Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• I'll Break your Thumbs!!

Possible new fastpass system coming to Disney

I just read this on screamscape.com and if its true, its going to suck...

Quote Originally Posted by screamscape
    I’ve never been a fan of Disney’s FastPass system and I’ve always said that as time moves on Disney will get greedy and try to cash in on it with some kind of extra cost premium version. According to the latest write up at Jim Hill Media, a new patent application from Disney last month reveals plans to implement such a system for guests staying at Disney Resort hotels. Don’t think you can just plus your experience by staying at the All Stars or Pop Century however as the patent is designed so that “the more that is spent by a patron, the higher the priority (they will receive) for Fastpass.” This means guest staying at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge or Grand Californian will receive a must higher priority (ie: shorter wait time) in the virtual queue system than guest staying at the lower tier resorts.
    There are also ideas for a paper free wireless set of FastPass tickets you can book the night before from your hotel room. As your Wireless FastPass tickets come up, they will be sent to your cell phone which can be shown as proof. Using the Wireless system Disney will also be able to track your basic location throughout the park over the day, offering you tips and alternative attractions if one were to break down.
    While this all sounds nifty and geek-ishly cool at first, the downside will be less available FastPasses to the majority of Diseny’s park guests who do not staying in Disney resorts, longer wait times and an even bigger sense of segregation as Disney creates a virtual tower of caste levels to identify their guests by. This also opens up a Pandora’s Box of other premium opportunities for Disney based on such a system. For example: what if guests staying at the top tiers hotels were always allowed first choice of seating on any given ride or show? The same cut to the front of the line access could easily be added to the various restaurants as well. This would essentially create a “First Class Passenger” level of theme park guests akin to the First Class status on airlines, possibly even with an added perk of complimentary beverages at select locations. Nice for them... but who doesn’t sneer at the airport when they call for advanced pre-boarding for First Class passengers? Who doesn’t feel like rolling their eyes went the flight attendants pull that privacy curtain across the aisle so you can’t see what’s happening up there from the rest of the cabin? Or is it all just the voices in my own head?
    Here is the link to the Jim hill article:

http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hi...-far-away.aspx

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Re: Possible new fastpass system coming to Disney

Don't count on it. Just because it's patented doesn't mean it's going to happen.
    -Bill

• I was deleted.

Yes, changes to the FP system might be underway as Kevin Yee has mentioned in previous articles but for what you mention here Parisi I have to go back to your sources. While they might be true, the credibility of authors does come into play, so I would like to put this one in the rumor pile.

• Progressive Disneylander

I do not believe that they will ever prioritize the higher spenders (i.e. Grand Floridian guests over Pop Century guests) in the Fast Pass system.

I think it's plenty OK for them to give perks to ALL their resort guests, but I think it would be dangerous to set up a class system within the Disney World Resort.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

If Jim Hill thinks that it's going to happen the way Jim described it, he's a complete fool. The very idea of flashing a cell phone to a CM and using it as a Fastpass is utterly ridiculous. This system will work differently then described in the Jim Hill article, as well as in the patent.
    -Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    If Jim Hill thinks that it's going to happen the way Jim described it, he's a complete fool. The very idea of flashing a cell phone to a CM and using it as a Fastpass is utterly ridiculous. This system will work differently then described in the Jim Hill article, as well as in the patent.
    Bill, are you telling me that Jim Hill is a liar? lol. For why, Bill?
    Goodbye, Me Bizarro is not Monkey Joe. Me Bizarro hates Disney parks so much. Hello

• Senior Minion

'All animals are equal. But some animals are more equal than others'
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey joe View Post
    Bill, are you telling me that Jim Hill is a liar? lol. For why, Bill?
    Jim Hill doesn't know what he's talking about? Oh shock! Horror!

• Disneyland Bear

So I am confused, does this mean that fast pass is only going to be available to Disney resort guests? I hope not. We never stay on Disney property, its much cheaper for us to stay at Hilton Grand Vacation clubs. And if we can't get fast pass then, my family will most definetly opt for Universal instead.

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    Jim Hill doesn't know what he's talking about? Oh shock! Horror!

LOL Jim Hilll actually wrote an article about one question back in the day on Laughing Place.com. Basically I asked what happened to the Roger Rabbit project for the Disney-MGM Studios and he wrote about it and said that he was saving it for his book on never made Disney atrraction but decide to post it because I asked. Back then, I was Abu233 on the laughing place. Good time, Good time. Speaking of Jim, What ever happen to Fab, his exwife and lover of all things Tony Baxer?
    Goodbye, Me Bizarro is not Monkey Joe. Me Bizarro hates Disney parks so much. Hello

• Minion

I hope this doesn't come true.

• Can't get enough!

all this would do is cause mayhem...can you imagine how people would react to being treated as "lower class" visitors! i would imagine some people may act out seeing a GF guest get on a ride and they having to wait who knows how long! not a good idea !!!!!

It's kind of fun to do the impossible- Walt Disney

The only improvement to the FAST PASS system that I want to see is the COMPLETE ELIMINATION of it.

• Nutty about Disney parks

Quote Originally Posted by ti2gr View Post
    The only improvement to the FAST PASS system that I want to see is the COMPLETE ELIMINATION of it.
    I've never used the fastpass system...is it really THAT bad?

Also, this story was in the front page of the Orlando Sentinel today so for those of you who wished that it wasnt true...well...sorry
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• Why can't you tune a fish

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    I've never used the fastpass system...is it really THAT bad?

Also, this story was in the front page of the Orlando Sentinel today so for those of you who wished that it wasnt true...well...sorry

Speaing as someone who used to LOVE Fastpass. If you work the Fastpass system, really work the system, it cuts your wait time. But it changes visiting the parks into a logistics exercize. If its 3:35 PM, then I must be at Splash Mountain.

Fastpass increases the wait time of the standby lines. People will argue this, but here are some ways to look at it.

1) If you get a FP for Soarin' and then go wait in the Test Track Standby line, you have make the TT Standby line longer. We can all agree on that I hope. Now because you are "reserving" spot in the Soarin' line, you have also made that line longer at the same time you are making the Test Track line longer

2) Or lets look at it this way. Disregarding breakdowns ets TT and Soarin and process a total of X number of people per hour. FP does not change that. IF somebodys average wait time (the FP holder) has gone down, then somone elses has gone up.

I don't hate it (yet) but because my method of going to parks has changed (I no longer want to schedule the crap out of my vacation) it no longer suits my needs. It used to, but now it does not.

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast