Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• back to WDW in January

The Grosvenor Gets An Extreme Makeover

The Grosvenor Resort on Hotel Plaza Boulevard which has undergone a major rennovation is changing it's name to The Regal Sun Resort.

You can access their new official web site here: http://www.regalsunresort.com/

http://www.regalsunresort.com/images...ort_hd_img.jpg
    http://www.regalsunresort.com/images/point.gif
    Last edited by NeverNeverland; 08-28-2007 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Hotlinked pictures Removed. Hotlinking is not allowed.

• Little Miss Sunshine

Re: The Grosvenor Gets An Extreme Makeover

I hope they change management as well - the resort has been a terrible hotel for a long time, IMHO. (I do hope it's really going to be better, though I wouldn't stay there again until it had a LOT of good reviews).
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

• World Traveler

I really this hotel gets it's act together. It's been really bad for a long time and it's location is one of the best at Downtown Disney.

• Minion

Interesting news. Looked into this hotel for our October trip and ruled it out because we wanted a monorail resort. Grosvenor/Regal Sun is not a Disney owned hotel, is it? Any idea who owns and operates it?

• World Traveler

Quote Originally Posted by Pacha View Post
    Interesting news. Looked into this hotel for our October trip and ruled it out because we wanted a monorail resort. Grosvenor/Regal Sun is not a Disney owned hotel, is it? Any idea who owns and operates it?
    The Grosvenor/Regal Sun is NOT owned or operated by Disney, but it is located on Disney property. It opened in 1972 and was called the Americana Dutch Resort. It seems that it's independently owned since it's not part of any chain or franchise.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by nbodyhome View Post
    I hope they change management as well - the resort has been a terrible hotel for a long time, IMHO. (I do hope it's really going to be better, though I wouldn't stay there again until it had a LOT of good reviews).
    Just curious...
    What is so bad about it? What sort of hotel would you compare it to? I've never set foot in the place, so know nothing about it.

• Little Miss Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by Pacha View Post
    Just curious...
    What is so bad about it? What sort of hotel would you compare it to? I've never set foot in the place, so know nothing about it.
    I don't know...a dump? I am not that picky about hotels, but it was just overall not an pleasant place to stay. Check Trip Advisor here:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...o_Florida.html

There were some recent decent reviews, but still some bad ones (keep going back, you can see what the issues were). I stayed there 2 or 3 times on priceline for around $30, which i felt was too much for the property!
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

Does anyone know which one of the DTD resorts was called the Viscount back in the late 80s? There was a talking parrot in the lobby, and we walked to the Marketplace. I was 8 at the time, so I don't remember much else.

I always wonder when driving down Hotel Plaza Blvd which hotel it was....

Anyway, if someone knows, I would appreciate it
    "When entering the theater, please move as far to the end of the row as possible. Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic." -Sam Eagle

"I may have invented these bifocals I'm wearing, but I can assure you they're not rose-colored" -Ben Franklin, The American Adventure

• Minion

I don't know...a dump? I am not that picky about hotels, but it was just overall not an pleasant place to stay. Check Trip Advisor here:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...o_Florida.html

There were some recent decent reviews, but still some bad ones (keep going back, you can see what the issues were). I stayed there 2 or 3 times on priceline for around $30, which i felt was too much for the property!
    OUCH!! Well, if you, an admittedly non-picky person, felt $30 was too much, then it must be bad! Not to mention all the bad reviews on Tripadvisor. Hopefully the renovations will turn it into a decent place.

• Little Miss Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by Sabres2006 View Post
    Does anyone know which one of the DTD resorts was called the Viscount back in the late 80s? There was a talking parrot in the lobby, and we walked to the Marketplace. I was 8 at the time, so I don't remember much else.

It took me about 30 seconds to find it on Google - it is now the Best Western.

My family stayed one night at the Dutch Inn (the first year we ever went), and then left to go to the Polynesian. My parents didn't like the Dutch Inn, thankfully there was room on property! You really had to book much farther ahead back then, they would book the Polynesian a year out (right after our stay).
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

It took me about 30 seconds to find it on Google - it is now the Best Western.

My family stayed one night at the Dutch Inn (the first year we ever went), and then left to go to the Polynesian. My parents didn't like the Dutch Inn, thankfully there was room on property! You really had to book much farther ahead back then, they would book the Polynesian a year out (right after our stay).
    Thanks (don't know why I didn't just Google it...).

Not to say anything negative about Best Western, but the Viscount seemed so "grand" to me as a kid...big staircase, the bird in the lobby, my spaghetti meal on a frisbee (weird what you remember). Anyway, I wouldn't think a Best Western would be as nice.

Okay, OT reminiscing done. Sorry for the interruption, folks
    "When entering the theater, please move as far to the end of the row as possible. Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic." -Sam Eagle

"I may have invented these bifocals I'm wearing, but I can assure you they're not rose-colored" -Ben Franklin, The American Adventure

• World Traveler

Quote Originally Posted by Sabres2006 View Post

The Viscount is now the Best Western Lake Buena Vista Hotel. It's the one across the street from the Royal Plaza and is shaped like a Y.

• Little Miss Sunshine

From the sound of one of the people who has stayed in a new room - it sounds average, not regal.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I've stayed at the Grosvenor 3 times... once in 2000 and twice last year. Never had a problem with them. The rooms were always clean and the front desk was always friendly and helpful, as were the valet guys and bellhops. My single complaint would be the beds were kind of stiff but not totally uncomfortable... I was able to sleep just fine in them.

I'll have to check them out after the makeover is complete if I can get a room at a good rate. My next trip is in October so we'll see.

If you'd like a nice hotel near Downtown Disney though, I highly recommend the Royal Plaza. I stayed there in January and it was wonderful! They recently renovated the whole place as they sustained a lot of damage from Hurricane Charley a couple years ago. The bed was soooooo comfy! And I wanted to take the bathroom home with me.... Roman tub with a separate shower stall and granite countertops! I had a room on the 11th floor and had a great view of Downtown Disney and I-4.

• Little Miss Sunshine

The Hilton is very nice, too, IMHO.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast