Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• Once more, with feeling!

Under the blue and pink tarps of the French Market

Ellen's Energy Adventure

I just got back from my first trip to WDW, and want to talk about this attraction for a little bit.

I never planned on seeing this show, but did it just because I was there, it was very hot outside, and I had a lot of time to burn. Because I never hear people talking about or because it's not advertised at all, I had very low expectations for Ellen's Energy Adventure. Let me just say that I was very impressed with this attraction.

I thought it was funny (I get a big kick out of Ellen, whether she is a fish or a talk show host) and the music was great. The widescreen, beuatiful shots, detailed animatronic scenes were fantastic, and it also starred Bill Nye the science Guy, Jamie Lee Curtis, and Alex Trebec in an entertaining and engaging storyline about Ellen's dream. I loved it, and ended up going on it again the next day.

And a whopping 45 minutes, no less!

What are your opinions on this attraction, and why do you think it doesn't get a lot of the spotlight at Epcot?

• Banned User

Delaware...hopefully not for that much longer.

Re: Ellen's Energy Adventure

Well...it probably got spotlight when it opened, but seeing as it was opened in 1996, Epcot can't really market it. I'm sure interest has faded.

It's an amazing ride that deserves better...but it's just too old to market.

• They wanna know, HO!

Great concept and ride. Love the jokes...

"And NOBODY locks their doors in New York..."

• Minion

I liked it, especially the dinosaurs part. It's been a long time since I've gotten a good look at some animatronic dinosaurs (Dinosaur at AK goes by so fast, and no more Kingdom of the Dinosaurs out here at Knotts ). I knew nothing about the attraction going in and was pleasantly surprised to see Bill Nye. I loved his show; he's so cool. But, coming out of it, I couldn't help but get the impression that there must have been some other version of this ride there before that was then updated to Ellen and Bill. There were lots of nice films, and then this cool long segment of dinosaur animatronics, and then more films. To me it didn't seem to flow all that well, sort of like the imagineers said "well we've got these dinosaurs here and we don't want to get rid of them, so we've got to work them into the story somehow. Let's add an Ellen AA here."
    Also, the whole energy theme and the evolution of different forms of usable energy seemed to be glossed over in the films, almost as an afterthought. The meat of the presentation seemed to be stretched fairly thin over a series of Ellen's antics, which was where my focus ended up being drawn. If you'd asked me as soon as I came out, "what did you think that attraction was about?" I would have said, "It was about Ellen dreaming about going back in time, seeing dinosaurs, and playing Jeopardy. Energy? What energy? Oh yeah. Somehow Ellen wakes up with an appreciation for energy. *shrug*"
    Was there a pre-1996 version, and can anyone tell me about it? I've been curious ever since my trip to WDW.
    My finger points.

• They wanna know, HO!

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Shakers
    I liked it, especially the dinosaurs part. It's been a long time since I've gotten a good look at some animatronic dinosaurs (Dinosaur at AK goes by so fast, and no more Kingdom of the Dinosaurs out here at Knotts ). I knew nothing about the attraction going in and was pleasantly surprised to see Bill Nye. I loved his show; he's so cool. But, coming out of it, I couldn't help but get the impression that there must have been some other version of this ride there before that was then updated to Ellen and Bill. There were lots of nice films, and then this cool long segment of dinosaur animatronics, and then more films. To me it didn't seem to flow all that well, sort of like the imagineers said "well we've got these dinosaurs here and we don't want to get rid of them, so we've got to work them into the story somehow. Let's add an Ellen AA here."
    Also, the whole energy theme and the evolution of different forms of usable energy seemed to be glossed over in the films, almost as an afterthought. The meat of the presentation seemed to be stretched fairly thin over a series of Ellen's antics, which was where my focus ended up being drawn. If you'd asked me as soon as I came out, "what did you think that attraction was about?" I would have said, "It was about Ellen dreaming about going back in time, seeing dinosaurs, and playing Jeopardy. Energy? What energy? Oh yeah. Somehow Ellen wakes up with an appreciation for energy. *shrug*"
    Was there a pre-1996 version, and can anyone tell me about it? I've been curious ever since my trip to WDW.
    Yes there was, here's a great website on the concept, old ride, and current ride: http://www.energy.planet7.org/companion/top/mosaic.htm

• Once more, with feeling!

Under the blue and pink tarps of the French Market

I noticed the glossing-over of the energy theme too. Also, I noticed the actor that plays Kramer as the caveman that discovers fire.

• Wishin' I was at WDW.

I love the Universe of Energy/Ellen's Energy Adventure. Whenever I visit Epcot, I try to see it, but am not always successful. My last trip the attraction was down for technical problems and I missed it.

Anyhow... it does seem to be one of the "hidden" attractions at Epcot...odd seeing just how large the pavilion is... but every time I've gone there are always park guests that ask the attendants what is inside.

I think that the Ellen show is a nice update of an old EPCOT attraction that makes learning about different types of energy quite interesting. I've seen kids on this become completely engaged in what is going on. Myself? I'm always amazed by the scope of the presentation. It's truly a technological wonder inside Epcot.

• Know More Than You Should

Personally, I love it. Its always at the top of my list for Epcot attravtions. I just went to WDW last week, and of course saw it, so its still fresh in my mind. I even recorded it on my little iPod microphone attachment so now I can listen to it whenever I want!

Why do I think it doesn't get a lot of attention? Well, for one thing, it draws a pretty good croud anyway. It does get one bit of advertising; its pointed out in the speil for the monorail to Epcot as you pass it, and mentions that it featured ED and BNTSG. For one thing, its long, 37 minutes to be exact, but closer to 45 when you add in wait time and loading the "moving theaters". For another, it moves very slowly, and really all you see is the prehistoric jungle. Apart from that, all it is is watching a movie, which is much less hands on than some other epcot attractions.

Now, of course in my own opinion, I love it. The huge panoramic views and awesome sound, plus the fact that I am both a fan of Ellen and Bill Nye, make this a really great attraction.

Quote Originally Posted by testtrack321
    Great concept and ride. Love the jokes...

"And NOBODY locks their doors in New York..."
    "I KNOW! Big piece of corn right there in the teeth! How could you not... I'm gonna have to call you back..."

• Self Congratulative

Personally, (because every great post on this message board starts with 'personally') I think EEA is suffering from Mission Space crowds blocking the view. The EEA building just doesn't catch the attention nearly as much as the Mission Space building does. I think it could use some new signage and viola!

As far as the attraction itself, it's timeless (no pun intended). There is nothing in it that makes you feel like you're seeing an aging attraction from the mid-90's. There aren't many attractions there that do that very well.

I love this attraction-the dinosaurs, Ellen, Bill Nye, the jeopardy thing. I have to go every trip-besides, Ellen really likes my hair. LOL

Didn't somebody say that this attraction was going to go to seasonal-operation only, since Exxon moved out as the sponsor???

If so, it'll join the ones like Timekeeper and Wonders of Life as the "lost" attractions.....

-Scarecrow.

Quote Originally Posted by testtrack321
    Yes there was, here's a great website on the concept, old ride, and current ride: http://www.energy.planet7.org/companion/top/mosaic.htm
    And today, don't you know, is they're third anniversary!

• Best Buds

I think the ride is fine. I do find myself wondering, however, if anyone under 10 really remembers Bill Nye as being "The Science Guy." It might not matter, since in the context of the skits you get the impression that he is a Scientist.
    ------------------
    DLR '84, 85, 96, 02, 05, 06x2, 07x2, 08x2, 09, 10, 11; WDW '92, 98, 00, 06, 08, 10; DLP '02; TDR '07

Hey, check out my podcast!
    http://www.comedy4cast.com

• Banned User

Oh come on, Bill Nye was on TV just last week! He's on the news all the time now as a respected scientist who can simplify things so anyone can understand!

And Bill Nye is still shown in most schools across the US in middle school. (If the school has a decent science program that is.)

As for the attraction, since my name is Bill...

"Bill? Is that you?" "rarrrr" "That's you're stomach growling isn't it? I told you we should have stopped for snacks!" "RARRRRRRRRWWWWWRRRRRRR!!!!" "You're not Bill are you? I mean, I mean your name could be Bill, but you're not the Bill that I was with..."

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast