• back to WDW in January

Disney World Employee Arrested On Sex Charge

Authorities arrested a Walt Disney Co. theme-park employee Friday night after he tried to have sex with a detective posed as a 14-year-old girl, the Lake County Sheriff's Office said.
    Detective Chris Loyko said he spent about three hours chatting online with Michael T. Bott Jr., 27, before they decided to meet. Loyko said Bott, of 2227 Star Trail in Clermont, repeatedly warned him that what they were planning was "technically rape."
    "He knew full well that he was talking to a minor and that this was illegal," Loyko said, "but he did it anyway."
    Loyko said Bott confessed at a parking lot near Citrus Tower, where he was arrested. He faces second- and third-degree felony charges and is at the Lake County Jail on $20,000 bond.
    Sourec: Orlando Sentinel

• white and nerdy

Re: Disney World Employee Arrested On Sex Charge

Question: Why does the fact that he is Disney World Employee come up in the very front of the article?

"He works with kids"? Please. Tons and tons of people, who get arrested for things worse than this, work with kids, from teachers to day care workers.

Remember that the most likely scenario for a sexual assault, abuse, or rape is from a well known friend or family member.

Looks like they are trying to make it sound like Disney World is somehow to blame.

If this happened on Disney Property, and the victim was a guest, then it would be different and Disney would be to blame, at least a bit. But in this case the occupation of the pervert has nothing to do with it.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Disney REALLY needs to do better background checks. I mean seriously. This is how many CM's that have been arrested on sex charges in the last few months?

• white and nerdy

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    Disney REALLY needs to do better background checks. I mean seriously. This is how many CM's that have been arrested on sex charges in the last few months?
    background checks only work if they've done it before.
    besides, the employer is completely unrelated to what happened. All it is, is media trying to make it look like you aren't safe at Disney World... Don't fall for it. You are as safe at Disney World as you are anywhere (which is directly tied to how watchful you are over your kids)
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

Quote Originally Posted by thejoshualee View Post
    besides, the employer is completely unrelated to what happened. All it is, is media trying to make it look like you aren't safe at Disney World... Don't fall for it. You are as safe at Disney World as you are anywhere (which is directly tied to how watchful you are over your kids)

Ding!

I work for a school district... and in California they must check EVERYBODY out... (You can't start work, even as a "sub" until cleared by the DOJ on a background/fingerprint search, they call it a "Lifescan") yet... well, you still see Teachers getting arrested on TV every few months.

• Why can't you tune a fish

Quote Originally Posted by thejoshualee View Post
    And have been caught and convicted as well.

Exactly

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

•   
    • Senior Minion

When I was applying for work with the Gas Company here they were THOROUGH with the applicants. It actually took a whole day to make it through, and even then you weren't gauranteed a job! I think that maybe Disney needs to adopt the Gas Company's candidate procedures to ensure that this doesn't happen so much.

The way it works at the Gas Company is that you take a three part test - followed by a psychological exam. You take the first test, then if you pass (which the grade and post results in 30 minutes), you take the second test. Passing that you take a third test. If you are successful on all three parts you are given a psychological test where your answers gauge your mental state (I'm assuming here). Then when all that is done you are given a thorough interview. If everything goes well on all those parts you are then brought into their main office where they do a background check and you are offered a position. This was just for the position of meter reader, since they want people who can be trusted entering into the residences/businesses of customers.

If Disney adopt's this procedure, which takes a lot of time, I'm sure the headaches of hiring someone who might do something like the man in this story will be less likely ... and hopefully be stopped altogether ... hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by TikiRoomLiz View Post
    When I was applying for work with the Gas Company here they were THOROUGH with the applicants. It actually took a whole day to make it through, and even then you weren't gauranteed a job! I think that maybe Disney needs to adopt the Gas Company's candidate procedures to ensure that this doesn't happen so much.

The way it works at the Gas Company is that you take a three part test - followed by a psychological exam. You take the first test, then if you pass (which the grade and post results in 30 minutes), you take the second test. Passing that you take a third test. If you are successful on all three parts you are given a psychological test where your answers gauge your mental state (I'm assuming here). Then when all that is done you are given a thorough interview. If everything goes well on all those parts you are then brought into their main office where they do a background check and you are offered a position. This was just for the position of meter reader, since they want people who can be trusted entering into the residences/businesses of customers.

If Disney adopt's this procedure, which takes a lot of time, I'm sure the headaches of hiring someone who might do something like the man in this story will be less likely ... and hopefully be stopped altogether ... hopefully.

The phone company does the same thing. (Same concept, either access to homes or access to personal information - both are big risks). The psych tests can indicate how honest you are, to a point, but they are not going to determine if you are going to try and have sex with a 14 year old girl 2 years from now.

It's one thing to deny someone a job because of a prior conviction. Its another to deny someone because a test says they may do something in the future.

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

• She was sweet as a peach

I like knowing who has been arrested at DW. It gives me (maybe false) security that they are watching the employees and trying to get rid of the bad ones.

I am the best protector of my child and it would be foolish of me to think that she is perfectly safe at Disney (or anywhere else). I do like knowing that people have been arrested and one less scumbucket is on property.

• May the F=ma be with you

There is no way to tell what will happen from a quick scan. I at 17 years of age have had a background check since I do work with minors. I doubt Disney does a full FBI scan on regular CMs.

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

Quote Originally Posted by WDW Monorail View Post
    There is no way to tell what will happen from a quick scan. I at 17 years of age have had a background check since I do work with minors. I doubt Disney does a full FBI scan on regular CMs.
    I too have had a full background scan. FBI records, mental health records search, and my fingerprints are on file - for firearms permits. The process took about 45 days.

As was said before, all that does is look at my past (which is clean) it has no way of predicting what I will do in the future (which, I also expect to remain clean)

-dave

• Circle of Ancients

There are 40,000+ employees at Disney World. I'm surprised we don't hear about this stuff more often.

I don't have anything additional to add except to agree with everything that TJL has said.

• I was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    And have been caught and convicted as well.
    Those two are key - but beyond that it's also the media that decides what it will highlight. Ever wonder why we don't hear of shark attacks anymore? It hasn't the media's current extreme like it was a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    There are 40,000+ employees at Disney World. I'm surprised we don't hear about this stuff more often.
    More than that. Try 57,000+

And thankfully we and the media don't hear more. This isn't the type of press that really makes sense and is worth so much time and effort. Yes, it is important and newsworthy, but as TJL said it happens countless times with countless individuals in similar jobs/work environments.