Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Loves Mickey!

Grand Floridian?

We are staying the the Grand Floridian for the first time for our son's birthday in a few days and are really excited. Is there anything we should try? What fun experiences have you had there?

• Banned User

Re: Grand Floridian?

Do you have any daughters or relly young neices? They do a Cinderella dinner at 1900 park place inside the hotel. They might do other character dinners as well, I don't remember.

• Little Miss Sunshine

I don't really think of the GF as fun in itself, I enjoy the tea - and walking around the resort. I have photos around the resort here: http://www.mousesteps.com/index.php?...d=48&Itemid=77

If you can get into the character meal, that would be a fun thing to do (I believe 1900 Park Fare itself is still closed for rehab, it was still at the GF Cafe, the last time I stopped by).

There is the Pirate Adventure, that is for kids 4 - 12, or something like that (it might be booked up though). And you can watch the fireworks and electric light parade from the resort beach. If you have a chance to go to Fort Wilderness (not the Wilderness Lodge), there is a campfire movie, you can make s'mores, and they have other stuff like wagon rides. That is a GREAT place for kids! But you will have fun no matter where you go.

Make sure to get the birthday button in the parks. Just go to City Hall at the MK, or guest services at the other parks. There is also mini-golf at Fantasia Gardens (my favorite) or Winter Summerland.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

They do have the Tea Time with Alice and Friends, I recommend it.

• One big touch screen.....

Quote Originally Posted by nbodyhome View Post
    you can watch the fireworks and electric light parade from the resort beach.
    And hear the Parade from absolutely anywhere within a 5 mile radius.

• Banned User

Yeah, they do love their eardrum-popping stereo system, don't they?

• Little Miss Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by EPCOT View Post
    And hear the Parade from absolutely anywhere within a 5 mile radius.

I will have to pay more attention to that! I remember that you used to be able to hear the howling from the Haunted Mansion at the beaches too at night. Not sure if that is still the case. A nice evening, a cool breeze, and then hoooooooooowwwwl!
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Wish I could afford to stay at the Grand Floridian.

• Little Miss Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    Wish I could afford to stay at the Grand Floridian.
    I stay at the Pop Century, have tea at the Grand Floridian - and use the money I saved for Europe.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

When I was growing up, we used to be Poly-stayers, but once the GF was built, we always stayed there. I loved it, and honestly, saw it as a really fun and not at all stuffy resort! I know many feel that it is stuffy, but as a kid that went there a lot, I never felt uncomfortable at all. How old is your son?

When I was a bit older (8 or so?), my parents and I would always do the afternoon tea once during our stay. We would get there right when it opened, and it was uncrouded and we could get the comfy couches and chairs and relax. It was always a wonderful memory... a time to stop the park madness, relax and bond as a family. I loved this, if your son is a bit older.

The other thing my dad and I ALWAYS had to do was rent the water mice (the little speed boats). When I was too little to drive my dad and I would share one, but it was even better once I was old enough to drive my own. There is so much water to explore between the Seven Seas Lagoon and Bay Lake, you could spend hours out there. You can do this at any of the resorts on a lake, but it is extra special on the Seven Seas Lagoon or Bay Lake because the MK is right there, you have the monorails going overhead, and there is the water bridge by the contemporary to go over. So cool!

They have a new pool at the GF that has a slide and zero entry, which I think that most kids would love.

Also, they used to rent family bikes where 4 people can ride and pedal at the same time. Your son might like that!

Let me see, what else... I used to love walking down the beach to the Poly, exploring the paths over at that resort, and then taking the monorail back (especially at night). Wow, that is so basic- but it was a thrill for a kid! Once my dad and I tried to walk from the GF all the way to the Contemporary (this was pre-Walk Around the World)- and we made it! It was such an incredible accomplishment and I was so psyched (however we did walk through several areas that I think we were not supposed to be in to get there- I am suprised we made it!). It was a great bonding moment for my dad and me.

They used to have a massive banana split at the Grand Floridian Cafe called the "Seven Seas something"... if you could finish it you got a special prize. I don't know if they still have that or not, but it was special... and my mom finished it!

As others have said, be sure to catch the electrical water pageant from the boat launch dock... and you can also watch the fireworks.

Also, I used to like taking that little boat launch to the MK, as opposed to the monorail sometimes. It was just something that seemed really special to me, because it is such a small boat.

Finally, I am sure you know this, but be sure to request to sit up at the front of the monorail sometime during your stay... preferably either coming back to the GF from the MK, going to the TTC from the GF, or either leg of the EPCOT monorail (the ride from the GF to the MK is too short to really enjoy it).

That is all I can think of for now, but I hope it is helpful- I love the GF and wish I could still afford to stay there (it is outside of my own family budget).

• Little Miss Sunshine

I didn't want anyone thinking I thought it was stuffy - for me, I have other resorts I find more "fun". But there is a lot to do there - just like any of the other resorts (like the boats and pool and such).

We always stayed at the Polynesian when I was growing up - I used to go to the Contemporary for much of my "fun". They had the best game room! But I rented water mice at the Polynesian, and had a great time there as well. Each resort is terrific for kids, IMHO. My favorite fun places is Fort Wilderness, with the movies and campfire and wagon rides. But all of the resorts are special for kids!
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

I didn't want anyone thinking I thought it was stuffy - for me, I have other resorts I find more "fun". But there is a lot to do there - just like any of the other resorts (like the boats and pool and such).

We always stayed at the Polynesian when I was growing up - I used to go to the Contemporary for much of my "fun". They had the best game room! But I rented water mice at the Polynesian, and had a great time there as well. Each resort is terrific for kids, IMHO. My favorite fun places is Fort Wilderness, with the movies and campfire and wagon rides. But all of the resorts are special for kids!

I absolutely agree. Growing up we stayed at the Contemporary a lot and I remember spending hours upon end in that game room. My mother used to give me $50 bucks, that was a lot of money back then and it would last a REALLY long time. No $1-2 games back then.

• Can't get enough!

Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    They do have the Tea Time with Alice and Friends, I recommend it.

Is this different than the tea room with Princess Rose Petal or something like that? I would love to do that with my daughter but it's like $200!!!!!

It's kind of fun to do the impossible- Walt Disney

I didn't want anyone thinking I thought it was stuffy - for me, I have other resorts I find more "fun".
    I wasn't referring to you, but I have seen other threads on another board where other people have said it seems stuffy.

Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    I absolutely agree. Growing up we stayed at the Contemporary a lot and I remember spending hours upon end in that game room. My mother used to give me $50 bucks, that was a lot of money back then and it would last a REALLY long time. No $1-2 games back then.

Wow, that is like a dream come true. I loved the food and fun center.

It's funny, this thread has made me remember how much outside the actual parks I used to enjoy when I was little. I wonder if visitors today stop as much as we used to to enjoy the non-park things.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast