• Can't get enough!

When in Dec. does it get BUSY!!

We are going back to WDW in December and are considering the week before Christmas. Is this time very crowded? We went last year Dec. 6th-14th and it was busier than expected. However, the two year before that we braved the week after Christmas crowds so in comparison it wasn't as crowded...so the week before Christmas, how is it crowd wise??

It's kind of fun to do the impossible- Walt Disney

Re: When in Dec. does it get BUSY!!

Just as you have had different experiences visiting in Dec., my experiences have varied. My first Dec. trip included Xmas day (12/21-12/27) 2001, but that was skewed because of 9/11 (the parks were empty, except for Xmas day, which was not excruciatingly busy, but peak crowd busy).

The last time was Dec. 2004 (12/16-12/23). It picked up a little bit the last day or two, but was pretty slow (don't recall any brutal queues) overall.

Thing is, 2004 was ancient history in today's terms, so I don't know how much help this is for you.

What days are you visiting this year? I'd say your chances of hitting slow crowds get better the earlier in the month you visit (although if you'll be there during Xmas parade taping, I'd avoid MK those days. From what I hear, the other parks are fine during those two days - usually the first weekend in Dec., I think).

Have a great time - wish I was visiting during the holidays myself
    "When entering the theater, please move as far to the end of the row as possible. Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic." -Sam Eagle

"I may have invented these bifocals I'm wearing, but I can assure you they're not rose-colored" -Ben Franklin, The American Adventure

• Disney Dreams

Well, when I visited once from Dec. 23rd - Jan.1st, it was extremely busy. The parks would close to capacity DAILY, and they were sending people away at the gate. Even the TTA, which normally never has a line, had a line that wrapped around the Tomorrowland Plaza Station.

That should answer the question, at least for those dates.
    Hope this helps somewhat!

• Purple Crates ♥

I was there last Christmas on the 27th. It was BUSY!! I've heard the best time is from like beginning of Dec to maybe like the 20th or something.

• I was deleted.

December can get busy so I will tell you this, the closer you get to Christmas, the busier it is. Then the 26-3 it will be busy as well, just as WDWGirl mentioned close to, if not reaching park capacity.

Looking at the calendar for 2007 Christmas is on a Tuesday. Which means I would expect a slight increase in crowds starting Friday Dec 21. If I were planning a trip in December I would go for anytime between Dec 3-18, give or take.

Good luck and happy planning! I hope you have a great trip!

• Banned User

Best time to visit WDW at that time is the 1st or 2nd week in December. Crowds will be moderate and there will be a change of showers on and off... but it will be cool and not humid.

• Disney worshipper/geek

It's a really good question. I'm gonna be there the 14-23 (more like 22nd, leaving the 23rd, but you never know). Is the week before Christmas that bad?
    My mind won't rest
    and I don't sleep
    Not even in my dreams...
    -"If You Ever Did Believe"
    written by Stevie Nicks

Chasen Matthew Pacheco
    1985-2005

• formerly PretzelSouls!

You can't really predict how busy it is going to be, but usually the week before Christmas and the week after is busy.
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

• Can't get enough!

so.....basically what i am hearing is that it pretty busy the week before Christmas too! i am just wondering if it's worth pulling the kids out of school and them missing the class parties and programs....

• Banned User

No. It's not worth it to pull the kids out of school. (personally I would never do that regardless... my kids' education comes first over fun and WDW) Historically... from dec 21st until january 5th are very busy days at WDW and all other parks in the area, and the crowds peak tremedously around the 27th-31st.

• Disney worshipper/geek

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    No. It's not worth it to pull the kids out of school. (personally I would never do that regardless... my kids' education comes first over fun and WDW) Historically... from dec 21st until january 5th are very busy days at WDW and all other parks in the area, and the crowds peak tremedously around the 27th-31st.
    Hmm, I agree. That's why I'm glad my school often had half days off. But, yes, I wouldn't do that anyway.
    My mind won't rest
    and I don't sleep
    Not even in my dreams...
    -"If You Ever Did Believe"
    written by Stevie Nicks

Chasen Matthew Pacheco
    1985-2005

Last year I was there for about a week. I checked out on 12/23.

The crowds weren't that bad at all. Not totally empty like it used to be in the good, old days. But nothing beyond moderate crowds the whole week ... although on the 23rd you could tell the hordes were starting to descend on the place.

• Disney Dreams

I would say that you're OK up until, as cyre said, about the 20th. Arriving on the 23rd as I did, we had massive crowds then. The weather is pretty nice, but it will be cold, so dress accordingly. I remember there always just being a huge mass of people, no matter which park we'd visit, but thankfully we were never turned away at the gate like many guests were. I remember that Animal Kingdom would seem to fill up to capacity more quickly than the other parks, and Epcot would normally be the last, with MGM and Magic Kingdom somewhere in between. I would agree that you shouldn't pull your kids out of school, since that would normally be the time of midterms as well - NEVER miss those - it's impossible to catch up if you do. Just wait until your kids get out of school ( that's what we did with me ) - my mom planned our trip around my school dates, and made sure we were back before school continued. I couldn't imagine getting back after having pulled out early, and have to take midterms!

I hope you have a wonderful trip! We braved the crowds, and it was worth it - Christmas time is just about the most magical time at Disney, and the decorations are beautiful - make the most of it, and have fun!

• Can't get enough!

well, my oldest is just in kindergarten so she wouldn't be missing midterms! !!