Exclamation Slight change in Resort Airline Check-in

Resort Airline Check-in (RAC) is the service at WDW owned-and-operated resorts that can be used by people on "participating airlines" to check-in for their flights and check their luggage through to their final destination on the day of their flights. It is like curbside check-in, only it's at your resort rather than at the airport.

It used to be that the minimum amount of time you could use this service before your flight was 3 hours, but as of 10/15/07 it will increase to 4 hours. Since the operating hours of RAC are 5:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m., this means that if your flight home leaves before 9:00 a.m. you will no longer be eligible to use RAC. You can still ride the Disney's Magical Express bus back to the airport, but you'd have to take your luggage to the bus (and have the driver load it underneath).

Also, RAC is only a same-day operation. In other words, you can't use RAC today to check-in for an early flight tomorrow morning.

• I was deleted.

Re: Slight change in Resort Airline Check-in

Hmm.. interesting news! It should be interesting to see how this trickles down through guests and impacts daily activities at Disney resorts.

I can't imagine it'll have any substantial impact at all. We're not talking about DME buses coming 4 hours before flight time, we're talking about people using RAC needing to check in no later than 4 hours prior to flight time.

• time to go

Quote Originally Posted by CleveRocks View Post
    It used to be that the minimum amount of time you could use this service before your flight was 3 hours, but as of 10/15/07 it will increase to 4 hours. Since the operating hours of RAC are 5:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m., this means that if your flight home leaves before 9:00 a.m. you will no longer be eligible to use RAC.
    UAL from MCO to SFO has one and only one direct non-stop which has always left in the early morning hours before 9 AM, typically between 8:00 and 9:00.

I'm pretty much done with MCO. Flying in and out of Tampa is far less of a hassle. The car rental garage is right there on property, so I don't have to waste time waiting for a shuttle bus to the rental place. Both the airfare and car rental rates are far less for TPA than MCO. And I don't have to be at the airport before freakin' 6 AM to go home, either. Security lines are short and quick.

If folks want to spend their entire Orlando vacation on Disney property, that's their choice. But having a car and not being a slave to the Mouse's "we'll get to you when we get to you" transportation system gives me all kinds of freedom that just simplifies everything. No more late buses or wasting time going to resorts other than mine. Plus, I can hop in the car and drive off-property for spontaneous dining without 3-hour waits or groceries/meds than don't cost an arm or a leg. And it allows me to spend some time at Universal. I love the Royal Pacific and always consider it a highlight of any trip to Orlando.

Given the early morning flights that many folks are stuck with, I think it's inexcusable for Disney not to offer this service 24 hrs round the clock. United allows me to check in for my flight the day before, through their web site, between 1-24 hours in advance for domestic and 2-24 hours in advance for international.

Why can't Disney?
    "Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

• Why can't you tune a fish

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSkyDriveBy View Post
    UAL from MCO to SFO has one and only one direct non-stop which has always left in the early morning hours before 9 AM, typically between 8:00 and 9:00.

I'm pretty much done with MCO. Flying in and out of Tampa is far less of a hassle. The car rental garage is right there on property, so I don't have to waste time waiting for a shuttle bus to the rental place. Both the airfare and car rental rates are far less for TPA than MCO. And I don't have to be at the airport before freakin' 6 AM to go home, either. Security lines are short and quick.

If folks want to spend their entire Orlando vacation on Disney property, that's their choice. But having a car and not being a slave to the Mouse's "we'll get to you when we get to you" transportation system gives me all kinds of freedom that just simplifies everything. No more late buses or wasting time going to resorts other than mine. Plus, I can hop in the car and drive off-property for spontaneous dining without 3-hour waits or groceries/meds than don't cost an arm or a leg. And it allows me to spend some time at Universal. I love the Royal Pacific and always consider it a highlight of any trip to Orlando.

Given the early morning flights that many folks are stuck with, I think it's inexcusable for Disney not to offer this service 24 hrs round the clock. United allows me to check in for my flight the day before, through their web site, between 1-24 hours in advance for domestic and 2-24 hours in advance for international.

Why can't Disney?

Because you are taking your bags with you to the airport. Disney is routing them to a seperate hanger, where their contractor does TSA approved inspections of the bags, holds them in a secure loaction, and then routes them to the proper locations so that they get put on your plane.

In addition, most airlines that I have dealt with "turn off" on line check in an hour to two before the flight.

You could book the DME, check in on line the night before, put your bags on the bottom of the bus yourself and leave on the first bus out with no problem

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Because you are taking your bags with you to the airport. Disney is routing them to a seperate hanger, where their contractor does TSA approved inspections of the bags, holds them in a secure loaction, and then routes them to the proper locations so that they get put on your plane.

In addition, most airlines that I have dealt with "turn off" on line check in an hour to two before the flight.

You could book the DME, check in on line the night before, put your bags on the bottom of the bus yourself and leave on the first bus out with no problem

-dave
    Another example of Disney talking guest service to a new level.

• time to go

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    That's what I thought. I'd rather rent the car and fly later in the day out of TPA.

That's what I thought. I'd rather rent the car and fly later in the day out of TPA.

Luckly I can get all sorts of flights out of MCO

My friends sister did this just 6 days ago. She had to get back early in the day for a meeting, so she caught a 8:10 AM flight out.

She was not able to do resort check in, but she was able to bring her bags with her and take the DME bus to MCO.

If she had cared to, she could have checked in via the internet the night before, but since she was going to check luggage anyway, she just checked in when she got there.

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

I'm pretty much done with MCO. Flying in and out of Tampa is far less of a hassle. The car rental garage is right there on property, so I don't have to waste time waiting for a shuttle bus to the rental place. Both the airfare and car rental rates are far less for TPA than MCO.
    I was just at WDW a week ago for Epcot's 25th. Alamo, National, Hertz, and Avis are all on property at MCO. No shuttle ride required. My Alamo rental with 10% AAA discount was $10.43 per day, mid-week no less! Can't imagine getting a car for much less.

From arrival gate to turning the key on my car was perhaps 15-20 minutes total. At Alamo and National at least, you can check-in with a human or at the automated kiosk, and then you just walk out the door to the cars and pick your own car out of all of those in the lot. No elite or preferred membership required. Available to anyone. Couldn't be much easier.

And airfares into Tampa are not always cheaper. Just depends on any route competition and current yield. My last trip from LAX to MCO earlier this year booked on United non-stop round-trip at $278 published! That sure beat the $370+ LAX-Tampa that would NOT have been a non-stop and would have had me on TED part of the way!

That ticket was cheaper than Southwest at the time! And upgradeable to First Class all the way using Mileage Plus perks.

And let's not forget the longer drive from Tampa. Doesn't that offset any time savings regarding Security and such? Tampa does have an advantage for me, in that I get to visit all my cigar friends and shops there, before continuing on to WDW. But that's just a planned thing, and I never fly into Tampa just to avoid MCO.

Personally, I think MCO is one of the better airports out there. Great shops, restaurants, free WiFi, and a United Red Carpet Club (which Tampa does not have), plus only a 30-35 minute drive to Disney vs. almost an hour and a half from Tampa to Disney.

• Vehicle rotating backward

One of the benefits of living in this city is lots of non-stops to everywhere, and MCO is no exception. The downside is flying anything but midweek is expensive because of all the weekend gambling excursions, but they're the reason for the large availability in the first place, so who minds?

I used RCE when I flew Song (defunct Delta) into MCO, but it wasn't an option with Southwest so the second time was a no-go. It was nice enough that I'd like to see the resorts here get into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1guy View Post
    From arrival gate to turning the key on my car was perhaps 15-20 minutes total. At Alamo and National at least, you can check-in with a human or at the automated kiosk, and then you just walk out the door to the cars and pick your own car out of all of those in the lot. No elite or preferred membership required. Available to anyone. Couldn't be much easier.

Rent once with National and you can sign up for the "Emerald Club" - no charge. Then you just fill out the paperwork on line. Then when you get to the airport you don't even need to go to the kiosk. Just walk to the "Emerald Isle" in the garage, take a car (the keys are in them) and hand the person at the gate your license, credit card, and paperwork you printed out.

I use them whenever I travel for business.

-dave

My Alamo rental with 10% AAA discount was $10.43 per day, mid-week no less! Can't imagine getting a car for much less.
    $10.43 a day???

That's less than either of my car payments per month.

Do you think Alamo would consider a 60 month rental with unlimited mileage???

• Little Miss Sunshine

$10.43 a day???

I had gotten a great rate in California this past July, it ended up being like $17 a day for midsize for a week. (out of John Wayne, my parents paid like 3x as much out of LAX).

But $10.43 is amazing!
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

• time to go

I was just at WDW a week ago for Epcot's 25th.
    So was I.

Alamo, National, Hertz, and Avis are all on property at MCO.
    Hertz has always been off-property, unless they moved less than one year ago.

No shuttle ride required. My Alamo rental with 10% AAA discount was $10.43 per day, mid-week no less! Can't imagine getting a car for much less.
    I'm a slave to many rewards programs for assorted and sometimes sordid reasons, including Hertz. Hertz specials/discounts are never that inexpensive, but the rates at TPA are always lower than the rates at MCO, by a hefty amount.

Twenty minutes? At MCO Hertz? I wish!!

And airfares into Tampa are not always cheaper. Just depends on any route competition and current yield. My last trip from LAX to MCO earlier this year booked on United non-stop round-trip at $278 published!
    Even booking three months in advance, you cannot get airfare that low with the non-stop UAL once daily flight from SFO to MCO. Those days are over. UAL owns the non-stop market in Northern California. No other airline offers non-stop flights from the Bay Area to Orlando. And UAL milks it for all it's worth.

That sure beat the $370+ LAX-Tampa that would NOT have been a non-stop and would have had me on TED part of the way!

That ticket was cheaper than Southwest at the time! And upgradeable to First Class all the way using Mileage Plus perks.
    Again, you're flying a different market. Going from SFO to MCO is almost always more expensive than SFO to TPA, especially going through the air traffic wasteland known as Denver International. Even going from SFO to MCO via LAX costs more than SFO to TPA via DEN.

I really hate being a Premiere slave sometimes.

And let's not forget the longer drive from Tampa. Doesn't that offset any time savings regarding Security and such?
    Actually, not by much. I've done the drive from the rental garage to my Marriott resort (don't say it; another rewards program I'm indentured to) in 70 min. Considering that I can get out of TPA in my Hertz rental car much faster than Hertz at MCO, it's not that big of a difference. From gate arrival to hotel at MCO averages about 50 min. Last week, gate arrival to hotel at TPA was about 85 min.

I'm not going to sweat over 35 min of driving, given the money I saved. And not having to arrive at MCO after 9 PM nor having to show up at MCO before 6 AM for departure is heaven! The UAL non-stop to/from SFO does shorten the travel time, but the flight times have always sucked and I just can't justify the cost anymore. It's simply not worth it.

Tampa does have an advantage for me, in that I get to visit all my cigar friends and shops there, before continuing on to WDW. But that's just a planned thing, and I never fly into Tampa just to avoid MCO.
    If you lived in the Bay Area, you just might change that tune.

Personally, I think MCO is one of the better airports out there. Great shops, restaurants, free WiFi, and a United Red Carpet Club (which Tampa does not have), plus only a 30-35 minute drive to Disney vs. almost an hour and a half from Tampa to Disney.

"Almost an hour and a half"?? What are you, like driving 55 on I-4??

And you can take the Red Carpet Club and shove it out your nearest usable exit. Talk about declining by degrees. I'll save my $$$ and ride the peoplemover over and over, or do aerobic workouts around the terminal on the moving sidewalks (lots of fun at ORD when you're snowbound, especially through the neon tunnel).

If I didn't live in SF, I'd probably travel to WDW differently. But in this town, there aren't a lot of options.

And before anyone claims that USAir has a non-stop from SFO to MCO... that's a code share with UAL. Same once-a-day flight.

$10.43 a day???

If you have Costco, it's 25% off... and they usually have a free day on a 5 day or more retal coupon to boot.

I rented a Highlander last April for $14/day =-).