Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 105
  1. #1

    • I'm Theme Park Happy!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,565

    Question Who Here Likes That MGM & AK Are Half A Day Parks? Who Here Wants Them To Be More?

    Okay, one can say that one can truely spend an entire day at each of these parks but for people like me who have been to the same parks repeatedly they do in fact become half a day parks.

    I personally love that I can go to these parks for half a day and then use the 2nd half of the day to go to Downtown Disney or to breakfast/dinner at a Disney hotel.

    Who else here likes that MGM Studios & Animal Kingdom are pretty much half a day parks?

    Who here want them to be more?
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com



  2. #2

    • Nutty about Disney parks
    • Online

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    2,606

    Re: Who Here Likes That MGM & AK Are Half A Day Parks? Who Here Wants Them To Be More

    I think both parks could stand to have more actual rides. MK is loaded while Epcot has about 12 rides (?). MGM has only 5 soon to be 6 and AK only has 3 real rides. I think that's the big issue.

    I dont mind AK being a half day park. It wouldnt work so much for MGM because it's more popular with the older crowd and they would want to hit the parks at night for rides such as Tower or Terror and Aerosmith. Once again I am thinking from a POV of a possible Disney exec. Someone please help me before I lose my mind and become one!
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

  3. #3

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Darien IL- a suburb 25 mins west of Chicago
    Posts
    204

    Re: Who Here Likes That MGM & AK Are Half A Day Parks? Who Here Wants Them To Be More

    AK has like limitless possibilities with the amount of open space they have so I see the half day park label will eventually change. I have a feeling the studios are in line for a kinda overhaul and if that happens i'm sure there'll be more to entertain people. Granted its a smaller park but theres still plenty they can pack in there...just hope they don't get rid of my BLT anytime soon =o(

  4. #4

    • I was deleted.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    13,187

    Re: Who Here Likes That MGM & AK Are Half A Day Parks? Who Here Wants Them To Be More

    MK is more of a half day park for me than Studios.

  5. #5

    • MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles & Orange County
    Posts
    21,346

    Re: Who Here Likes That MGM & AK Are Half A Day Parks? Who Here Wants Them To Be More

    Every park at Walt Disney World could use more rides.


    Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

    Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

  6. #6

    •   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    All smiles at the DL!
    Posts
    20,517
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Who Here Likes That MGM & AK Are Half A Day Parks? Who Here Wants Them To Be More

    I would love for MGM to become more than a hal fday park (though it's full day for me... its' my second fave) but I'm A OK at AK being one. They close early "for the animals" anyway, and I guess there's no getting around that!!!
    Last edited by NeverNeverland; 09-19-2007 at 09:26 PM.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...





  7. #7

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Darien IL- a suburb 25 mins west of Chicago
    Posts
    204

    Re: Who Here Likes That MGM & AK Are Half A Day Parks? Who Here Wants Them To Be More

    Quote Originally Posted by BigPigletFan View Post
    MK is more of a half day park for me than Studios.
    haha I guess that it depends on what you do in a park to make it a half or full day. Whichever one keeps your interests. I still love MK though

  8. #8

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,206

    Re: Who Here Likes That MGM & AK Are Half A Day Parks? Who Here Wants Them To Be More

    Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Every park at Walt Disney World could use more rides.
    I agree.

    Since MK is open the latest and it has my 3 WDW favorites (HM, BTM, Spash), I hit it up after which ever park I went to during the day time. MK is a sorry excuse for a Disneyland style park, but it still offers me a lot more than the other WDW parks. I wish every park in WDW could be considered a full day quality park on it's own.

  9. #9

    • враг народа
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    13,996
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Who Here Likes That MGM & AK Are Half A Day Parks? Who Here Wants Them To Be More

    Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Every park at Walt Disney World could use more rides.
    I agree. I see the "whole" factor having much more to do with crowds than offerings. Even the Magic Kingdom pales in comparison to the Disneylands, probably excluding Hong Kong Disneyland. I believe Walt Disney World relies far too much on distance to add moving to part of the day. I see a whole day at a park as one ending where I still want to come back tomorrow and not do a lot of repeats. I see the parks at Walt Disney World as mostly being parks I can spend a day at, but not whole day experiences.

    The lack of truely having a lot to do played in the failure of Disney's Animal Kingdom to get people to stay longer. A lot of stuff was being repeated or acting as a filler so people just cut the fat. Each park needs a full roster of "must dos" along with supporting attractions to even out the day.

  10. #10

    • Just this guy......
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    2,524

    Re: Who Here Likes That MGM & AK Are Half A Day Parks? Who Here Wants Them To Be More

    Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    I think both parks could stand to have more actual rides. MK is loaded while Epcot has about 12 rides (?). MGM has only 5 soon to be 6 and AK only has 3 real rides. I think that's the big issue.
    All parks could use more attractions. But you also have to include the shows and other entertainment besides the rides.

  11. #11

    • MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles & Orange County
    Posts
    21,346

    Re: Who Here Likes That MGM & AK Are Half A Day Parks? Who Here Wants Them To Be More

    Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    I agree. I see the "whole" factor having much more to do with crowds than offerings. Even the Magic Kingdom pales in comparison to the Disneylands, probably excluding Hong Kong Disneyland. I believe Walt Disney World relies far too much on distance to add moving to part of the day. I see a whole day at a park as one ending where I still want to come back tomorrow and not do a lot of repeats. I see the parks at Walt Disney World as mostly being parks I can spend a day at, but not whole day experiences.

    The lack of truely having a lot to do played in the failure of Disney's Animal Kingdom to get people to stay longer. A lot of stuff was being repeated or acting as a filler so people just cut the fat. Each park needs a full roster of "must dos" along with supporting attractions to even out the day.


    Yah. I think the problem overall is that they WANT you to park hop. Since the parks are so far apart from each other, I'd rather spend all day at Magic Kingdom, all day at Epcot (doable, but many attractions aren't repeatable for frequent visitors), all day at Hollywood Studios, and all day at Animal Kingdom.

    I don't want to hear from anyone that there's more to WDW than rides either! The rides are the key to a disney theme park's success. It's what Walt Disney Imagineers have perfected and what you're supposed to see a TON of at a resort with "world" in the title. Everything else should be the icing.


    Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

    Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

  12. #12

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Lake Buena Vista Florida
    Posts
    682

    Re: Who Here Likes That MGM & AK Are Half A Day Parks? Who Here Wants Them To Be More

    Disney-MGM Studios is NOT a half day park. Sure if all you want to do is ride the rides, then, yes that can be done in a half day. In order to see all the shows the park has to offer and to experience all of the attractions a full day is required. You have to realize that Disney-MGM is based on show business and therefore is loaded down with more shows than the other parks.

    In order to see all of the shows, ride all of the rides and see most or all of the attractions you do need a full day. I hate when people think that this park is just a half day park. I would challenge any of them to ride all 5 rides, and see all the shows and attractions in just a half day and that includes the parade and Fantasmic.

    People just want to rush from ride to ride. Nobody takes time to pick up a times guide to see the shows, and non ride attractions and just absorb the ambience of the park. Same holds true with the other parks. Slow down and take your time through the parks. Why is there the need to rush rush rush. If you slow down, you might enjoy the park more. That holds true for not just the Studios, but Epcot, Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom and dare I say Sea World, Universal and Islands of Adventure.

    People just need to SLOW DOWN.

  13. #13

    • Pilot EdForceOne
    • Online

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,623

    Re: Who Here Likes That MGM & AK Are Half A Day Parks? Who Here Wants Them To Be More

    Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    I don't want to hear from anyone that there's more to WDW than rides either! The rides are the key to a disney theme park's success.
    I don't agree at all.

    Classic attractions like CoP, Tiki Room, the treehouse, TSI, etc are all examples of non-rides that are true and dear to disney fans.. and to call them not part of the disney success would probably be sacrilege here...

    Disney is about experience, not if its a ride or a show or even just a walk-through.

    People bash on MGM and DAK because they think there isn't much to do there - there is, its just they chose not to do those types of attractions because they are ride seekers.

    You'd have to be on a mad-man's schedule to see all the shows at MGM in a single day. Let alone the other rides.

    DAK has less of each (shows and rides) but is offset by the amount of exploration areas and walk-throughs. DAK is close to its full day... MGM you can't do in a day and see everything - you must pick and chose. The show schedule alone would take nearly you're entire day.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid


    Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

  14. #14

    • Disneyholic
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,621

    Re: Who Here Likes That MGM & AK Are Half A Day Parks? Who Here Wants Them To Be More

    Quote Originally Posted by ti2gr View Post
    Disney-MGM Studios is NOT a half day park. Sure if all you want to do is ride the rides, then, yes that can be done in a half day. In order to see all the shows the park has to offer and to experience all of the attractions a full day is required. You have to realize that Disney-MGM is based on show business and therefore is loaded down with more shows than the other parks.

    In order to see all of the shows, ride all of the rides and see most or all of the attractions you do need a full day. I hate when people think that this park is just a half day park. I would challenge any of them to ride all 5 rides, and see all the shows and attractions in just a half day and that includes the parade and Fantasmic.

    People just want to rush from ride to ride. Nobody takes time to pick up a times guide to see the shows, and non ride attractions and just absorb the ambience of the park. Same holds true with the other parks. Slow down and take your time through the parks. Why is there the need to rush rush rush. If you slow down, you might enjoy the park more. That holds true for not just the Studios, but Epcot, Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom and dare I say Sea World, Universal and Islands of Adventure.

    People just need to SLOW DOWN.

    I couldn't agree more... Slow down and enjoy the "Show". If you do all the trails, shows, etc at AK you can spend all day there and not see everything in the park, ride the Safari a few times throughout the day and its never the same adventure twice.

    Same with MGM although there are not as many shows as there used to be, if you take the time to explore the streets and all you can easily spend all day and not hit everything. Do you know what happens when you pull the rope by Indie show? Do you know what I'm talking about? Hmmm....

    Now if all you are looking for is rides MK holds the crown not that they couldn't add more to all of them but this is Disney not six flags the rides are only part of the show not the show itself I think that gets lost in the rush sometimes.
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

  15. #15

    • Why can't you tune a fish
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NE New Jersey - Yeah thats the place
    Posts
    2,338

    Re: Who Here Likes That MGM & AK Are Half A Day Parks? Who Here Wants Them To Be More

    Quote Originally Posted by ti2gr View Post
    Disney-MGM Studios is NOT a half day park. Sure if all you want to do is ride the rides, then, yes that can be done in a half day. In order to see all the shows the park has to offer and to experience all of the attractions a full day is required. You have to realize that Disney-MGM is based on show business and therefore is loaded down with more shows than the other parks.

    In order to see all of the shows, ride all of the rides and see most or all of the attractions you do need a full day. I hate when people think that this park is just a half day park. I would challenge any of them to ride all 5 rides, and see all the shows and attractions in just a half day and that includes the parade and Fantasmic.

    People just want to rush from ride to ride. Nobody takes time to pick up a times guide to see the shows, and non ride attractions and just absorb the ambience of the park. Same holds true with the other parks. Slow down and take your time through the parks. Why is there the need to rush rush rush. If you slow down, you might enjoy the park more. That holds true for not just the Studios, but Epcot, Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom and dare I say Sea World, Universal and Islands of Adventure.

    People just need to SLOW DOWN.
    I agree. I actualy find the Studios the HARDEST park to see all (or almost all) the shows and attractions in. There are so many "conflicting" shows that in order to see them all you really do have to have a plan. I can see this being frustrating to some, because if you are not acutely aware of show times you can end up missing a lot because you are waiting on line for a ride, or wandering around, or whatever.

    -dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Which parks do you consider "half-day" parks?
    By BoogaFrito in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 09-23-2007, 11:40 AM
  2. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07-20-2006, 05:29 PM
  3. Glass half full or half empty?
    By Cuzco-topia in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 06-02-2005, 02:08 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •