• Disneyland Bear

Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween or Universal Horror Nights?

Ok so my best friend/room mate and I are planning a trip for fall break of next year. And I want to go down to either Disney World or Universal for Halloween because I haven't been to either at that time. Our fall break is only 4 days including the weekend so we're looking at 3 nights and 2 days.

As of right now we are leaning towards Disney because my friend has never been to Disney World before. But I would like to get opinions on both resorts during Halloween. Please keep in mind that we are both College kids who love Disney but love a good scare as well. Thanks for your help everybody!

• Banned User

Re: Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween or Universal Horror Nights?

if you are paritiers than go to halloween horrornights because they sell alcohol and more of a party destination also it's aimed at an older crowd. with haunted houses you go through and zones where characters pop out at you. Disney's halloween is aimed at kids and families and people who don't really like to party. It's a much tamer event with no alcohol. It's more trick or treat type of environment with villians out and a fireworks show as well as parade. they are really two very different events and cost about the same so it just depends on what you like.

• Faith, Trust & Pixie dust

I've never been to the Universal party, my kids are too young. But we have been to Disney's party many times and loved it. It is aimed for kids and family like Cmash said, but the parade and fireworks are to die for. Those are what keeps us coming back.

Have fun no matter what you choose.

• Banned User

Halloween Horror Nights
    This it the first year they're really pushing for new customers and trying to appeal to a broader audience. A lot of my friends have been cast so far and this year cannot be a year to miss. But if you go, go either the first week or the last week, especially Halloween because the crowds will be really really light, plus this is the first year they are having 8 super quality houses. One of the resident spies over at HHNVault (and even IOACentral) has gotten some really juicy details of the houses, and there will even be a Disney refernece. PLUS, you cannot miss this year's Bill & Ted's Excellent Halloween Adventure, read the script last night and it's a show fun for ALL ages

I've always considered them both great events, but I won't do Uni anymore ... it's become way too overcrowded (waits of two hours to get in a haunted house that you're rushed thru) due to selling Frequent Fear Passes to locals ... so even a Monday night can be body-to-body. There's also way too many would-be gangsta/trailer trash that uses those passes.

Too much drinking. Too much smoking. Too much cursing. Too much boorish behavior.

It's a shame. This was always something I loved. This will be only the second time in 10 years I've not gone ... but it's just not fun to be surrounded by a bunch of low-lifes and herded through haunted houses like cattle, so there's very little real fear factor.

I'll go Trick or Treating with the Mouse instead.

• Banned User

I'm already planning to go to MNSSHP next year myself.

• This space for rent

Halloween Horror Nights, and if possible 2 nights for HHN rather than trying to rush/ do it all in one night, especially if next year's HHN will have the same # of offerings entertainment wise as this year's HHN will.

• Disneyland Bear

We were leaning more towards Disney anyway and I do believe that WDW1974 just sealed the deal. But thank you everyone for replying!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974 View Post
    I've always considered them both great events, but I won't do Uni anymore ... it's become way too overcrowded (waits of two hours to get in a haunted house that you're rushed thru) due to selling Frequent Fear Passes to locals ... so even a Monday night can be body-to-body. There's also way too many would-be gangsta/trailer trash that uses those passes.

Too much drinking. Too much smoking. Too much cursing. Too much boorish behavior.

It's a shame. This was always something I loved. This will be only the second time in 10 years I've not gone ... but it's just not fun to be surrounded by a bunch of low-lifes and herded through haunted houses like cattle, so there's very little real fear factor.

I'll go Trick or Treating with the Mouse instead.
    You nail my feelings precisely. HHNs at USF used to be a lot of fun, but NO MORE. I personally do not care for the type of crowd that hangs out at the park on those nights. Last time I went, I had to put up with marijuana smoke in the queues and complained to Guest Relations and security and they did NOTHING. Some of my friends who have been to HHN more recently say Security has been increased the last two years... but still.. Disney offers a safer, more family friendly, totally ungory Halloween.

Universal is simply going for the cheap thrills and needless violence and gruesome images that regrettably have become a part of Halloween since the late 80s.

• Banned User

If you do HHN, definitely get the Express Pass, it's like Fastpass, but it gets you in the front of the line at the houses at least once...or if you do the Behind the Screams tour, you WILL get in the front of the houses every time...definitely worth the money, as that is what I will be doing