Space Mountain & Matterhorn's Track

Ok, this has been bugging me for a long time. So many people have said that Disneyland's Matterhorn track and Magic Kingdom's Space Mountain are identical, or at least have the same layout.

NO THEY DON'T!!!!!

I live here in California and visit Disneyland very often. I've been on Matterhorn so many times, I know the track layout pretty well. I've also been on WDW's Space Mountain many times, enough to know that its track is NOT the same as Matterhorn's. I have no idea why people keep saying they are the same. Just because these two attractions both have duel tracks, doesn't mean they are identical. Space Mountain's track has way more dips and sharp turns. Matterhorn's track barely has any. I don't know who was the one that started this so-called "Disney fun fact" but it isn't true!

• white and nerdy

Re: Space Mountain & Matterhorn's Track

Yes it is.

Okay, that was just to rile you up. I never heard they were the same.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• Sock Puppet

I have never heard anyone say that they have the same track layout. They do however have similar ride mechanics.

So if someone said, "The track is the same" they did not mean layout, they meant type.

• Banned User

I have ridden both rides enough to confirm they are not alike, nor do they seem to have the same mechanisms. Look closely... AT the Matterhorn, wheels have to move vehicles up to the bottom of the lift and also assit thru the ride. Not at WDW's Space Mt, where electric mechanisms and air breaks do the trick. Not sure if Matterhorns' have been updated with the newer systems.

However, there are these two other rides at DL and WDW that *do* share the same track layout, with different show... Indy and Dinosaur.

Dinosaur has a few slight differences. The first most notable one is at the first Carnotaurus attack. In indy the track curves around here into the Bug room. In dinosaur they remoed one of the curves to make for a larger scene.

Also, in the scene where you see the Iguanadon lifting the tree there is a much steeper hill than in Indy.

These differences are pretty subtle though. There are probably a couple I've left out.

• Attn. Space Travelers....

Matterhorn and Space Mountain are similar technically, but the layout is NOT the same at all!! SM indeed does have more sharp turns and drops than the Matterhorn.

The two rides are only similar in their dual track nature and the fact that they are both pipe steel coasters that have air flowing through the track to detect cracks when the pressure drops. Other than that, there are no real similarities.
    Blast Off Into Adventure!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheRockr View Post
    Space Junk once taught Peter Pan how to do Mick Jagger's famous strut.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

The coasters can also utilize the same cars. The ones currently on the Matterhorn are from Space Mountain.

• Attn. Space Travelers....

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    The coasters can also utilize the same cars. The ones currently on the Matterhorn are from Space Mountain.

yup...thats the other similarity i forgot lol!!!

sadly, the 'bobsleds" from Matterhorn are literally the "rockets" from Space, but with yellow stripes and a generally different color scheme
    Blast Off Into Adventure!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheRockr View Post
    Space Junk once taught Peter Pan how to do Mick Jagger's famous strut.