Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Banned User

Some confusion over whats going on at Epcot Center?

I saw abunch of pics at WDWmagic and have a few questions for those of you in the know.

1 - How comes they are tearing out all the planters and everything and putting in new plants but there not removing those ugly trees infront of SSE and restoring the original skinny palms?

2-Those Epcot signs with the classic logo on them that are white and blue...are they new or have they always been there? Because over at WDWmagic some people are saying those are new signs others are saying tehre old.

3-Does anyone know if they will paint over those brown leave a legacy streaks on SSE's legs?

• May the F=ma be with you

Re: Some confusion over whats going on at Epcot Center?

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbuster626 View Post
    I saw abunch of pics at WDWmagic and have a few questions for those of you in the know.

1 - How comes they are tearing out all the planters and everything and putting in new plants but there not removing those ugly trees infront of SSE and restoring the original skinny palms?

2-Those Epcot signs with the classic logo on them that are white and blue...are they new or have they always been there? Because over at WDWmagic some people are saying those are new signs others are saying tehre old.

3-Does anyone know if they will paint over those brown leave a legacy streaks on SSE's legs?

1. From you post, I think that you mean the Oaks. They have been removed.

2. I know that at least one sign has had the original logo for many years now. I'm oretty sure those other blue ones are fairly new for I have never noticed them in person.

3. I would think so but that's just my speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

Blog Entries

They're currently painting over the other legs so I assume those will get it too. Nothing officially known though.

• Five-Legged Goat

I would have liked to see new signs at the park with "EPCOT" in all caps, but oh well.

And I certainly hope those "skid marks" on the legs of SSE get painted over soon... at least they'll be easier to remove than the cemetery...

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbuster626 View Post

First off, nothing is going on at Epcot Center. Everything is going on at Epcot.

1) Why? It's called change. They are doing something new. Hence, they are tearing out those cube trees (which I believe have been there since Epcot opened), in favor of short palm trees. They have torn out the large skinny palm trees behind SSE in favor of shorter, thicker palm trees (though taller than the ones replacing the cube trees). If they do remove those trees from in front of SSE (can't remember their names), I would predict that they wouldn't be replaced by the tall skinny palms but rather the shorter palms being placed elsewhere. Epcot 2007 is not going to look like Epcot Center 1982 (nor should it). They are going for a brand new design with certain "throwbacks" to retrocot (like the flower logos, etc).

2) Some of the signs are new and some are not. I believe the ones by the monorail are new (and the ones with the 1994-ish Epcot font). Other signs are not new. Rather, they've just replaced the generic SSE panels on front that used to point to older things like Leave a Legacy ordering. (OT, but personally, I love the one on the left side of SSE that says Universe of Energy ^, SSE ^, Test Track ^, Innoventions ^, Lost and Found ^, Guest Relations ^, M:S ^.... instead of just saying Everything ^. )

3) Maybe some day, but I highly doubt it's going to happen anytime soon. There really isn't enough time in the 8 days left until the 25th. It wouldn't really make sense to remove them unless they were planning on removing LaL itself anyway.
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by TheDisneyInquisitor View Post
    First off, nothing is going on at Epcot Center. Everything is going on at Epcot.
    Don't be too sure of yourself.

• Former Epcot CM

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Don't be too sure of yourself.
    Wise advice. You should listen to yourself sometimes.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

I was referring to the term Epcot Center vs. Epcot.

• Self Congratulative

Zing!

I have no idea what's on that other site because I don't visit it.

But as for EPCOT Center, there is a very strong push to bring the rightful name back instead of the absurd Epcot, which doesn't mean anything beyond a watered down Disney experience. This idea has gained much traction in very powerful corners of the company and I'd be shocked if it didn't happen.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974 View Post
    But as for EPCOT Center, there is a very strong push to bring the rightful name back instead of the absurd Epcot, which doesn't mean anything beyond a watered down Disney experience. This idea has gained much traction in very powerful corners of the company and I'd be shocked if it didn't happen.
    Such sweet music to my ears. I really hope Disney does change the name back to EPCOT Center. What the hell is an Epcot anyways? It just screams Disney ripping itself, and its legacy, off.

Blog Entries

3) Maybe some day, but I highly doubt it's going to happen anytime soon. There really isn't enough time in the 8 days left until the 25th. It wouldn't really make sense to remove them unless they were planning on removing LaL itself anyway.
    It wouldn't make sense for them not too. If they're painting the rest of the legs then the front legs would look out of place to not be painted with the same colors. It really doesn't take that long to paint those legs. It also makes perfect sense to paint over them even if they're leaving LaL. The LaL designer never wanted that put on there, it was some idiot who thought people wouldn't understand that the stones were supposed to subtlely tie into the legs on SSE so some marketing genius figured they should paint them on there as well to make it obvious.

I also found this post at another board in relation to the palm trees which seems to counteract your statement regarding them as well.

On other boards some have asked if the newly planted palm trees on the sides of the SSE queue and planters are short palm trees, or will always be short.

The palm trees are washington palm trees. They are quite affordable. THEY GROW FAST.

They are the same type of trees used in the original landscaping of the park in 1982.

The palm trees planted on the wand planter and wandless planters are about 8-9 trees per planter. The same number as the original palm trees planted in 1982. They are already set at different hights *not noticeable from certain angles* and in 2 years or so....they should be not extremely tall, but noticeably taller, possibly taller than the earth station building they sit next to.

The palms planted along the SSE queue are also washington palms, they will grow, but it depends on if Disney will let them grow naturally or will somehow sculpt them, because they too will get as tall as the ones in the planters.

So in a matter of a few years one can find a nice hint to 1982 EPCOT Center landscaping.

Of all of the things I wish they'd have from 1982, the "square" trees are very very low on my list

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by TheDisneyInquisitor View Post
    your ignorance amuses me

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974 View Post
    Hence why I made the comment I did.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast