Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Re: Disney-MGM Studios name change official!

All of those creative minds at Disney and this is what they come up with. This has to be the lamest name I have ever heard. Disney's Hollywood Studios is just awful. It has no ring to it and is awkward. I could understand it if this was the name of a third park to be built in Anaheim but come on. Disney Studios Orlando, Disney Studios Florida or Disney Studios USA makes more sense than this name. A lame name for what is right now the lamest park at WDW.

• Can't get enough!

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoflamingo View Post
    it will always be called MGM by me.

Me too!! MGM is just so much easier to say!

It's kind of fun to do the impossible- Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by Nancywitt View Post
    I like the new name. But when I am there again in October, I may have to pick up some MGM merchandise before it is taken away. Thanks for the heads up horizonsfan.
    There isn't much there to pick up. There hasn't been alot of park specific merchandise for the last year or so.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

"Walt Disney Studios Florida" is just too similar to that travesty of a park in Paris. I think any deviation from that is good. But it's still pretty similar.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Disney-MGM Studios name change official!

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    I think the new name is the best that I've heard running around the rumor mill. Hollywood is a place, but it's a lot more than that. It's the name that represents all the glitz and glamour of entertainment.

I rather it called Disney's Hollywoodland or something like that. To me, a studio should be called a studio when it really is a working studio... such as Universal Studios Hollywood.
    HOLLYWOODLAND would be so more evocative of "the Hollywood that never was" as well as a slight nod to DISNEY-LAND in the way it ends with LAND.

Oh and doesn't the reason that the sorceror's hat blocks the Chinese Theater have something to do with the owners of the real Chinese Theater in Hollywood, California being upset at East Coast tourists taking pictures in front of the Florida version?

I'm sure they won't like that the Grauman's Chinese Theater at Disney's Hollywood Studios sounds like the Grauman's Chinese Theater in Hollywood.

I've seen enough typos in photo captions to know these type of errors are regular occurances in the press.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Oh and doesn't the reason that the sorceror's hat blocks the Chinese Theater have something to do with the owners of the real Chinese Theater in Hollywood, California being upset at East Coast tourists taking pictures in front of the Florida version?
    In another thread I raised this issue. One of our insiders (the ever awsome WDW1974) called BS on this story.

• Banned User

I thought Disney's Hollywood Studios were actually in Burbank!

Awful new name... but we don't called her "inoverherheadMeg" for nothing..
    Clueless...clueless Meg. I would have even accepted Disney-Pixar Studios instead.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I thought Disney's Hollywood Studios were actually in Burbank!

Clueless...clueless Meg. I would have even accepted Disney-Pixar Studios instead.

But but... the Pixar Studios is in Emeryville!

I'm just sayin'. There seems to be a lot of commenting on the name involving an actual location instead of creating something new yet familiar.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

I really like the new name. It looks like they put some thought on it, instead of just changing the MGM for ABC or Pixar. I'm so glad they didn't to that nor naming it WDS, it seems so generic.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Say it with me, friends. DHS. DHS. Yuu're gonna see those three letters a whole lot more now.
    DHS. The first thing that comes to mind when I hear that is the Department of Health Services. But then I work a lot with them every day so oh well...

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by EvilQueen View Post
    so the Disney Hollywood California Studios of Florida didn't get the OK?
    No, Arte Moreno is not in charge of WDW.

• Progressive Disneylander

I'm OK with the new mame. In fact, I think in the long run I'll probably like it better than MGM once I get it out of my system.

Since they opted against putting Pixar in the name, let's hope this means that they went with the broader title because they have some significant non-Pixar additions in the works (i.e. Star Wars expansion).

All of the new stuff they are touting in the announcement, sans Toy Story Mania, are unfortunately of no use to me.

• time to go

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Clueless...clueless Meg.
    Do we know for certain that this decision was made by Meg? What about Fitzgerald's new appointment as Creative Tool? Perhaps this came from his group and approved by Rasulo, leaving Meg out of the loop completely.

That being said... the part that disturbs me the most is the possibility that Lasseter likes the new name and willingly signed off on it.

Disney's Hollywood Studios

To quote Syndrome, "Lame, lame, lame, LAME, LAME!!"

"Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

• Why can't you tune a fish

I am not to thrilled with Disney Hollywood Studios for a variety of reasons, the two main one of which have allready been discussed

1) It is geographically confusing.
    2) Hollywood, at least to me, does not evoke the feeling of great films and entertainment. Hollywood evokes images of shallow people like Paris Hilton, or wackos like Tom Cruise. It brings up images of greed and wealth and detachment to the common man (or woman). Kelsey Grammer (who is in my opinion a stand up guy and decent person) was in an interview and mentioned that the he does not work for the money, but for the challange. When a member of the press made a comment like "must be nice" Kelsey was truly confused. He actualy asked "well why do you guys all work?" He was amazed that some people (most of us) NEED to work in order to pay for things such as food, clothing, shelter. etc. THAT is what I think of when I hear Hollywood.

Now, Hollywoodland - I like the idea behind the name. I like the images it evokes. Those of an "ideal" "fantasy" Hollywood. However, the word just does not click for me. It seems a bit kludgy. Of the top of my head.....

Disney's Movieland
    Disney's World of Movies
    Disney's World of Entertainment
    Disney's Sound, Stage, and Screen

I sort of like that last one. Music, movies, plays, musicals - it covers it all, and we could call it DSSS

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

I like the name too...

It goes well with the new placemaking that will be happening very soon at the studios...

And I mentioned a while ago about various non-PIXAR names being considered. This name NEVER came up in anything. This name change was last minute and done very quickly. The fact that they just bought the domain names yesterday proves it. (Or they prove the fact that they wanted to keep it a good secret) So, sorry about not telling you sooner, but I really didn't know about the new name. But this confirms everything that is happening. The new GMR scenes, the hat's major change, the Pixar Place land, Carsland, re-theming of the LMA Stunt Show to Cars, Closure of the Backlot Tour, Re-tooling of the Indy Show, New Star Tours, etc.

Fantastic. This is not the, "Year of a Million Dreams," it's the, "Year of Disney's Hollywood Studios."
    -Bill

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast