Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Possible new fastpass system coming to Disney

But it changes visiting the parks into a logistics exercize. If its 3:35 PM, then I must be at Splash Mountain.
    Completely wrong. I can go to Splash at any time beyond the front end of the window on the fast pass. I get over there when I get over there.

1) If you get a FP for Soarin' and then go wait in the Test Track Standby line, you have make the TT Standby line longer
    But the problem with your scenario is if someone isn't waiting an hour for Soarin such that they got a fast pass, they aren't likely going to then go wait an hour for Test Track right afterwards either. Those of us that work the system as you put it know that would be an incredibly stupid move. Most likely, they're doing something that has a very short line or is not operating at capacity (ie walk on) even mid day in which case they haven't caused a second more of wait in another line.

Now because you are "reserving" spot in the Soarin' line, you have also made that line longer at the same time you are making the Test Track line longer
    Fast pass took you out of the soarin line. You're no longer in it and you aren't back in it until the fast pass comes good. . So the fast pass shortened the line until such time as the fast pass comes good. At that time, it lengthens the line. But since the majority of fast passes are distrubited when the lines get longer, the majority of those who obtain them are transferred to times with shorter lines or possibly no lines at all.

2) Or lets look at it this way. Disregarding breakdowns ets TT and Soarin and process a total of X number of people per hour. FP does not change that. IF somebodys average wait time (the FP holder) has gone down, then somone elses has gone up.
    This is based upon an errant assumption that people get into line always at a rate at or beyond capacity. This isn't the case. Many fast pass rides thin considerably once the afternoon peak period has passed. Some take a bit longer. A couple never thin but that is because they are relatively new and still drawing extra crowds because of it. Fast pass in the net transfers people from the fatter line times to the thinner line times. It isn't universal. But it is the net effect. .

Also, this story was in the front page of the Orlando Sentinel today so for those of you who wished that it wasnt true...well...sorry
    The only factual part is that Disney has applied for a patent. The rest of the story consists of CONCLUSIONS BASED UPON SPECULATION. Those conclusions may come true. Or this may just be a defensive patent application and Disney is going to table it. We got a similar story over a year ago in response to a patent application. No actual changes resulted from that one. I wouldn't panic until I hear Disney announce it.

Originally Posted by aimster
    Jim Hill doesn't know what he's talking about? Oh shock! Horror

I think it's plenty OK for them to give perks to ALL their resort guests, but I think it would be dangerous to set up a class system within the Disney World Resort.
    The blowback they would get from that would be large.

• Why can't you tune a fish

Quote Originally Posted by WSVR View Post
    Completely wrong. I can go to Splash at any time beyond the front end of the window on the fast pass. I get over there when I get over there.
    Can you - yes. Are you supposed to, or more accurately are the CM's supposed to let you - NO. You have a fastpass window of an hour. If you miss the end of your window then you miss out. However, because people cry and whine, the CM's have been instructed to let them in past the end of their window. What does this do, it furthers screws up the queueing logic used in the fast pass system.

But the problem with your scenario is if someone isn't waiting an hour for Soarin such that they got a fast pass, they aren't likely going to then go wait an hour for Test Track right afterwards either. Those of us that work the system as you put it know that would be an incredibly stupid move. Most likely, they're doing something that has a very short line or is not operating at capacity (ie walk on) even mid day in which case they haven't caused a second more of wait in another line.
    If they are riding walk ons, then yes, they have not added to the wait of that walk on ride. I would beg to differ about the people not standing in long wait queues while holding an FP for another attraction. And really, over the course of an operating year, what percentage of the time are ANY rides walk on's. There are a few that do tend to be walk on, but once you exhaust those what do you do? Ride them again?

Fast pass took you out of the soarin line. You're no longer in it and you aren't back in it until the fast pass comes good. . So the fast pass shortened the line until such time as the fast pass comes good. At that time, it lengthens the line. But since the majority of fast passes are distrubited when the lines get longer, the majority of those who obtain them are transferred to times with shorter lines or possibly no lines at all.
    It does not matter if yuor FP brings you back at a time when the wait is shorter, by rejoining the line, you have made it longer. It does not matter if you caused it to go from 30 to 31 minutes or 70 to 71, you made it longer. And, if you were off riding other attractions that were not walk ons, you made them longer too.

This is based upon an errant assumption that people get into line always at a rate at or beyond capacity. This isn't the case. Many fast pass rides thin considerably once the afternoon peak period has passed. Some take a bit longer. A couple never thin but that is because they are relatively new and still drawing extra crowds because of it. Fast pass in the net transfers people from the fatter line times to the thinner line times. It isn't universal. But it is the net effect. .
    If thats the case then why can i get FP return times between the hours of 10:00 and 2:00 - right smack in the middle of the "fat" line time?

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

• back to WDW in January

See original thread posted earlier here: http://www.micechat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76613

• "There's always my way"

R-u-m-o-r

"Since the dawn of recorded time, communication has revolutionized our lives and changed our world. We now have the ability and the responsability to build new bridges of acceptance and cooperation between us. To create a better world for ourselves and our children as we continue our amazing journey aboard Spaceship Earth." - Jeremy Irons (Spaceship Earth)

• Disneyholic

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Can you - yes. Are you supposed to, or more accurately are the CM's supposed to let you - NO. You have a fastpass window of an hour. If you miss the end of your window then you miss out. However, because people cry and whine, the CM's have been instructed to let them in past the end of their window. What does this do, it furthers screws up the queueing logic used in the fast pass system.

-dave

OK now I'm confused I was told by a CM that we could use the FP anytime after the start time.... Was there a policy change in the past year or so?
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

• Pathetically Obsessed

Jim Hill lost all credibility with me a while back. I go to that site to read the other columnists. Jim's stuff always gets taken with a huge grain of salt, unless it's a research project. His stuff on Walt's proposed Mineral King ski resort was really good. As for his 'truth and rumors' type content, well.... pass that salt!
    "Fire at will, boys!"

"Which one's Will?

• Why can't you tune a fish

Quote Originally Posted by Jerren View Post
    OK now I'm confused I was told by a CM that we could use the FP anytime after the start time.... Was there a policy change in the past year or so?

In order for the FP system to work correctly, you should return within your window. If they were to leave the windows open ended, then there could be times of no FP returns and times where there are rushes (after parades for example). The return window is supposed to spread the FP users out over the entire day. Now admittedly, I would think most people would return close to their stated return time. But you never know what people are going to do.

From what I understand ( and somebody correct me if I have my facts wrong) the CMs were told to ignore the second time on the ticket and let people into the FP queue as long as its after their return time. Is this "offical" policy? Who's to say, but it just serves to mess up the system further.

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

• Yes?

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    Also, this story was in the front page of the Orlando Sentinel today so for those of you who wished that it wasnt true...well...sorry
    Quote Originally Posted by EPCOT1982 View Post
    R-u-m-o-r
    How can it be a rumor it The Orlando Sentinel did an article on it? Unless it was about different changes to the FP system...just wondering....wonder if there is a link to this story on the Orlando Sentinel's wbsite...
    Quote Originally Posted by larasound View Post
    am I the burrito man?

• Banned User

this would be another perk for staying on property and frankly there is no difference between preferred seating and reserved areas they do at uninversal orlando. or for that matter if you stay on property your room key is the "front of the line" that you usually pay extra for. I see nothing wrong with people paying 350 a night getting something better than people staying at values or moderates. It's a way of life folks, you get what you pay for and if you want a cheap room with no frills then that is what you can get or you can pay 300 or more a night and get deluxe accomodations.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Cmash95 View Post
    this would be another perk for staying on property and frankly there is no difference between preferred seating and reserved areas they do at uninversal orlando. or for that matter if you stay on property your room key is the "front of the line" that you usually pay extra for. I see nothing wrong with people paying 350 a night getting something better than people staying at values or moderates. It's a way of life folks, you get what you pay for and if you want a cheap room with no frills then that is what you can get or you can pay 300 or more a night and get deluxe accomodations.

Well there are many more resorts in WDW than Universal, which means that the effect on non-resort guests will be much greater. Also inside a Disney park, people shouldn't feel like they are poor. At any other theme park that isn't as big of a deal, but the Disney parks should stay magical for all.

• former CM

A Disney World safe for the upper class

As a frequent guest of the Grand Floridian I would like to join Cmash in sneering at those of you who expect to be treated as well as your betters. It's bad enough we have to smell you as you pass through our first class sections on airplanes; waiting on line next to you on a hot days is simply insufferable! Bravo, Cmash, and here's a tip of a the hat to a Disney World segregated by class, just like the rest of the world.

P.S. I would thank you to please remind your children not to speak to mine. It's about time you started teaching them their place. A Small World it may be, but, thankfully, it's not yet THAT small.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

And what about local visitors who live 25 minutes away? What about people who drive over while visiting another place in Florida? While not on the scale as some of the other Resorts, Walt Disney World is visited by more than people visiting for multiple days. Such a hotel based system does more than alienate hotel guests, it alienates people who have no cause for being a hotel guest.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by evilqueenrocks View Post
    How can it be a rumor it The Orlando Sentinel did an article on it? Unless it was about different changes to the FP system...just wondering....wonder if there is a link to this story on the Orlando Sentinel's wbsite...
    As stated in the ORIGINAL thread, and mentioned by others here as well.. just because you patent something does NOT mean you necessarily intend to implement it.. now or even at all.

Patents are how you protect Intellectual Property - they can be defensive and offensive tools. You are protecting your IDEAS, not necessarily your products you are delivering.

Just because you file a patent - it is not confirmation of pending change.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Yes?

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    As stated in the ORIGINAL thread, and mentioned by others here as well.. just because you patent something does NOT mean you necessarily intend to implement it.. now or even at all.

Patents are how you protect Intellectual Property - they can be defensive and offensive tools. You are protecting your IDEAS, not necessarily your products you are delivering.

Just because you file a patent - it is not confirmation of pending change.
    My point is the fact that changes ARE being made but whether those changes are ever implemented, as you have said is yet to be seen, but they are being made for future possible use. So therefore, the changes are not a rumor, just how or even if when they will be implemented is yet to be seen. If you read the Orlando Sentinel article it states just that, quoting a Disney spokesperson. I'm just getting tired of people jumping all over things and telling others they are wrong when it is not necessarily so. People can speculate all they want about what the changes could be. The fact is, these changes COULD happen but are not imminent. Disney is just upgrading the system for possible future changes. Now, the OP is from another fansite source so I don't give it much credit, but my point still stands that changes are being made, we just don' know what changes yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by larasound View Post
    am I the burrito man?

• Can't get enough!

would annual passholders get any benefits?

It's kind of fun to do the impossible- Walt Disney

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast