Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 65
  1. #31

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    779

    Re: Time magazine screws up re. WDW lines

    I agree WDW is included. I have no problem with that FACT. The problem is the premise of this thread was that the author errored by stating inaccurate FACTS. Yet, there are not inaccurate facts or inaccurate statements.

    FACT: He stated you could by a pass at Six Flags. He even gave an example. This is very true.

    FACT: He said there are similiar programs at other amusement parks, from Universal Studios to Walt Disney World.

    This is true also. Universal has a program were you can pay to get in the front of the line and Disney has a Fast Pass sytem. Even though you do not pay for FP, if you get to the park late, or if it is a day with Extra Magic Hours and the hotel guests arrive early, (those that can afford to stay at the resort hotels) FP's for some attractions can be gone in hours.

    He never gives facts about the WDW system. He just says parks have similair programs, meaning similiar paid programs or similiar front of the line programs? That is up to the readers interpetation. I chose it to read as their are other front of the line programs at other amusements parks and then it is up to the reader to investigate these further.

    I think anyone who has taken English and passed could understand that meaning. Even if you want to interpet it as the author implied you could buy your way in, no where does the author state that as a fact. So no where is the author providing inaccurate, false or misleading information. Only those that say he has, are inaccurate.

    I will eat my words though when I see someone post the facts he listed about WDW.

  2. #32

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Darien IL- a suburb 25 mins west of Chicago
    Posts
    204

    Re: Time magazine screws up re. WDW lines

    Mr Lightyear are you a lawyer? lol You seem to be nitpicking on the exact wording. The author definately lumps WDW in w/ the other parks as far as having a pay to get to the front of the line system. Did he say 'WDW MAKES GUESTS PAY TO GET TO THE FRONT OF THE LINE"? No...but he most definately did put them in the same category, there isn't much doubt about that. Theres a huge difference between having a system everyone can equally take advantage of reguardless of income level vs a system where you can pay to feel superior to everyone else and walk to the front of the line. ...You HAVE TO ADMIT that If you didnt know anything bout Disney and read his article you would definately think that Disney has a pay to get to the front of the line system 2.

  3. #33

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    779

    Re: Time magazine screws up re. WDW lines

    You HAVE TO ADMIT that If you didnt know anything bout Disney and read his article you would definately think that Disney has a pay to get to the front of the line system 2.
    No, I would not admit this, as that is not how I read it. While you say the system is open to everyone regardless of income level, this is not true and I gave an example. Guests staying at the resorts, (much pricier than off property) get Extra Magic Hours. This allows them to get Fast Passes earlier or get them for later in the day than guests who could not afford to stay on property.

    Mr Lightyear are you a lawyer? lol You seem to be nitpicking on the exact wording. The author definately lumps WDW in w/ the other parks as far as having a pay to get to the front of the line system. Did he say 'WDW MAKES GUESTS PAY TO GET TO THE FRONT OF THE LINE"? No...but he most definately did put them in the same category,t here isn't much doubt about that
    Nitpicky about the wording? That is all we have. I cannot be in the author's mind, so I cannot accurately know what he is implying. All I can do his read what he wrote. Is the implication inaccurate? Only if you took it as Disney has a pay for front of the line entry. Which seems to be how everyone took this paragraph. So yes, then that would be inaccurate, but only from a readers perspective, not from the authors information.

    If you want to chastise the author for his poor use of hyperbole for lumping WDW in there, I would say you have a small case. But to state the author stated facts that were inaccurate as everyone is posting here, is just incorrect.

  4. #34

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Darien IL- a suburb 25 mins west of Chicago
    Posts
    204

    Re: Time magazine screws up re. WDW lines

    lol ...the author whether intentionally or not mislead readers into thinking that Disney has a pay to get to the front of the line system..he should have been more specific if he was trying to say something about extra magic hours which he mentioned nothing of in the article..at the very least it was poorly phrased...so your saying if you knew absolutely NOTHING about Disney and you read this article you wouldn't have lumped Disney in with the other parks as far as having a pay to get to the front of the line system?

  5. #35

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    779

    Re: Time magazine screws up re. WDW lines

    Quote Originally Posted by Stimpy215 View Post
    lol ...the author whether intentionally or not mislead readers into thinking that Disney has a pay to get to the front of the line system..he should have been more specific if he was trying to say something about extra magic hours which he mentioned nothing of in the article..at the very least it was poorly phrased...so your saying if you knew absolutely NOTHING about Disney and you read this article you wouldn't have lumped Disney in with the other parks as far as having a pay to get to the front of the line system?
    I read it as there are similiar systems at other amusement parks. So I would contact the park I wish to attend and say I saw an article in Time magazine about "front of the line passes", how can I obtain these? If I called Universal they would tell me about their front of the line pass or maybe their VIP tours and give me the cost. If I called Knott's or Six Flags they would give me the details of their program. If I called Disney they would say "Mr. Lightyear, we do not have a paid front of the line admission, but we do have on a few attractions a program called Fast Pass that let's you "reserve" your spot in line while enjoying other areas. Here is how the program works...

    The author was not doing a whole story about lines at amusement parks, but about lines in general and how some can pay or use other means to get front of the line preference. Since he could not list every amusement park and every program in detail, he chose to use the words similiar programs.
    That would seem to cover it. It did not say exact, or pay, or give up your first born child or millionaires only, it just said similiar, which FP does fall into that category.

    I am just not one to read more into it than is there, nor take such an ambiguous statement as similiar programs, and extrapolate it to mean every amusement park or theme park is the same.

    Shouldn't we be mad he lumped WDW in with "amusement parks" when it actually is a "theme park"?

  6. #36

    • white and nerdy
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    I wanna bowl with the gangsters...
    Posts
    3,246

    Re: Time magazine screws up re. WDW lines

    At amusement parks, too, you can now buy your way out of line. This summer I haplessly watched kids use a $52 Gold Flash Pass to jump the lines at Six Flags New England, and similar systems are in use in most major American theme parks, from Universal Orlando to Walt Disney World, where the haves get to watch the have-mores breeze past on their way to their seats, as if Space Mountain were Spago.
    LOL Okay, let's go over this again.

    First sentence: At amusement parks, too, you can now buy your way out of line.
    Does this statement include Disney World? Seeing how Disney World is included in the paragraph by name we can conclude it is. This is a mistake as there is no way to buy your way out of line in Disney World.
    On top of that, this is the TOPIC SENTENCE and every other sentence has to answer to that.

    Second sentence: This summer I haplessly watched kids use a $52 Gold Flash Pass to jump the lines at Six Flags New England, and similar systems are in use in most major American theme parks, from Universal Orlando to Walt Disney World, where the haves get to watch the have-mores breeze past on their way to their seats, as if Space Mountain were Spago.
    A somewhat complex one but the meaning is there, though the bad writing and use of the coma splice complexes it. A better way to write this would have been:
    This summer I haplessly watched kids use a $52 Gold Flash Pass to jump the lines at Six Flags New England. Similar systems are in use in most major American Theme parks from Universal Orlando to Walt Disney World where the haves get to watch the have-mores breeze past on the way to the seats as if Space Mountain were Spago.
    These thoughts are saying that Universal Orlando and Walt Disney World are included in theme parks that have a similar system to the Gold Flash Pass. This is stated even clearer when the specific example of "the haves get to watch the have mores breeze past on the way to the seats as if Space Mountain were Spago." It specifically says Walt Disney World and Space Mountain. How is that not specific?

    Okay... So, again, the subject of the paragraph is what? Programs that let you buy your way out of the line. The examples given are what? Six Flags, Universal, and Walt Disney World. Does Disney World have a program that lets you buy your way out of line? No. Hence, it's a lie.

    Does Disney World create a situation where the haves have to watch the have-mores (obviously meaning financial situations) breeze past them to to Space Mountain as specifically mentioned in the paragraph? No. Hence it's another lie.

    Two specific lies.
    I guess you can interpret it however you want, but it would be an incorrect interpretation.
    Last edited by thejoshualee; 09-03-2007 at 03:41 PM.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

    "Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert





  7. #37

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Darien IL- a suburb 25 mins west of Chicago
    Posts
    204

    Re: Time magazine screws up re. WDW lines

    all good points...and I wholeheartedly agree with you..he probably won't give up though lol

  8. #38

    • white and nerdy
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    I wanna bowl with the gangsters...
    Posts
    3,246

    Re: Time magazine screws up re. WDW lines

    On a side note, I just called up Disney World posing as a very rich potential client asking what I could buy that would allow me front of line privileges.
    I was told about the fast pass system that everyone gets and the dream fast pass for the YOAMD.
    I was told about certain VIP tours that would grant me access to special areas of the park.
    I was told about the segway tours.

    I specifically asked if there was anything similar to the Six Flags Gold Flash Pass system, explained the system to the operator, and was told no. I told her money was no object and she said she was sorry but there was nothing like that.

