Disney crowds nearing July 4th

I am scheduled to visit WDW June 21st through June 28th with my husband, four children (11,5,5,2), and my mother. We are staying at a timeshare and only have one week. Since this the kids with the exception of the 11 yo and hubby's first trip to Disney, I wanted it to be special without overwhelming them so I was going to extend our trip three or four nights at a hotel or resort if I can get a good room only rate. That way we could leave in the middle of the day to get out of the heat or do a couple of half days to not burn them out. I was reading posts that said 4th of July week was the busiest so I was wondering with your combined experience, is it worth extending our trip during the busiest time of the year? I want to be out of there by July 3rd the latest but what is the crowds really like around that time?

• formerly PretzelSouls!

Re: Disney crowds nearing July 4th

I usually take my daughter to Disneyland around the fourth, and it doesn't seem to be extremely crowded, I've noticed that Mondays & Tuesdays are not often busy also. The time of year Disneyland gets the most crowded to my knowing is Christmas times Hope this information helped.
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

• Loves Mickey!

We went to MK last year on July 3rd and it was not busy at all. The fireworks were really nice so if you get to extend your trip to that date you should definately check it out!

• Can't get enough!

We just went over the 4th this year. The crowds were not anywhere near what they are the week between Christmas and New Years. The are still there however! And it is HOT!!! The morning of the 5th Magic Kingdom wasn't too bad, probably because everyone was up late the night before. Later in the week it got busier!

It's kind of fun to do the impossible- Walt Disney

That makes me feel a lot better about extending the trip then. Thanks guys. This thread is GREAT!

I expect crowds, I mean it is the summer, I just don't want to suffocate.

• Ardent WDW Enthusiast

I went this year and it was not bad at all. The only bad night we had was our first at MGM during EMH Evenings (park was jammed) but everything else (including July 3rd @ the MK) was not bad at all.

The Unofficial Guide says that it's no worse than any other Summer Week... Which means it's busy, but no worse than any other week during that time. (The 4th has a slight dip in fact).