Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Live From EPCOT's 25th!

Opus...reporting LIVE from EPCOT Center! Quick report...

Beautiful morning. The "Power of Walt" kept that bad weather away for this mornings festivities. They were playing all the original entrance music throughout the Park, which as great to hear.

Entering the Park, everyone got a nice 3" Birthday Button and the Retro Map and special entertainment and event schedule.

The line for the Pin Center went all the way back to Spaceship Earth's entrance. Looooooong! Other lines for limited edition merchandise and shirts at various kiosks. Mouse Gear was the place to go though as there were hardly any lines in there. The shirts and the LE Figment plushes were going fast. The Figment is dressed in a shiny tux with top had, and the material has the old EPCOT Center logos in it. The bottom of one foot has the limited edition business. They were selling like hotcakes along with the shirts (and pins, of course). Really a lot of fun.

Ceremony was very nice with Execs, Ambassadors, and Marty Sklar talking. Had Future World and World Showcase Cast with logo banners. They they reenacted the fountain water pouring ceremony and called off each country and where their water came from within their countries. Finale was fountain, music and daytime fireworks.

I thought it was rather nice myself...and not too many plugs for YOMD. Well done! And a lot of excitement from all the fans. Haven't seen the EPCOT display yet.

Prior...as the old soundtracks played...the crowd was singing along, and that was fun.

Then about 10 minutes after it was all over...it started to rain pretty good. But Walt kept it clear for the ceremony. Looks like it's going to rain on and off for some time. The line for the pins is just as long as before....huge!

Well...gotta go. Almost lunchtime! More later.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Re: Live From EPCOT's 25th!

Nice! Thanks for sharing Opus Keep us updated!

• Me and Tommy Kirk

Thanks Opus1guy! Did you take any pictures?

• Circle of Ancients

Loving the reports.

Looks like I may have to look on Ebay for one of the shirts.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I want a retro map!

• I was deleted.

Great report Ops! Keep us updated!

• World Traveler

Very cool. What fun to be at the park on such an occasion.

• Banned User

Was John Lasseter there?

• Little Miss Sunshine

I should have 50 - 100 pics up within the hour. It was very nice, but Marty Sklars talk was the best!

Denise
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

• back to WDW in January

Quote Originally Posted by nbodyhome View Post
    I should have 50 - 100 pics up within the hour. It was very nice, but Marty Sklars talk was the best!

Denise
    because he said ... ? cmon now, toss us a bone here

• Nerd.

I so wish I could be there today, even in this bad weather! I live in S. FL and the weather is so bad today. Almost like a mini trop. storm. Was thinking about those of you at EPCOT Center today. Can't wait for the pics.

• Little Miss Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by tjcjr View Post
    because he said ... ? cmon now, toss us a bone here
    Hey, I have to get back to Epcot, I'm working on the pics! But we were not allowed to take photos in the Circle of Life, unfortunately. He gave a solid hour talk, with loads of photos I'd never seen (and I didn't know that Iran was almost a pavillion, I found that interesting!) So much he talked about. I wish everyone could have been there.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

Sorry folks...no pics from me. I don't carry around a camera anymore. I did shoot some crummy cell phone video, but the card adapter I need to upload them is at home. Besides, I'm sure there will be thousands of good quality photos and videos on the web any time now from other folks.

On with the report:

Sun...Rain...Sun...Rain.

We had a fantastic lunch at Chef de France. Got a nice window seat and just in time to witness the second rain and wind blast of the day. If you didn't know how warm it was outside, you could swear you were dining in France on a gray winter day! But we were in the perfect spot.

I had Dinner at Chefs de France on opening night exactly 25 years ago today, and I wanted to have dinner there again tonight, but the rest of my party had other plans, so I had to settle for Lunch here instead.

Great waiter...Paul. I ordered Bisque de Homard, Cassolette d'escargots de Bourgogne au Beurre persillé, and then a simple but delicious Croque Monsieur et sa salade verte plate. Wrapped up with a very nicely done Crême Brulée. For today's vin, I selected cheeky Pinot Noir from Burgundy...a 2005 Santenay, Joseph Drouhin. Excellent.

The "Retro Menu" item we had heard each restaurant was going to be offering turned out to be one item from the 1982 Opening Day Menu. In the case of Chefs de France, it was Boeuf Bourguignon at a 2007 price of $24.95...which I didn't try. But the one-item Retro Menu was on a nice pre-printed EPCOT 25 card stock. Collect 'em all, I guess.

A great Anniversary Lunch!

Then it was off to the 2:00pm presentation by Marty Sklar in the Circle of Life theater. Marty did a first rate job and had an interesting presentation complete with multimedia. I especially liked his tribute to the original EPCOT music.

Saw Dave Smith.

We grabbed Fastpasses to Soarin' on the way out of The Land, and then when over to see the EPCOT historical display that Randy Webster and his team at WDI put together on short notice. It's supposed to stay up for 90 days and then they'll make a determination if they will extend its stay. It's really great but fellows...next time I'll lend you my complete EPCOT Center Pre-Opening ticket, so you don't have to display just a used stub!

I go into Guest Relations to type this and no sooner than I sit down and another big wet blow comes from Mother Nature. Perhaps I shouldn't do Live trip reports anymore.

What else. Shirts and Figments sold out. The free Retro map/guides seem to be gone...scarfed up by all the collectors. The generic ones are back out. If you're lucky you might find some still at a few obscure locations, but don't count on it. Lots of pins including the Passholder one were still available as of a few minutes ago, but that line is still darn long. Perhaps this rain will chase some away.

Great festive feeling everywhere on the part of both Guests and Cast Members. Lots of Guests are wearing their original or new Retrowear with old EPCOT Center logos, which is fun to see. And the old music playing everywhere is great to hear, as I mentioned before. And running into a lot of friends and old timers.

Glad I came. Only wish Ralph Kent could have lived to see this. I was supposed to see him this trip, and almost canceled it when he passed away a few weeks ago. We'll toast him tonight and I might swing by what's left of The Boo tonight before heading back to the hotel.

So Long For Now...from (for today, at least)...EPCOT Center! More stuff still to do and see!

• May the F=ma be with you

Those guide maps look great!

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

^^ I want to see one!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast