Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• white and nerdy

Re: Time magazine screws up re. WDW lines

Hmmm..... I think it's time I back out of this.

It's obvious what the article was talking about, only by politicking away at the language used is there a way to excuse him. I bet my lunch money the author thinks there is a way to buy endless front of line privilege at Disney World and that is exactly what he meant.

I'll also go so far to say that he's not a very good writer on account of his over use of coma splices, which every high school writing class will tell you to avoid. Also his use of hyperbole as a substitute for an actual point. No, he's not a very good writer. He's lucky as he has a job writing for the Times, but he's not very good.

I suppose they may have seen through my clever ruse as a rich person and kept information from me. Any rich people want to give me the password so I can have access to this information?
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

Weighing in late, but I have to say, I agree with Mr. Lightyear. The author never states that you can buy a front of the line pass at WDW, and just says there are similar front of the line programs at WDW.

Think of anything that you would say is similar- like for example reality tv. To me, Big Brother and Survivor are similar shows... but if someone is a superfan of either of them, I would bet they would vehimently disagree. So as WDW superfans, we vehimently disagree with fastpass is similar to the Six Flag and Universal programs... but to the average joe, they are similar programs.

joshuatree, I was also an english major, and although what you are stating as writing 101 is basically correct, you have to admit that in an op ed piece, no one follows writing rules. Maybe in a hard journalism news piece, writers stick hard and fast to journalism writing rules, but in op ed? Not really. (no offence- I love english major nerds- I'm one myself!)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lightyear999 View Post
    This was not a reporter providing misinformation, but an opinion piece and the part of the article the OP is upset about is taken out of context. Whole paragraph.

The writer is giving accurate information about the Gold Flash Pass at Six Flags, but then is using hyperbole for the reference to Space Mountain / Spago. No where in that paragraph, nor in the whole article does it state you can buy your way to the front of the line at WDW.

This is the problem in our society now, the 30 second sound bite or the partial bit of a quote taken out of context and then blown out of proportion, especially by Internet forums. One should quote the full context so readers can judge better for themselves.

Here is the link to the full article.
    http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...657807,00.html

I
    The quote seems to say that rich people (have-mores) can use Fast-Pass to go to the front of a line. That is not true, as far as I know. Any guest can use Fast Pass a few times a day, you don't have to be a "have-more".

(btw, we've used Fast Pass to get a time for a ride, then gone and had lunch, or done a ride with a not-so-long line while we were waiting for our window to pop up. The only difference if we had stood in line was we'd be really hungry when we got to the front, or wouldn't have done that "lesser" ride...

I think it's a nice system, with flaws, but can help every guest cram a bit more into their day...)

I hate to post this, but this is Jim Hill's new article:

http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hi...-far-away.aspx

Sorry for all the hard work, folks, but it looks like he actually might be right!...

• Why can't you tune a fish

Quote Originally Posted by goldenstate5 View Post

Sorry for all the hard work, folks, but it looks like he actually might be right!...

Why is my vacation sounding more and more like work. I just want to go to the park, relax, and ride some freaking rides with reasonable (30 min or less) wait times.

I don't need updates on my cell phone, schedules, the Disney "master computer" tracking my whereabouts or any of that other garbage.

Clean & maintain the parks
    Hire good CM's in the quantity needed
    Fix the restaruant / DDP overcrowding problem

Thats all, stop with all this scheduling me to death crap.

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

Darien IL- a suburb 25 mins west of Chicago

wow....that sucks lol...hope it doesn't go through

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Why is my vacation sounding more and more like work. I just want to go to the park, relax, and ride some freaking rides with reasonable (30 min or less) wait times.

I don't need updates on my cell phone, schedules, the Disney "master computer" tracking my whereabouts or any of that other garbage.

Clean & maintain the parks
    Hire good CM's in the quantity needed
    Fix the restaruant / DDP overcrowding problem

Thats all, stop with all this scheduling me to death crap.

-dave
    omg that is so true. this will be like the ddp overcrouding nightmare applied to the rides. We stay off-site (mariott time share), so we will be second class citizens who have to stand in the super-slow moving standby lines... if this comes to be, it would honestly cut back on how often I would come to wdw.

I just noticed the other day that the new fastpasses show the type of type of ticket media used to obtain the fastpass at the very bottom. I didn't understand why this mattered but now it all makes sense.

• former CM

Thanks for posting that, goldenstate5!

My biggest objection to the Fastpass for sale is expressed by Andy Warhol in a quote I read at the Coca-Cola museum in Atlanta:

"You know that the President drinks Coke, Liz Taylor drinks Coke, and just think, you can drink Coke, too. A Coke is a Coke, and no amount of money can get you a better Coke. All the Cokes are the same and all the Cokes are good."

Quote Originally Posted by Nom View Post
    omg that is so true. this will be like the ddp overcrouding nightmare applied to the rides. We stay off-site (mariott time share), so we will be second class citizens who have to stand in the super-slow moving standby lines... if this comes to be, it would honestly cut back on how often I would come to wdw.

I assume I would be a "first-class" citizen (AP and DVC) but I still don't like it.

Last week we had a few "short days" at WDW. No time to really grab a fastpass and plan out the day around return times. Wile waiting in line for Soarin' and watching all the FP people shoot on by, I came to the realzazation that I agreed with TDLFAN - I hate fastpass. Yes, if used "correctly" it can cut your wait time - a bit - but I deal with schedules and deadlines, and project management all day at work. I dont want to do it on vacation. I want to be able to walk by an attraction, think to myself "I would like to ride that" wait maybe 30 minutes or so, ride it and move on. Not get a ticket and then have to plan when to come back to this area of the park.

I really do not need wait times and recomendations broadcast to my cell phone either.

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

• Pilot EdForceOne

^^ yes, but regardless of what FP haters think.. we will not get 20min wait times if FP were to go away. You still get 60min waits on popular rides
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    ^^ yes, but regardless of what FP haters think.. we will not get 20min wait times if FP were to go away. You still get 60min waits on popular rides
    Yes, but what is the current standby time on those popular rides- I'll bet it's at least double that (if not 3 or 4 times longer).

I'll take a 60 min line for splash on a busy night, if it's moving. It's those massive, non-moving lines that FP creates that I hate.

Similar issues were stirred up over a patent about a year or so ago and nothing became of them.

Patents are specific rather than general. You can't just patent the fast pass system and have that patent wipe out anyone that does something similar. If you want to stop similar things from happening, you must anticipate them and file a lot of defensive patents.

Just like the big stir up about a year ago, I'll actually believe Disney is going to implement this when I see it.

Yes, but what is the current standby time on those popular rides- I'll bet it's at least double that (if not 3 or 4 times longer).

I'll take a 60 min line for splash on a busy night, if it's moving. It's those massive, non-moving lines that FP creates that I hate.

Exactly.

If the FP holder did something that did not involve a ride during their wating time - such as go shopping, then wait times for standby would not increase (overall).

But as soon as a person with a fastpass stands in another line, they are now in effect waiting in two lines at once. The increase the average wait time for people who are not using the fastpass.

-dave

• Pilot EdForceOne

60mins.. is.... 60mins

The psychology of watching others walk past you is getting to you
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast