Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• former CM

Re: Time magazine screws up re. WDW lines

Quote Originally Posted by Stimpy215 View Post
    I sent an email 2
    Cool! I hope others do too.
    I also wrote back, though I think my letter was too long and ineloquent to publish. Still, I hope an upcoming issue of Time will correct the error. Walt Disney World isn't perfect, but only accurate criticism can be constructive.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Chaney View Post
    The writer's mistake aside: Rich people get better stuff and more privileges. It's been that way since the beginning of time.
    And some societies have probably been sexist since "the beginning of [human] time."
    Abolishing slavery is historically recent and slavery still appears now and then.
    But what if the majority always gave in to the way things have "always been"?
    One reason why so many of us are so interested in Walt Disney and his parks is because they broke with the status quo. We felt better in them.

And now your homework assignment, Tom Chaney: try to find a copy of King's "Letter From Birmingham Jail" in Woodland Hills and report back to us on King's views of moderating his radicalism.

And good luck with the heat. L.A. weather models/characters and Dallas Raines (SP?) often single out your part of the Valley as having the high temperature. Some nice homes though!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    And some societies have probably been sexist since "the beginning of [human] time."
    Abolishing slavery is historically recent and slavery still appears now and then.
    One reason why so many of us are so interested in Walt Disney and his parks is because they broke with the status quo. We felt better in them.

And now your homework assignment, Tom Chaney: try to find a copy of King's "Letter From Birmingham Jail" in Woodland Hills and report back to us on King's views of moderating his radicalism.

And good luck with the heat. L.A. weather models/characters and Dallas Raines (SP?) often single out your part of the Valley as having the high temperature. Some nice homes though!
    Some societies have, perhaps, been sexist since the beginning of time. I was not addressing sexism. I was addressing economic disparity.

I believe the most recent example of abolishment of slavery was Saudi Arabia in the 60's. Free at last. Thank God, Almighty.

Disney broke with the status quo? Can you find me a more conservative and traditional place than Disneyland? I do feel better in Disneyland, though. I'm happy that you do too.

But more to the point at hand:

Yes, even in my isolated enclave of Woodland Hills (and may I please inquire why my neighborhood is of any interest? Could it be because my next door neighbor is Polish, across the street they're East Indians, a couple doors down are French, on the corner our friend is Black, and did I mention the Persians, Armenians, Hispanics and Jews? As long as we're on the subject, could you tell me the ethnic makeup of your neighborhood.), I can find the complete text of Rev. King's "Letter From Birmingham Jail". Such is the marvel of Google. Available equally to those with super computers in their homes and to those who know the address of their local public library. I'm unclear, however, how this missive is relevant to my point. Though it makes fascinating reading and provides much basis for reflection and thought regarding non-violent protest, I fail to see what it has to do with FastPass and the advantages that wealthy people enjoy.

Thank you for directing me to some thought-provoking reading. But, the fact remains:

Rich people get better stuff and more privilege than other people. First class plane tickets, Rolex watches, Bentleys, and the like. They cost money. Only those with money can afford them. This holds true for rich white people, rich black people, rich brown people (you do realize that the richest man in the world is Hispanic, don't you?) and rich people of every other color, religion, race, sexual orientation, creed, etc. you can name.

I am not jealous of P Diddy and his home in the Hamptons. I am not jealous of anyone who, by dint of labor, achieves wealth. I am not jealous that Uncle Walt drove a Packard and had a home in Holmby Hills. I celebrate the fact that these people, by staying focused and working hard, achieved the American Dream in spades. Bully for them! I may not be able to live the life they live, but I'm damn happy that somebody can.

Regarding your statement:
    I agree that it is not good for people to bow down and be mere sheep to tradition. Shake things up. Rally for change when change is appropriate. BUT: don't waste your time or your life trying to make a blue rose or a red sky. It isn't going to happen. Accept reality. I can't afford a Rolex (OK... I think Rolex's are vulgar and ugly anyway. Make that a Vaceron, Piaget or Patek Philippe.) Other people can. That doesn't make me nuts. I'm not going to enjoy a VIP tour of Disneyland anytime soon. That doesn't make me nuts either. Rich people get better stuff and more privileges. It's been that way since the beginning of time.

Please follow your dreams and aspire for the highest. Please click on the link in my signature and listen to the words. Please, let go of jealousy. What somebody else has is of no interest. It has no bearing on your life. Your life is what you make of it. Your happiness is what you make of your life.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• former CM

Yikes, if I had known you were a better writer than me I would never have responded to your message! Great reply.
    I didn't know Woodland Hills had such diversity--I usually think of the mansions in the hills south of the Ventura Blvd. I guess every area of L.A. is rich in diversity.
    And I didn't know that Gates had already been surpassed. I hope the new "wealthiest person" shares some of Gates' altruism.
    There are still convictions for slavery now and then, but I don't think it ever sanctioned by a government.
    I still want all the Disneylands and the Magic Kingdoms to be a place where all kids can feel like VIPs, even (and especially) if their parents sacrificed to pay for admission. Increasing opportunities to make more money from the select few might damage Disney's appeal to the middle class.

• former CM

revised reply

I was called away by my two-year-old and couldn't get back in time to revise my message's many typos. Sorry. Here's the revised version:

Yikes, Tom Chaney, if I had known you were a better writer than I am I would never have responded to your message! Great reply.

I didn't know Woodland Hills had such diversity--I usually think of the mansions in the hills south of Ventura Blvd. I guess every area of L.A. is rich in diversity.

And I didn't know that Gates had already been surpassed. I hope the new "wealthiest person" shares some of Gates' altruism.

There are still convictions for slavery now and then, but I don't think slavery is ever sanctioned by governments in 2007--though women have few rights in some places.

I still want all the Disneylands and the Magic Kingdom to be places where all kids can feel like VIPs, even (and especially) if their parents sacrificed to pay for admission. Increasing opportunities to make more money from the select few might damage Disney's appeal to the middle class.

P.S.:
    If you read reviews of Disney's top American hotels, it seems like they don't provide five-star service as well as the Ritz-Carlton and Four Seasons chains. However I think that in certain Disney parks at certain times (WDW in the 1970s, Disneyland today, Tokyo always) Disney has been highly successful in pleasing their tens of millions of middle-class "guests," and even made them feel like they like they were getting a good value for their money.

And poorer people could splurge, and rich people could have their Polynesian, Contemporary, and Disneyland Hotel suites; and eat at the HIDDEN Club 33, but in the past Disneyland and WDW's Magic Kingdom felt like places that united and uplifted people. In its Eisnerean/Presslerean effort to make the mo$t from everyone--with it's very visible Fantasmic & /VIP Tour parade seating, and with those obnoxious Vacation Club time share booths everywhere, Disneyland is creeping toward making some guests FEEL like they are passing past the first class sections on the disdained NW or American Airlines. That's why Time's incorrectly making this seem even worse than it is set me off in the first place. Waiting in line has always been the bad part of visiting Disney parks. Fastpass felt like an effective way to reward Disney's more experienced guests, and guests were still united in the same lines. These lines seem to be getting longer and having people breeze by because they could pay for a VIP Fastpass would really annoy me and many others sweating in line with impatient toddlers.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 09-03-2007 at 08:15 AM.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    ^ What he said. Time should make him apologize for the mistake.
    I don't think TIME needs to apologize for anything. Misimformation in the press is a daily occurance, whether it be intentional or accidental. Now, malicious intentions...then yes, apology necesary.
    But Bill..I was under the impression that VIP guests would still have to PAY for those services such as skipping to the front of the line, EXCEPT when in the park under contract by Disney for marketing purposes... Has that changed?

• Pirate - G'har!

I don't take TIME with a huge deal of salt. I read an article about Princess Diana stating that she 'unbuttoned Britain' and allsorts of utter rubbish that not only demonstrated a complete misconception of Britain itself (anyone living in Britain would agree with me) but a complete miconception of her effect on it (this is debatable of course but this is my opinion). It was a load of rubbish yet millions will read and believe it. It really got me angry and now this. I'm not gonna lose sleep over either it's just incredibly frustrating

I wrote a letter to the editor as well. If an author can't get basic facts correct, it makes me doubt the rest of what he says.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyCraig View Post
    I wrote a letter to the editor as well. If an author can't get basic facts correct, it makes me doubt the rest of what he says.
    You know this is TIME magazine we're talking about right?
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

This was not a reporter providing misinformation, but an opinion piece and the part of the article the OP is upset about is taken out of context. Whole paragraph.

At amusement parks, too, you can now buy your way out of line. This summer I haplessly watched kids use a $52 Gold Flash Pass to jump the lines at Six Flags New England, and similar systems are in use in most major American theme parks, from Universal Orlando to Walt Disney World, where the haves get to watch the have-mores breeze past on their way to their seats, as if Space Mountain were Spago.
    The writer is giving accurate information about the Gold Flash Pass at Six Flags, but then is using hyperbole for the reference to Space Mountain / Spago. No where in that paragraph, nor in the whole article does it state you can buy your way to the front of the line at WDW.

This is the problem in our society now, the 30 second sound bite or the partial bit of a quote taken out of context and then blown out of proportion, especially by Internet forums. One should quote the full context so readers can judge better for themselves.

Here is the link to the full article.
    http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...657807,00.html

I

• I was deleted.

"At amusement parks, too, you can now buy your way out of line. . .[6 Flags & Universal examples omitted]
    . . .WDW, where haves get to watch the have-mores breeze past on their way to their seats, as if Space Mountain were Spago."
    It's clear the author really didn't get their facts right. Sure you have to buy your admission into the theme park; however, the FastPass is currently a standard option for all guests. So unlike Disney's competition they don't charge extra to use this option or require you to be a resort guest.

