Training for a marathon while at WDW

I am training for my first marathon (Portland), which will be held in October 0f 2008. We will be in WDW for a week this December. I am wondering if taking a week off of running (in addition to eating way more food than normal on the dining plan) is something I should worry about. The thought of getting up an hour earlier each morning after having spent a full day exploring WDW doesnít sound all that appealing, and also I donít want my running to interfere with my familyís vacation. Does anyone have any personal experience of taking a whole week off of marathon training while at WDW? Any tips?

• Little Miss Sunshine

Re: Training for a marathon while at WDW

Quote Originally Posted by ld2 View Post
    I am training for my first marathon (Portland), which will be held in October 0f 2008. We will be in WDW for a week this December. I am wondering if taking a week off of running (in addition to eating way more food than normal on the dining plan) is something I should worry about. The thought of getting up an hour earlier each morning after having spent a full day exploring WDW doesn’t sound all that appealing, and also I don’t want my running to interfere with my family’s vacation. Does anyone have any personal experience of taking a whole week off of marathon training while at WDW? Any tips?
    I know that there are a lot of people who keep with marathon training at Disney. There are so many wonderful places to get a run (like Fort Wilderness), and you can sort of explore areas you've never possibly been.

Personally, and this is just from the standpoint that I have lost 80 pounds and exercise just about every day (and now I try to add workouts to vacation, in fun ways) - I wouldn't give it completely up. I do eat more at Disney, but I try to get in extra exercise as well (and I try to keep a lot of my meals on the healthier side, though I do like dessert as well). Taking one week completely off might make it take longer to get started up once at home. Even if you can get just a half hour extra per day (or several days during your stay), it will keep your momentum going.

Just my thoughts - I am sure there will be others completely opposite! And that is great about the marathon! I do run some, but I'm not sure I'd ever be able to run 26 miles.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Remember, too, you are going to be WALKING every where at WDW. I mean, I lost 15 pounds alone while I was last there, just moving about. I tend to train (not for marathons) right up to before I go and make sure I do something (not necessarily 'run) while there. I'll stretch in the mornings and before bed.

Also, listen to the body. I say, you may take the week off. You aren't going to be relaxing anyhows---you'll still be moving. However, if you begin to find that you are enjoying yourself too much, go for that morning run and stick with it!

Understand, even in cooler months, Orlando is a humid and hot place. Run early morning or after sunset--otherwise, you are risking more than a sunburn!

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• Little Miss Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by Roo719 View Post

Understand, even in cooler months, Orlando is a humid and hot place. Run early morning or after sunset--otherwise, you are risking more than a sunburn!

Peace,
    Roo
    December is actually (usually) very pleasant. Definitely not humid, and definitely not that hot on most days. I often am wearing a sweater during the day.

Also, it depends on how you tour. If you are getting a good walk in, then maybe running isn't too big a deal. But if you are just strolling from attraction to attraction, then a good run isn't a bad idea. It is up to the OP, though.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by ld2 View Post
    I am training for my first marathon (Portland), which will be held in October 0f 2008. We will be in WDW for a week this December. I am wondering if taking a week off of running (in addition to eating way more food than normal on the dining plan) is something I should worry about. The thought of getting up an hour earlier each morning after having spent a full day exploring WDW doesnít sound all that appealing, and also I donít want my running to interfere with my familyís vacation. Does anyone have any personal experience of taking a whole week off of marathon training while at WDW? Any tips?
    I've never done an entire marathon. I just did my first half-marathon a few months ago, at age 40. I was nothing more that a 2-miler before that, and even that I didn't begin until age 38. But I followed a sane 12-week training schedule and finished the 13.1 without any problem.

Since your race is 10 months after your WDW trip, I can assure you that one week won't mess you up. You aren't going to lose that much ground, and any tiny bit you do lose, you will have more than ample time to make it up. Go and enjoy!

My wife and I did the half-marathon together. First time for us both. At the race, she bought this great t-shirt. On the front in huge numbers it says only "13.1". On the back, it says "I don't go all the way."

• Master Gracey's Bane

A great place to run is the 2 mile loop around the lake at the CBR. Also, I was in training last time I was donw there (not for a marathon, but still was on a strict eating regimen) and was surprised to see that anywhere you go you can get healthy alternatives if you look hard enough. You don't have to have fried food at all if you don't want it.

I'd cut back on the training, but nto completely. Keep up a bit of a regimen before everybody wakes up or at night before bed, but don't let it get in your way of your family fun.

I love playing golf in WDW and running there, but after awhile I feel like I'd rather be with them than away from them.
    Do NOT pull down on the safety bar, please...I will lower it for you...

• Little Miss Sunshine

Fort Wilderness is also a great place to walk/run (including back and forth from the WL).

I've been doing photo walks on my site around the resorts, and parks. There are some great areas to use for running, some aren't really aren't conducive for running.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

I would take the week off. Your race isn't for 10 months and one week won't hurt. I usually walk about 60-70 miles while at WDW on 10 day trips. That amount of walking will be go cross training

Have fun and enjoy. If you do want to run, I like to do the Boardwalk loop with the canal to MGM and back by Swan/Dolphin. I have copies of all the resort jogging trails on my website.
    Robert
    DisneyRunning.com
    DisneyRunning.com Forum
    Going for Goofy #4 in 09