Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• One big touch screen.....

Re: looking for pic of sorcerer hat at MGM studios

Quote Originally Posted by TheDisneyInquisitor View Post
    And once you get passed Hollywood Blvd you realize the Theater is nothing but a copycat facade.

So the Great Movie Ride is "nothing"?

.........hat debate round 89, ding ding!

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by Ward View Post
    I think I know what restrictions you're talking about regarding the theater, but I still don't see what that has to do with the hat. Being next to, in front of, besides, or behind the theater wouldn't keep Disney from moving the hat to the current Christmas tree spot, would it?
    The thing is, they need something covering up the theater from the Main Entrance (or get rid of PhotoPass in that area and don't promote Hollywood Blvd in the advertising, neither of which I'd think Disney would be willing to do).

Quote Originally Posted by EPCOT View Post
    So the Great Movie Ride is "nothing"?

.........hat debate round 89, ding ding!
    No, the GMR is something..... it just is not in the Chinese theater. It's in that large (and not hidden) show building right behind it. Now you might mention Splash Mountain... the difference is that they make every attempt to hide its show building and parts of the ride actually do take place in that facade, neither of which is true for GMR/Chinese Theater.
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• Minion

Maybe they should put something in front of the hat. Like a big crane with a Mickey hand and wand, for example.

• Minion

I have heard a lot of rumor and speculation about how Disney isn't allowed to show the Chinese Theater...but haven't seen a single shred of evidence to back it up. Has there ever been any official statement by Disney or Warner on this issue, or has anyone with any first hand knowledge of the matter ever made such a statement? Not that I know of (doesn't mean that it isn't true, I've just never seen any proof).

• Minion

No, the GMR is something..... it just is not in the Chinese theater. It's in that large (and not hidden) show building right behind it. Now you might mention Splash Mountain... the difference is that they make every attempt to hide its show building and parts of the ride actually do take place in that facade, neither of which is true for GMR/Chinese Theater.
    Quite a few Disney rides are housed in show buildings that are separate from the entrance structures. Take a look on Google Earth...that is the case for practically every big ride. The Chinese Theater doesn't strike me as any different in that respect...it depicts a grand movie palace and is an appropriate (and classy) entrance to a ride about movies.
    Last edited by tasman; 09-11-2007 at 03:25 PM.

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by tasman View Post
    Quite a few Disney rides are housed in show buildings that are separate from the entrance structures. Take a look on Google Earth...that is the case for practically every big ride. The Chinese Theater doesn't strike me as any different in that respect...it depicts a grand movie palace and is an appropriate (and classy) entrance to a ride about movies.
    The difference is that with all those other show buildings (Splash, HM, Pirates, MS, etc) make every attempt to hide the show buildings. That is just not the case with GMR. In addition, the point I was trying was to those who are saying "The hat is just a store." Store or not, at least its a fully-3-dimensional structure that isn't just a copycat/clone of something else.

I have heard a lot of rumor and speculation about how Disney isn't allowed to show the Chinese Theater...but haven't seen a single shred of evidence to back it up. Has there ever been any official statement by Disney or Warner on this issue, or has anyone with any first hand knowledge of the matter ever made such a statement? Not that I know of (doesn't mean that it isn't true, I've just never seen any proof).
    What proof do you need? Warner Brothers/Paramount own Grauman's theater... Disney doesn't. The Chinese theater is a virtual clone of its Californian original (I believe exact clone of the 1980s paint scheme). There are no copyrights on the original building itself (as I believe architecture wasn't copyrightable until the late 80s/early 90s). Still, legal action could be taken, and for Disney its just easier to avoid all that.
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• Disneyholic

What proof do you need? Warner Brothers/Paramount own Grauman's theater... Disney doesn't. The Chinese theater is a virtual clone of its Californian original (I believe exact clone of the 1980s paint scheme). There are no copyrights on the original building itself (as I believe architecture wasn't copyrightable until the late 80s/early 90s). Still, legal action could be taken, and for Disney its just easier to avoid all that.
    First off I'm sure it Paramount had a leg to stand on they would have tried already, LA has more than its fair share of litigators looking for something to bill the studios for.

Secondly the obvious defense is that the Disney Studios is meant to represent the golden age of Holywood, a time before Paramount owned the property, they layout of that area represents the Holywood of that era.

Third, Disney doesn't own the Brown Derby in Hollywood does it? I don't see a giant goofy hat covering the entrance to that... The look and feel of "classic" architecture like the Eiffel tower, empire state building, etc are not the IP of the original property owners. If it where almost every theme park would be in trouble including Paramount's Kings Dominion parks...

So I'm going to have to agree with tasman here, I want to se case law clearly stating why Disney cannot show the theater under the "facade of holywood" defense before I buy into it.
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123