And the animated sketches that were in the animation courtyard were replaced with movie ADs for DVDs.

Grrr.
    -Bill

Ugh

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoflamingo View Post
    Just to add more fuel to the fire, there was a proposed land expansion to DL to add a Hollywoodland to the park. This was before talks of DCA, but was going to be a mini MGM more or less.

Not saying one name is better than another, just thought I would add that in there too.

That would have been great, it would have eliminated almost all need to go to DCA.

•   
    • Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Change the name to Disney's Hollywood studios

I just read from another web site going change the name.

Disney-MGM Studios will be renamed Disney's Hollywood Studios, effective January 2008, announced Meg Crofton, president of Walt Disney World Resort.

"The new name reflects how the park has grown from representing the golden age of movies to a celebration of the new entertainment that today's Hollywood has to offer -- in music, television, movies and theater," she said.
    Framed by the park's supporting cast of classic Hollywood architecture are shows and attractions straight from contemporary Hollywood, such as Rock 'n' Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith, "Lights, Motors, Action! Extreme Stunt Show" and many more. Disney's Hollywood Studios is also the place to meet favorite character stars of today including Lightning McQueen and Mater from Disney-Pixar's "Cars," Power Rangers and Little Einsteins.

With exciting coming attractions and experiences, the best and brightest of Hollywood is about to emerge for park guests, Crofton said.

"As Disney continues to grow and invest in our family entertainment business, we constantly explore new ways to deliver high-quality, immersive experiences for our guests," she added. "As a park all about entertainment, Disney's Hollywood Studios will deliver like never before. Now we can say that Hollywood is literally our middle name."
    AKfandisney Have a Magic Disney day șoș 2010
    Alan

Toy Story Mania construction:
    Older photo
    New Photo

Member of
    MiceChat WDW Trip
    Next trip
    2014 Dec, 31

• If We Can Dream It...

Re: Change the name to Disney's Hollywood studios

Ummmm....this happened quite a few months ago.

In fact I posted a thread about it here (and I haven't really posted since then!) : http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...nge-73934.html

- Horizonsfan

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Re: Change the name to Disney's Hollywood studios

The Search feature is your friend.

Cool Re: Disney-MGM Studios name change official! (Merged)

Well since I work at Mgm I have mixed emotions about our new name, For the last 18 years it's been Disney Mgm Studios, So a new name in the begining of the year will be hard to swallow. But I guess over time we will get used to the new name.
    Gary William VanDeCar

Darien IL- a suburb 25 mins west of Chicago

Its kinda like when someone changes the name of a ballpark...all the fans still call it the same name reguardless of what corporate sponsorship is slapped on it....but yea..eventually everyone will start calling it the *gulp* Disney hh..hh..hollywood studios ..sorry hard to get that out lol...or just call it the studios
    Last edited by Stimpy215; 10-20-2007 at 11:22 AM.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 29101112