There is a thread here on MiceChat that would've helped the author learn a bit more about this. I'll put it in here once MC's search function is running again.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lightyear999 View Post
    This was not a reporter providing misinformation, but an opinion piece and the part of the article the OP is upset about is taken out of context. Whole paragraph.
    . . .[moved below]. . .The writer is giving accurate information about the Gold Flash Pass at Six Flags, but then is using hyperbole for the reference to Space Mountain / Spago. No where in that paragraph, nor in the whole article does it state you can buy your way to the front of the line at WDW. . .
    Wrong. It does state that you can buy your way to the front of the line at WDW.

Reread that paragraph you quoted [emphasis mine]:
    "At amusement parks, too, you can now buy your way out of line. This summer I haplessly watched kids use a $52 Gold Flash Pass to jump the lines at Six Flags New England, and similar systems are in use in most major American theme parks, from Universal Orlando to Walt Disney World, where the haves get to watch the have-mores breeze past on their way to their seats, as if Space Mountain were Spago."

Writers of opinion pieces still have a responsibility to present facts accurately. The aptly named Rushin was erroneous, not hyberbolic, and his sloppiness (or dishonesty) has consequences for an important, job-providing American business.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 09-03-2007 at 11:28 AM.

Wrong. It does state that you can buy your way to the front of the line at WDW.

Reread that paragraph you quoted [emphasis mine]:
    "At amusement parks, too, you can now buy your way out of line. This summer I haplessly watched kids use a $52 Gold Flash Pass to jump the lines at Six Flags New England, and similar systems are in use in most major American theme parks, from Universal Orlando to Walt Disney World, where the haves get to watch the have-mores breeze past on their way to their seats, as if Space Mountain were Spago."

Writers of opinion pieces still have a responsibility to present facts accurately. The aptly named Rushin was erroneous, not hyberbolic, and his sloppiness (or dishonesty) has consequences for an important, job-providing American business.
    Sorry, but your still incorrect, reread it again yourself. He points out a clear example where he saw someone purchase a pass to jump the line. He then says their are "SIMILIAR SYSTEMS in use at most major parks from Universal Orlando to Walt Disney World."

It does not state though this pay system is at WDW. The next line is used by the writer as hyperbole to make his point -"where the haves get to watch the have-mores breeze past on their way to their seats, as if Space Mountain were Spago." Those with Fast Pass breeze by, those without do not. He does not state here though that you can buy your way to the front. You are implying that. There is not one inaccurate piece of information here.
    Just failure by a few to fully read in full context. It is just your desire to make more out of the statement than is there.

So where is the the exact quoted fact that you can pay your way to the front at WDW? It is not there. Again, this is an opinion piece with examples thrown in to illustrate his point. No where in this article, not matter how much you want to imply or twist logic does it say you can pay to get to the front of the line at WDW. And since you cannot do that, where is all this misinformation you have to report to Time magazine's editor's?

Quote Originally Posted by BigPigletFan View Post
    It's clear the author really didn't get their facts right. Sure you have to buy your admission into the theme park; however, the FastPass is currently a standard option for all guests. So unlike Disney's competition they don't charge extra to use this option or require you to be a resort guest.

There is a thread here on MiceChat that would've helped the author learn a bit more about this. I'll put it in here once MC's search function is running again.

Where does he state a fact about WDW or their system? He does not. He states a fact about Six Flags and gives a clear example. He then says their are similiar systems in other theme parks, including WDW. This is very true. It is not a pay system, but just Fast Pass. No where in the article though does he say it is a pay system at WDW. It is not the author at fault here, but to many wanting to imply and read more into his statement than is truly there.

• white and nerdy

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lightyear999 View Post
    Where does he state a fact about WDW or their system? He does not. He states a fact about Six Flags and gives a clear example. He then says their are similiar systems in other theme parks, including WDW. This is very true. It is not a pay system, but just Fast Pass. No where in the article though does he say it is a pay system at WDW. It is not the author at fault here, but to many wanting to imply and read more into his statement than is truly there.
    No, he never says "you can pay your way to the front of the line at WDW." But the meaning of the paragraph is clear.

At amusement parks (HERE IS THE SUBJECT OF THE PARAGRAPH), too, you can now buy your way out of line. (AND THIS IS THE TOPIC OF THE PARAGRAPH. THE TOPIC IS "AT AMUSEMENT PARKS YOU CAN BUY YOUR WAY OUT OF LINE.) This summer I haplessly watched kids use a $52 Gold Flash Pass to jump the lines at Six Flags New England, and similar systems are in use in most major American theme parks, from Universal Orlando to Walt Disney World, (HERE IS THE SCREW UP. DISNEY WORLD DOES NOT HAVE A SOMETHING SIMILAR TO A GOLD FLASH PASS. HE GROUPED A BUNCH OF PARKS TOGETHER WHICH IS THE PROBLEM) where the haves get to watch the have-mores breeze past on their way to their seats, as if Space Mountain were Spago. (THIS LAST STATEMENT, WHICH IS HYPERBOLE, IS STILL INDICATED AS FACT.)

Okay, so my English major nerdiness is coming out, but it's obvious that Walt Disney World is included in the topic of this paragraph.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast