Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Minion

The Magic Kingom shouldn't be a Giant Toontown Fair.

The true soul of a Disney experience lies in the Magic Kingdom park of the resort. Unfortenately, WDW's MK is turning into something mainly for kids. A darkly humorous dark ride (Mr. Toad) got taken out for the almost kids only ride, The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh. The submarine lagoon was filled in and a Winnie the Pooh play ground was built on top of it. An actual scary attraction (Alien Encounter) was taken out for a Stitch advertisement. I wasn't a fan of the Timekeeper, but how many adults (ecspecially without kids) care that much about visiting a Monsters Inc. comedy club?
    I feel that Disney is viewing the MK as their dumping ground for kiddie attractions. The Magic Kingdom (referring to all MKs around the world) experience was built on experiences that a wide range of people could enjoy like The Haunted Mansion, Big Thunder Mountain, Indiana Jones Adventure, Pirates of the Caribbean, Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, the Matterhorn Bobsleds, Peter Pan's Flight, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, and the Jungle Cruise. I love the Magic Kingdom style parks so much more than the other styles of parks at WDW. I can understand not wanting to have something as scary as Alien Encounter, but it appealed to a much larger age group than the crap that is being put in the MK now.

• Disneyholic

Re: The Magic Kingom shouldn't be a Giant Toontown Fair.

I think you'll find most of us even those with small kids will agree with you GH.... I for one would love to see the Journey to the center of the earth ride from TDL or something along those lines fill the void in tomorrowland.
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

I don't think the Pooh ride is kids only anymore than Peter Pan's Flight is. In fact, I like the Winnie the Pooh ride very much and think it fits in perfectly. Although, I do agree about the playground and Monsters Inc. and Stitch.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Why can't you tune a fish

I agree with Yoyo about the Pooh ride. It's no more kiddy that Pan, Teacups, Dumbo, or even Small World.

The playground did not "replace" the subs. The subs were taken out for their own reasons, and later the playground was stuck there to help fill the spot. They could have just as easily stuck a churro cart there. Its just something to fill the spot.

As far as Stitch, I dont find it THAT bad. Boring maybe, but not horribly bad. Same goes for MILF. Its cute, and entertaining. Not jaw dropping or a must see, but not bad.

There are still plenty of "Adult" rides in the MK to take advantage of.

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

• Nutty about Disney parks

Are you sure you are not thinking of Hong Kong Disneyland?

I think tomorrowland has it the worst with Stitch's Encounter, Monsters Inc, and all the Buzz Lightyear stuff.

Epcot is also developing the same problem. I know a lot of people say that they liked the new Gran Fiesta Tour but I hated it! The old Mexican boat ride was waaaay better.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    Are you sure you are not thinking of Hong Kong Disneyland?

I think tomorrowland has it the worst with Stitch's Encounter, Monsters Inc, and all the Buzz Lightyear stuff.

Epcot is also developing the same problem. I know a lot of people say that they liked the new Gran Fiesta Tour but I hated it! The old Mexican boat ride was waaaay better.

Hong Kong Disneyland also has the same problem as WDW's MK. EPCOT also has the same problem, ecspecially when they replaced tanks with real fish with projections of Nemo and friends.
    Tomorrowland does probably have it worse in the MK, as far as the cartoonization goes. Star Tours (though science-fiction) saves DL's Tommorowland.

About Pooh, Pooh just doesn't have the magic of Pan, go and ask a bunch of childless 20 somethings which they like more between Pooh and Pan, and they will overwhelmingly say Pan. The magic of real Disney rides, is that they never feel kiddy, but kids like them. Pan has wonder, adventure, and the fun of flight, Pooh is just going on a track and seeing Pooh characters.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHost2 View Post
    Hong Kong Disneyland also has the same problem as WDW's MK. EPCOT also has the same problem, ecspecially when they replaced tanks with real fish with projections of Nemo and friends.
    Tomorrowland does probably have it worse in the MK, as far as the cartoonization goes. Star Tours (though science-fiction) saves DL's Tommorowland.

About Pooh, Pooh just doesn't have the magic of Pan, go and ask a bunch of childless 20 somethings which they like more between Pooh and Pan, and they will overwhelmingly say Pan. The magic of real Disney rides, is that they never feel kiddy, but kids like them. Pan has wonder, adventure, and the fun of flight, Pooh is just going on a track and seeing Pooh characters.

No, there is a story there. Haffalumps and Woozles. In fact, when I was a 20 something with no kids Pooh is what I could relate to BETTER than Pan. My dad worked for Sears, and at the time Pooh was the "mascot" of Sears. We had Pooh stuff everywhere and heard the Pooh stories all the time.

It all depends on what you are used to. but there is wonder, adventure, and imagination in the Pooh stories. Its not just going on a track and seeing Pooh characters.

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

• враг народа

Blog Entries

I agree with you in principle, but I think you really botched your details.

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post

Who. me ?

-dave

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Who. me ?

-dave
    No, the original poster.

• MA Reader Since 2003

I think your right and it is indeed a very scary trend. It would suck if they turned the MK into a giant kiddie playground. I thought Disney parks were supposed to be a place where a parent and their child could have fun together. Isnt this what made Disney so popular? What the hell are they doing? Please some wise executive (probably from a state college who actually had to work for their position) slap these young stupid fools and do not allow their bought and paid for Ivy league degrees to steer the company into a trust fund babies thoughtless ideas.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge..."
    -Albert Einstein

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post

Which details?

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Which details?
    You primarily focused on replacements, with only Alien Encounter versus Stitch's Great Escape being the strongest. There are a lot of other elements like character meals, merchandise or synergy without regard to theme that could have been included.

• Banned User

I will admit that the Magic Kingdom has fallen very far from the crowning theme park it once was. I hear more and more people comparing it to Disneyland stressing that it has less rides, it just bigger, and doesn't have nearly as much appeal. As Walt Disney World's flagship theme park, this park should be on the ball. It should be the freshest, most refined, and most classic of all the 4 parks. All of its offerings are old and outdated. It has undeniably been over-run with cartoony, 'kiddy' themes that reduce it. To me the park used to be a mighty icon of the entire Disney World empire. Now as I look down Main Street with its red slurry sidewalks, buildings that haven't seemed to been touched since the 1970's, treeless, height-less hub with the ugly Mickey, cartoonish show set out front of Cinderella Castle, it really shows how 'stale' it has gotten.

All of the parks at Disney World for that matter (except for Animal Kingdom) show just how fall they have fallen. MGM looks ridiculous with the sorcerer as it's icon. Epcot is a whole other mess. The removal of the wand is miraculous, but still you can't help but think what a mess it is. Now there is even a rumor of a Kim Possible show there? Where has all the originality gone? What happened to the future and optimism? Its a recurring theme with all the first 3 parks. And don't get me started on the Where Dreams Come True junk.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

The true soul of a Disney experience lies in the Magic Kingdom park of the resort. Unfortenately, WDW's MK is turning into something mainly for kids. A darkly humorous dark ride (Mr. Toad) got taken out for the almost kids only ride, The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh. The submarine lagoon was filled in and a Winnie the Pooh play ground was built on top of it. An actual scary attraction (Alien Encounter) was taken out for a Stitch advertisement. I wasn't a fan of the Timekeeper, but how many adults (ecspecially without kids) care that much about visiting a Monsters Inc. comedy club?
    I feel that Disney is viewing the MK as their dumping ground for kiddie attractions. The Magic Kingdom (referring to all MKs around the world) experience was built on experiences that a wide range of people could enjoy like The Haunted Mansion, Big Thunder Mountain, Indiana Jones Adventure, Pirates of the Caribbean, Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, the Matterhorn Bobsleds, Peter Pan's Flight, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, and the Jungle Cruise. I love the Magic Kingdom style parks so much more than the other styles of parks at WDW. I can understand not wanting to have something as scary as Alien Encounter, but it appealed to a much larger age group than the crap that is being put in the MK now.

Why stop there? Tiki Room was tooned up and it's horrible! Buzz Lightyear took over Dream Flight or Take Flight... though that was a GOOD replacement. Adventureland got a stupid Aladdin carpet spinner.

But you're right. Stitch, Monsters..... it's all just a giant uninspired stomping ground.

I do like theh Pooh ride in florida. It's good. I know people like Mr. Toad but Pooh is a decent replacement at least.

I think the problem overall is that MK lacks a lot of other attractions. With everything being replaced, the percentage of anything decent diminishes quickly.

Buzz Lightyear and Splash Mountain were the only new toon based attractions that are good.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast