Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Back to WDW soon!!!!!!!!!

Question Disney Magical Express, how reliable is it?

Hello everyone,
    I am going to WDW in december and will be using the Disney Magical Express for the first time. I was wondering how reliable this service actually is as i have heard good and bad about it.
    I feel a little uneasy about leaving my luggage at the airport as i have read about some guests where Disney have lost a piece of their luggage or it got delivered very late, sometimes not until a couple of days later.
    Also, how does it work going home when you leave your Disney Resort to go to the airport?, are you allowed to take your luggage with you when you leave or do you leave it at the Resort for Disney to take later?. I would much rather have my luggage with me, especially going home, i would be worried on the flight home that my luggage was not on the plane.
    I would be very interested to hear from any of you who have used this service and your thoughts on it, good or bad.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Re: Disney Magical Express, how reliable is it?

I just used it in August, and had no problems. The bags were there after I got back from the parks, and everything was in order.

Also, when I used it to go home, I left my bags at the concierge desk, and went to the parks. When I returned from the parks for the bus, I simply picked up my bags and they were loaded on the bus for me, to pick up by me to check in when I got to the airport.

I wouldn't worry about it. I remember all the stories too, and I think Disney has worked out a lot of the issues. Also, remember that no matter what, anything may happen with any carrier, even the luggage being lost on the flight! There is a certain risk, but in my experience, I have not had any problems with it.

Take it, enjoy it, and try not to worry about it.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Back to WDW soon!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoflamingo View Post
    I just used it in August, and had no problems. The bags were there after I got back from the parks, and everything was in order.

Also, when I used it to go home, I left my bags at the concierge desk, and went to the parks. When I returned from the parks for the bus, I simply picked up my bags and they were loaded on the bus for me, to pick up by me to check in when I got to the airport.

I wouldn't worry about it. I remember all the stories too, and I think Disney has worked out a lot of the issues. Also, remember that no matter what, anything may happen with any carrier, even the luggage being lost on the flight! There is a certain risk, but in my experience, I have not had any problems with it.

Take it, enjoy it, and try not to worry about it.
    Thanks for your reply, i feel better about it now

And you are right, things will go wrong from time to time, i remember on my 1st trip to WDW back in 1992 my luggage was put on the wrong plane coming home, we did get it back nearly a week later. I was 14 at the time and i was really upset because it was our first trip and we had all our things we bought at Disney in our suitcases and i really thought we would not get them back.

Only 11 weeks to go until my next trip, can't wait!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

Our only issue was they didn't deliver Chris' bags until later. But that was because we switched rooms. BUT my bags were delivered on time.
    I had them check my bags when I left and they were the 3rd and 4th ones off the carousel
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Why can't you tune a fish

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed-One View Post
    Hello everyone,
    I am going to WDW in december and will be using the Disney Magical Express for the first time. I was wondering how reliable this service actually is as i have heard good and bad about it.
    I feel a little uneasy about leaving my luggage at the airport as i have read about some guests where Disney have lost a piece of their luggage or it got delivered very late, sometimes not until a couple of days later.
    Also, how does it work going home when you leave your Disney Resort to go to the airport?, are you allowed to take your luggage with you when you leave or do you leave it at the Resort for Disney to take later?. I would much rather have my luggage with me, especially going home, i would be worried on the flight home that my luggage was not on the plane.
    I would be very interested to hear from any of you who have used this service and your thoughts on it, good or bad.
    I have used it - more times than I can recall - an never, NEVER had a problem. Either when arriving or when departing.

Somthing to remember about the problems you have heard about is that they MAY not have been caused by Dinsey. When you use DME, it's Disneys job to get your luggage to your room. That means that if your airline screws up and you luggage comes in on the next flight, Disney is there to get it. If 2 bags show up at your room and you had three, you call Disney. The apoligize and then get on it for you. They deal with the airlines, they look in lost luggage, they do the leg work. You go and try to enjoy the park. Otherwise its up to YOU to try and deal with the airlines.

If you want to you can take your luggage with you, either comming or going. Just tell bell services you do not want to check in at your resort and then get a boarding pass and simply waltz though security when you get to DCA. Tell them you want to have you bags on the bus, then you want the pleasure of dragging them though the airport, waiting in line, checking them, getting your boarding passes, and THEN finally being at the same point you would have been had you left it up to DME.

All kidding aside, I have use it with my luggage, my ex's luggage, my-ex inlaw's luggage, and my kids luggage at various times. All told DME has handled someones luggage - either mine, or a family members, at least 46 times without incident.

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

• Ok time for cocoa

We checked in a eight in the evening, luggage did not show up till 12. Had to wait up for it. That was my only problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    How is a state religion bad, but state medicine good?
    Quote Originally Posted by steamboatpete View Post
    Anyone who makes the decision to depend upon the government to take care of their basic needs has essentially doomed himself to a life of bitter disappointment.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Rick View Post
    We checked in a eight in the evening, luggage did not show up till 12. Had to wait up for it. That was my only problem.
    Or, if you had gone to bed, they would have quietly put it in your room for you. (So I have heard)
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain

Quote Originally Posted by NeverNeverland View Post
    Or, if you had gone to bed, they would have quietly put it in your room for you. (So I have heard)
    That kind of creeps me out , but I have also heard that they do this.

I have only had one "issue," and it was in January. My mom and I had to wait up past midnight for our bags, after arriving in the early afternoon (we have used DME more than 10 times and never had a problem before so we had our medicine, but not pajamas and clothes for the next day (I know, cardinal rule of carry ons), so we had to wait up).

1 small issue out of 10 is very good, though, IMO. I wouldn't worry. As other people mentioned, small issues can arise in any number of ways. I would just pack a day's worth of necessities in your carry on (unlike me in January ) and don't sweat it.

Have a great time!
    "When entering the theater, please move as far to the end of the row as possible. Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic." -Sam Eagle

"I may have invented these bifocals I'm wearing, but I can assure you they're not rose-colored" -Ben Franklin, The American Adventure

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sabres2006 View Post
    That kind of creeps me out , but I have also heard that they do this.

Me too, actually. I think I would wait up for it too.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain

• Former CM

The only time I used DME it worked great except for 1 thing. We didn't get out luggage tags until after we left, but it wasn't a big deal. I just had to go to the DME counter at MCO and tell them They then pulled out some pages and asked what looked the closest to our luggage. When I gave them my answer I also told them they had a sliver ribbon on the handle. Everyone made it to the rooms without any problems and they were there before we were going to be allowed into our rooms (we came in early and the Coronado was fully booked the night before, but they did let us in there early).

Thumbs up Re: Disney Magical Express, how reliable is it?

When me and my wife took our Honeymoon (I REALLY need to finish that TR) in jan, we has no issues what so ever. The biggest problem was the dated video on the bus.

Whe got to the Poly, checked in (found out we went from a discounted garden view room to concierge in the Hawaii Longhouse) and went to dinner in Epcot (I think). When we came back our bags were there waiting for us. ( I think, might have been a little later, either way they were there when we went to bed and we did not seem em show up).

All in all I would recomend the service to anyone taking a trip to WDW.

SEMPER ABSURDA

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

Have never had a problem with them... so far. Always a first time for something bad to happen. I can't expect any service I use to be the best but good enough. I think DME has whatever they do down to a science based on other previous mistakes that didn't happen to me.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

• Why can't you tune a fish

Quote Originally Posted by NeverNeverland View Post

I think they have changed this. Now, if it comes in after a certain time (I want to say 11:00 PM) they will hold it at bell sevices and leave a message on your phone that it's then. When you call they will then come and drop it off at your room. It avoids the people creeping in the middle of the night. It may have more to do with the fact that some people sleep with the lock on the door. Or mabe a CM walked in on "something".

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

• Five-Legged Goat

Glad to hear from everybody on this. I'll be using DME for the first time shortly, and had some initial trepidation... but I definitely feel reassured.

We used it in 2005 and thought it was great. We brought our bags out by the busses, and they took care of them from there. It worked flawlessly.

We were told that, this year, we will be okay flying in, but will have to take our bags back to the airport with us because we are flying Southwest and they don't have an agreement with Disney for the baggage handling or something. Handing the bags to someone at the resort and not seeing them again until we got to Chicago was nice last time, but we can deal with this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast