Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

From the early 1970's - Anyone remember this?

When WDW first opened in the early 1970's, there were two strange things (by today's standards) that went on that we all talked about back then:

1. When you entered the front gate at the MK (the only park on the property), the CM at the gate would run their fingers down the backs of the female customers. The reason? To see if they were wearing bras! (This was during the height of the Women's Lib Movement, when many women refused to wear bras as a sign of their "liberation".) If the CM ran his finger down a female's back and felt a bra strap, all was OK. If there was no bra strap, then no admittance for that female. (This policy didn't last long.) Anyone remember this?

2. In the early 1970's, the Mickey Mouse character (who appeared frequently around the MK park) was notorious and well-known for posing with young women - with his hand on their breasts! Seriously. (I'm not making this up.) When asked to pose with a young woman, he would put his arm around them and then cup their breast. We all knew about it - and had lots of photos to prove it. We used to encourage our unknowing girlfriends to pose with Mickey - and then laugh at the results. (Note: in the early 1970's, there was no concept of sexual harrassment.) As I said, Mickey's "subversive" behavior was known and appreciated by many regular Florida visitors back in the "crazy hippie days" of the early 1970's. Does anyone remember this?????
    Last edited by Maui Mike; 09-05-2007 at 08:37 PM.

• She was sweet as a peach

Re: From the early 1970's - Anyone remember this?

My family went durning the "crazy hippie days" (in fact my aunt and uncle were hippies) and this has never come up. Those policies are so outrageous that I know I would have heard the stories.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by Maui Mike View Post
    2. In the early 1970's, the Mickey Mouse character (who appeared frequently around the MK park) was notorious and well-known for posing with young women - with his hand on their breasts! Seriously. (I'm not making this up.) When asked to pose with a young woman, he would put his arm around them and then cup their breast. We all knew about it - and had lots of photos to prove it. We used to encourage our unknowing girlfriends to pose with Mickey - and then laugh at the results. (Note: in the early 1970's, there was no concept of sexual harrassment.) As I said, Mickey's "subversive" behavior was known and appreciated by many regular Florida visitors back in the "crazy hippie days" of the early 1970's. Does anyone remember this?????
    If there are so many photos of this, how come none have been posted here? I'll believe it when I see it.

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    If there are so many photos of this, how come none have been posted here? I'll believe it when I see it.

ITA. Since you've got so many photos to prove it, let's see them!

This post seems like it was cut and pasted from somewhere else, imo.

Blog Entries

I do know that Disneyland had a policy of not admitting males with long hair at one point during that hippie generation. This is the first I've heard of these however.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

I've never heard of this and I asked my mother who was there in the early 70's if that happened to her. Her first visit was in 72' and she said she would remember someone checking for a bra.

Nice story but I don't believe a word of it. LOL

I was there pre-opening and right through opening and a regular visitor for years after that. I don't recall the strap-check. And I certainly don't recall Mickey and the breast business. Never even heard of it and believe me...knowing that kind of stuff would have been right down our group's alley!

We knew several of the "Mickeys" and I seriously doubt any of them would have done anything like that (onstage at least). Heck...the company was much more conservative and strict than it is today, back then. If even one picture of Mickey doing that would have surfaced...there would have been hell to pay. I'm not saying that there couldn't have been some renegade Cast Member doing such a thing. Just that we certainly never heard about any such Mickey.

As far as the strap-check goes, I'm positive they didn't do anything like that as a matter of routine to all women entering the Park. That wouldn't be something that you'd likely forget!

• Pirate - G'har!

If the hair thing is true I wouldn't put it past them...but I too need evidence

• One big touch screen.....

Quote Originally Posted by Maui Mike View Post
    posing with young women - with his hand on their breasts!
    Disney's Magical Excess?

• See you there!

Quote Originally Posted by EPCOT View Post
    Disney's Magical Excess?
    Ha! Ha! Ha! That is great!

CU@DL

Andy
    -
    What is, is... What is not, is not.

Boom!

I don't ask for much... Just a few little things!

Extra effort yields extraordinary results!

Quote Originally Posted by fizzog View Post
    If the hair thing is true I wouldn't put it past them...but I too need evidence
    The hair thing is partially true.

See my first hand report on the Yippie incident that created the policy, and I also posted a link to the newspaper article I scanned from the copy I socked away in the Opus Archives all those years ago, outlining the rather vague and highly discretionary dress code that came about as a result:

http://www.micechat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59054

As you will read, the policy started on Friday August 7, 1970 and ran for only a couple of years after that. It just sort of fizzled away. But it was never an outright ban on long-haired men (the popular public misconception)! Security pretty much "profiled" you and if you didn't seem a risk...they let you in long hair and all.

By the time WDW opened in October of 1971...most all of the long-hair concerns were pretty much already fading. I would say there was sometimes more enforcement at WDW than at Disneyland in those early days. But I think that had more to do with the particular "Southern" mindset and culture of some of the Security personnel that were from the South. I don't like calling some of those guys Rednecks...but some of them were. And some of them had pretty strong personal feelings about, "Them hippies." But that was more their thing than Disney's.

Also see more info in this thread about the long-hair policy/legend at Disneyland in California:

http://www.micechat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71392

• She was sweet as a peach

The long hair issue is also discussed here: http://www.snopes.com/disney/parks/longhair.asp

• Disneyholic

Sorry I ain't buying it either but sounds like it would have been one heck of a recruiting perk for the guys if it where true...
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

• Attn. Space Travelers....

il believe it when i see it.....i think ive heard rumors like this before, but then again i was born a bit after the 70's were over

even for back then, i think a bra check would be "unconstitutional" and would have caused some kind of major incident
    Blast Off Into Adventure!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheRockr View Post
    Space Junk once taught Peter Pan how to do Mick Jagger's famous strut.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by EPCOT View Post
    "Disney's Magical Excess?"

Quote Originally Posted by CUatDL View Post
    "Ha! Ha! Ha! That is great!"
    BRILLIANT!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast