• Mostly Harmless.

First time alone in the parks.....

Ok, so soon I am going to the World by myself for the first time. What is there to do alone? Where is a good place to pick up chicks??? Does it feel silly waiting in the single rider line? Anyways, if anyone has any thoughts....
    He felt like his life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
    follow us on Twitter! @MickeyMutineers
    DisregardListen to our podcast on iTunes!

• Been there-Doing it again

Re: First time alone in the parks.....

Hang out in the British Pub at Epcot to meet people (I can't speak for picking up chicks). The other way you might want to go is noticing all the details since there is no one to distract you. Wrap yourself up in the details and entertainment. Have a "me" day in a place where you normally have to balance what you want to do verses the whole group. OMG is this post touchy-feely.

• Wishin' I was at WDW.

You'll have a great time alone at WDW. I love my solo trips because I take in the entire resort at my own speed. Feel like getting up late? Do it. Feel like taking a watermouse out on the lagoon? You bet.

The parks are fun alone. The single riders line will be your friend, and you may find yourself not even using FastPass on some attractions because the single rider line can be so speedy.

Epcot and Animal Kingdom are ready made for solo travelers. So much just to see if you stop to look. Sometimes in a group you'll walk right by some of the coolest stuff. Take the time to appreciate the design and thought that goes into it.

Consider taking some behind the scenes tours. Keys to the Kingdom is a good one at MK. The two Epcot tours I've done are Undiscovered Future World and Hidden Treasures of World Showcase.

Can't help you with advice on where to pick up chicks, but hey... you're on vacation, and certainly everyone else is too. Hit Pleasure Island....8-Trax is a fun club. Adventurer's Club is beyond description and lots of fun if you're alone, but don't want to go clubbing. The bar in there is also an easy one to strike up conversation at.

Anyhow... Have a great time. A solo WDW vacation can be one of the best.

• Mostly Harmless.

Thanx guys! I love Epcot as it is and want to spend a lot of time there. The picking up chicks thing was kinda a bad joke.... just kind of. These new smilies are great! Anyways I think it will be in 2 weeks as long as these Hurricanes don't blow me away.... Any more tips would be great!
    He felt like his life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.

• The one, the only...

I have gone alone several times to WDW. I perfer groups, but there are advantages to going solo. When you want to repeat a ride, there are no complaints!

I have to say that dining is the only down side. I love restaurants, especially at WDW, but seating alone is no fun. What I do is the buffets. There you can get up out of your seat and get your food. (There are no uncomfortable times just sitting waiting for a server! ) Most times at WDW people have been very nice to me. I go solo again this December! I wish you the best!
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Wishin' I was at WDW.

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan
    I have gone alone several times to WDW. I perfer groups, but there are advantages to going solo. When you want to repeat a ride, there are no complaints!

I have to say that dining is the only down side. I love restaurants, especially at WDW, but seating alone is no fun. What I do is the buffets. There you can get up out of your seat and get your food. (There are no uncomfortable times just sitting waiting for a server! ) Most times at WDW people have been very nice to me. I go solo again this December! I wish you the best!
    Can always bring along something to read while eating. Before Restaurant Akershus went all Princessy (bleeech) I picked up a small book about Norway in the gift shop and read it while having a great (buffet) meal.

• Future CEO

I was alone in the parks just last week for a good portion of my trip (my parents hate crowds & the heat & my brother was in a baseball tournament at WWoS so he needed his rest so they would leave the parks really early and arrive late) and I found that I had a blast. I met a bunch of new people (all ages) and, being that I'm a really big Disney fan, was also able to point out things that the average guest doesn't notice. I met people who had never been to WDW before and it was pretty neat showing them things they would have missed. Not only did I meet people that were coming to Disney for the first time, I met some girls from Argentina that were in the U.S. for the 1st time (I'm bilingual) and got to explain to them some of the best things to do. I don't know if you are very outgoing or not, but being alone allows you to meet some great new people. Dining alone was bad, though - even at a counter - service restaurant.

• Mostly Harmless.

Well I guess it will be a little longer untill I go now... Probally the first week in August. Gotta love last minute deployments......

It's not so bad being a single rider. You'll get through everything you want to do much faster, you will also not be short of people to talk to and chat to. I'm a social introvert and I had no problems talking with people and never felt self conciuos. Granted I didn't do my whole trip solo, but the two people I travelled with never made it to the parks before early afternoon, so I spent half my trip as a solo rider.

I’m not trying to hijack this thread but it pertains to my situation. I am on a business trip in fort lauradale right now and due to work will only have one day to drive down to Orlando and visit the resort.(Tomorrow Thursday the 14th) I am going solo and this will be my first time at Disneyworld. I have been to Disneyland countless of times. I really want to check out Epcot and Magic Kingdom with a park hopper ticket for $98.

Is this even reasonable? Hit Epcot as soon as it opens, ride all the major attractions and cruise around the world showcase. Then in the afternoon drive over to Magic Kingdom and spend the rest of the night there and catch the wishes fire works show I have heard so much about?

Or is it too much to handle in one day? I know its not as easy to go between the parks as it is Disneyland and DCA.. Just want some opinions

Thanks!

• Mostly Harmless.

Hey! I'm in FLL too! But yeah I was gonna hit EPCOT first then probally head to MGM for the rest of the day.... I may do 2 days though.... so who knows. Oh yeah take the turnpike, much better than 95 and worth the few dollars!

• Vulcanian Exile

If you hit the MK, consider finding a (relatively) cool, shady spot on Main Street and watching the kids enter the park from the train station and lay their eyes on the castle for the first time. Not the guaranteed fun of watching terrified kids exiting Mr. Toad, but it can be rewarding.

• Been there-Doing it again

Quote Originally Posted by spot
    I’m not trying to hijack this thread but it pertains to my situation. I am on a business trip in fort lauradale right now and due to work will only have one day to drive down to Orlando and visit the resort.(Tomorrow Thursday the 14th) I am going solo and this will be my first time at Disneyworld. I have been to Disneyland countless of times. I really want to check out Epcot and Magic Kingdom with a park hopper ticket for $98.

Is this even reasonable? Hit Epcot as soon as it opens, ride all the major attractions and cruise around the world showcase. Then in the afternoon drive over to Magic Kingdom and spend the rest of the night there and catch the wishes fire works show I have heard so much about?

Or is it too much to handle in one day? I know its not as easy to go between the parks as it is Disneyland and DCA.. Just want some opinions

Thanks!
    It is possible but you will short change both parks. In my opinion Epcot takes 2 days to really see. They have much more live entertainment and craftsmen/women than any WDW park. The end of the day firework/light show Illuminations is amazing. If you want to hurry through both parks and just ride a few select E-ticket rides in both parks it can be done (the monorail runs between Magic Kingdom and Epcot and is convenient) but you will be in a major rush all day long.

• Vulcanian Exile

Quote Originally Posted by xzoocrew
    [Epcot has] much more live entertainment and craftsmen/women than any WDW park.
    Good point. You might want to pick up one of those entertainment schedules and see all the little things going on in each country. Probably not all of them will be for you, but some are lot more entertaining that you might think. Do those African dudes still do that drum show where they get crazy civilians to dance with them?