    So... there you go. For whatever it's worth.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

    "Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert





  9. #39

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    779

    Re: Time magazine screws up re. WDW lines

    LOL Okay, let's go over this again.

    First sentence: At amusement parks, too, you can now buy your way out of line. Does this statement include Disney World? Seeing how Disney World is included in the paragraph by name we can conclude it is. This is a mistake as there is no way to buy your way out of line in Disney World.
    On top of that, this is the TOPIC SENTENCE and every other sentence has to answer to that.
    Thank you for the English lesson, but you are still applying faulty logic and poor paragraph structuring to this.

    "First sentence: At amusement parks, too, you can now buy your way out of line.

    Yes you can buy you way in and he gave an example where you can. WDW is mentioned later on and you could imply that could buy your way out of line. But you cannot conclude that, because prior to mentioning WDW it does state other parks have similiar systems. Not exactly the same, not paid programs, but once again similiar systems and while Fast Pass is not a paid program, it is similiar.

    Second sentence: This summer I haplessly watched kids use a $52 Gold Flash Pass to jump the lines at Six Flags New England, and similar systems are in use in most major American theme parks, from Universal Orlando to Walt Disney World, where the haves get to watch the have-mores breeze past on their way to their seats, as if Space Mountain were Spago.

    A somewhat complex one but the meaning is there, though the bad writing and use of the coma splice complexes it. A better way to write this would have been:

    This summer I haplessly watched kids use a $52 Gold Flash Pass to jump the lines at Six Flags New England. Similar systems are in use in most major American Theme parks from Universal Orlando to Walt Disney World where the haves get to watch the have-mores breeze past on the way to the seats as if Space Mountain were Spago.

    These thoughts are saying that Universal Orlando and Walt Disney World are included in theme parks that have a similar system to the Gold Flash Pass. This is stated even clearer when the specific example of "the haves get to watch the have mores breeze past on the way to the seats as if Space Mountain were Spago." It specifically says Walt Disney World and Space Mountain. How is that not specific?
    How you would have written it is not relevant, since the discussion is how it is written.

    Okay... So, again, the subject of the paragraph is what? Programs that let you buy your way out of the line. The examples given are what? Six Flags, Universal, and Walt Disney World. Does Disney World have a program that lets you buy your way out of line? No. Hence, it's a lie.
    The subject is buying your way out of line at amusement parks. The example given was Six Flags. The further remark was their are similiar programs at other amusement parks such as Universal and WDW. For some reason no one seems to like that word similiar. All of you just choose to leave it out.

    Does Disney World create a situation where the haves have to watch the have-mores (obviously meaning financial situations) breeze past them to to Space Mountain as specifically mentioned in the paragraph? No. Hence it's another lie.Two specific lies
    Yes they do. Those that have a Fast Pass get to the front of the line (have-mores). And as I pointed out before those more financially well off and able to stay at resort properties do have more opportunity than Joe Six Pack at Motel 6. The have-nots.

    So truly there is no lie. A lie would mean a mistatement of fact. He never stated any facts about the program at WDW. He just said they had a similiar program to the paid program at other parks. As I posted earlier, it is then up to the consumer who wishes to take part in this service to contact the park for full details.

    He was trying to imply that you could buy your way to the front at WDW, but the original OP was about the FACTS, and not the readers interpetation.
    So while some may see the implied meaning as you can buy your way in line, others may not read it that way and in either case, it does not make any of the true facts he has listed wrong.

    The only facts listed in that paragraph are the kids using a $52.00 Gold Flash Pass and parks having similiar systems. Once again, similiar: Not exact, paid, or any other specific detail, just similiar.

  10. #40

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    779

    Re: Time magazine screws up re. WDW lines

    Quote Originally Posted by thejoshualee View Post
    On a side note, I just called up Disney World posing as a very rich potential client asking what I could buy that would allow me front of line privileges.
    I was told about the fast pass system that everyone gets and the dream fast pass for the YOAMD.
    I was told about certain VIP tours that would grant me access to special areas of the park.
    I was told about the segway tours.

    I specifically asked if there was anything similar to the Six Flags Gold Flash Pass system, explained the system to the operator, and was told no. I told her money was no object and she said she was sorry but there was nothing like that.

    So... there you go. For whatever it's worth.
    If you were a rich potential client, you would not be calling the normal reservations number. Upscale clientele know who to call. They either use a trusted person on their staff or an travel agent with contacts.

    If you think there are not VIP's getting special treatment, then you do not understand our economic system.

    As for the Gold Pass at Six Flags. Not sure I would call this VIP, $52.00 to get to the front of the line is not really that much. Especially if you only have one day at the park and want to insure yourself getting on rides. I did this this with Universal last year, as we only go one every 10 years, did not want to wait and it was worth the cost. I am by no means a VIP or rich.

  11. #41

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Darien IL- a suburb 25 mins west of Chicago
    Posts
    204

    Re: Time magazine screws up re. WDW lines

    lol told ya he wouldn't give up...maybe hes related to the author and feels the need to defend the poorly phrased parts of the article? eh anyways i'm done

  12. #42

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    779

    Re: Time magazine screws up re. WDW lines

    Quote Originally Posted by Stimpy215 View Post
    lol told ya he wouldn't give up...maybe hes related to the author and feels the need to defend the poorly phrased parts of the article? eh anyways i'm done
    Nope, no relation to the author. Just made a statement about the OP since he was upset as were subsequent posters about the incorrect facts listed in one small paragraph of a larger article. The facts are correct. You are left in infer whatever you want.

    If you want to say it was poorly written, then I might agree. Everyone though attacked his profession and questioned his integrity. I just do not see the need for that. I have seen it happen to other writers before and have had it happen to myself.

    But if we did not find writings we could take out of context or extrapolate to an illogical conclusion these Internet forums would never exist. Read any thread, that is usually where they go.

  13. #43

    • former CM
    • Online

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    S. Cal. via Milw. & Madison Wisconsin
    Posts
    3,070
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lightyear999 View Post
    . . . If you want to say it was poorly written, then I might agree. Everyone though attacked his profession and questioned his integrity. I just do not see the need for that. . .
    Well I interpreted that part of his essay as an unfair attack on Disney. And I didn't attack his profession, just HIS professionalism and the appearance of his mother.

    I'm like those "Don't Mess With Texas" people, but with Disney. Of course, when my fellow Disney freaks attack Disney (on Mouseplanet, Miceage, or Micechat) that's different; it's within family. But beware anyone who attacks Disneyland or Walt Disney World outside of these Web sites. That's my eternal childhood yer messin' with!

  14. #44

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    779

    Re: Time magazine screws up re. WDW lines

    That's a pretty serious erroneous dis against America's most popular theme park, and he got it wrong in one of America's most popular & prestigious magazines.
    This is from your OP. Seems like an attack on his employer, (ergo, profession)

    You read this as a passionate Disney fan, while there are many, I do not think an opinion piece in the back of Time magazine is going to stop anyone from going. I think it is your passion for Disney that made you interpet the article the way you did. Nothing wrong with that. My only point is while we disagree with what is written and how it is written, there are no incorrect facts.

  15. #45

    • former CM
    • Online

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    S. Cal. via Milw. & Madison Wisconsin
    Posts
    3,070

    Re: Time magazine screws up re. WDW lines

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lightyear999 View Post
    This is from your OP. Seems like an attack on his employer, (ergo, profession)

    You read this as a passionate Disney fan, while there are many, I do not think an opinion piece in the back of Time magazine is going to stop anyone from going. . .
    I hope not, but you never know. Then again I do hate crowds when I want to go on rides so maybe Time will cut my wait times. And criticizing Disney about a policy they don't have might help stop Disney from actually having that policy in the future.

    I guess I did attack Time for not editing, but I also called Time "popular & prestigious" in my OP.

    I don't think attacking his employer is an attack on his profession. I don't like Michael Bay, but attacking him and his (former?) producer wouldn't be attacking the whole movie-making profession.

    I probably should have written this to be fair, but if Rushin had not included Disney in his amusement park paragraph I probably would have liked his essay.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 09-03-2007 at 06:29 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Twenty Three Magazine, will it be a successor to Disney Magazine?
    By mickeymark34 in forum D23 - Disney Twenty Three
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-21-2009, 05:29 PM
  2. Gentle Giant Screws customers
    By Lost Boy in forum Disney Collectables
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-14-2008, 07:11 PM
  3. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 12-18-2006, 07:16 AM
  4. Disney's Hong Kong Headache - TIME Magazine, 5/8/06
    By Darkbeer in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-08-2006, 06:39 PM
  5. Disney's Hong Kong Headache, Time Asia Magazine, 2006-5-8
    By HongKongDisneyland in forum Hong Kong Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-08-2006, 03:15 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •