Kennedy Space Center from WDW?

We'll be in WDW for 7 nights the last week in August. We'd like to take one day to go over to Kennedy. What's the easiest way to get to Kennedy Space Center from WDW? Is renting a car my best option? Or is there any kind of bus service to Kennedy that leaves from WDW Travel Center?

Also, we'd like to spend some time at the beach somewhere around Kennedy. Anyone have any advice as to which beach to go to? Preferably clean and not too crowded.

Thanks
    --Dan

• Snake Charmer

Florida, burning one minute...rainy the next.

Re: Kennedy Space Center from WDW?

Hi Dan!

I grew up about right in the area you're interested in visiting so hopefully I can give you some help I'll need to check on the exact directions, but it's pretty easy to get over there. Unforunately, the buses aren't so great...you probably will be best off renting a car as you can then wander around when you reach Brevard County.

The easiest way I've found is to take I-4 to the Beachline (old Beeline) east into Titsuville/Kennedy Space Center (I believe the signs still mark it that way) or to Cocoa Beach. Both are pretty close together. I recommend Cocoa as it has great surfing and a lot of options for food, shopping, etc. Season is just now ending, so it shouldn't be too crowded. You can either go to one of the main Parks - such as Lori Wilson Park, Shepard Park, or Fischer Park. These locations have lifeguards on staff, bathroom facilities and are quite nice. Or, if you want privacy, drive a bit south on A1A and you'll come across numbered streets. We used to surf at 19th 18th and 21st - the parking is metered and there are no lifeguards but it is beautiful and very private.

In Cape Canaveral, if you don't decide to go to Cocoa Beach, there are two Parks to visit on the beach too. These locations are also nice to visit.

Check out
    http://www.cocoabeach.com/beachinfo.html
    for more info and enjoy your trip!

Thanks a lot, Misha! That's incredibly helpful. Cocoa Beach should be perfect.

I agree, renting a car will be the best way to go. We'll probably go to Kennedy in the morning (after breakfast at Chef Mickey's ) and head down to Cocoa in the afternoon and have dinner there.

Thanks
    --Dan

• Why can't you tune a fish

Quote Originally Posted by danfluidmind View Post
    Thanks a lot, Misha! That's incredibly helpful. Cocoa Beach should be perfect.

I agree, renting a car will be the best way to go. We'll probably go to Kennedy in the morning (after breakfast at Chef Mickey's ) and head down to Cocoa in the afternoon and have dinner there.

Thanks
    --Dan
    You may be one of these "I rent a car for my entire trip" people, or you may use Disney transportation instead.

If you dont want to rent a car for your entire trip, you can return National rentals at the Dolphin. You can rent at the airport, drive to WDW, and then the second or third day of your trip go to Kennedy, then come back and drop it off at the Dolphin and take the DME when you leave.

Just be sure to tell the people at National what you are doing when you book the reservation. There is no additional charge for it, but they need to know beforehand. You cannot rent at the Dolphin, just drop off. Just pull up to the front where the valet is, and they will take care of it. Then its a short walk to Epcot.

Oh, and make sure you book a return DME

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

• She was sweet as a peach

The Beachline (I still call it Bee Line) is also called 528.

•   

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    You cannot rent at the Dolphin, just drop off.

Is that something new, I thought you were able to pick up at the Dolphin too, or is it somewhere else on property?

But as others have mentioned a car really is your best option to get to Kennedy and the beaches. I find Central Florida to be very easy to get around.

•   

Quote Originally Posted by jane2073 View Post
    The Beachline (I still call it Bee Line) is also called 528.
    I thought to Beeline was short for the Beachline, didn't know they actually changed the name.

• Banned User

The name was changed a couple of years ago and the locals hate it. I still call it the Beeline. Much easier to pronounce phonetically.

Just one thing to remember, you have to take I-4 going East to the Beeline... or else, you will end up in Tampa instead.

• Snake Charmer

Florida, burning one minute...rainy the next.

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    The name was changed a couple of years ago and the locals hate it. I still call it the Beeline. Much easier to pronounce phonetically.

Just one thing to remember, you have to take I-4 going East to the Beeline... or else, you will end up in Tampa instead.
    yes...we really DO hate it. doesn't have as nice of a ring as "beeline...."

• Geoff London

Exactly what poster #2 said. It's roughly a pleasant hour's drive (look out for the town sign of Christmas along the way) from the Orlando area.
    You may find this interesting (if you can time your visit with a launch it makes it even more spectacular!):

http://www.nasa.gov/missions/highlights/schedule.html
    Now I'll turn that little mouse's dream into a nightmare Fantasmic !

• She was sweet as a peach

You don't pass Christmas on the Beeline.
    Christmas is on SR 50.
    Last edited by jane2073; 08-12-2007 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Fixing it.

• Banned User

Correct.

Quote Originally Posted by geoffa View Post
    You may find this interesting (if you can time your visit with a launch it makes it even more spectacular!):
    For the past several months there has been a rocket launch scheduled on the Friday of the week we're gonna be there. Unfortunately last week they rescheduled it to September. Now there are no more launches scheduled for the rest of August. Oh well. Would have been nice.

--Dan

• Why can't you tune a fish

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Magic View Post
    Is that something new, I thought you were able to pick up at the Dolphin too, or is it somewhere else on property?

But as others have mentioned a car really is your best option to get to Kennedy and the beaches. I find Central Florida to be very easy to get around.

As far as I know it is drop off. You may be able to schedule a pick up if you arrange it ahead of time. Its not like a "normal" rental center, where you walk in and there are cars lined up.

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony