Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hey, Phil Holmes ...

It's your old pal, the Spirit AKA WDW1974 ... back with some observations about how my beloved MK is doing under your 'leadership.'

First, let's start with the good, the very good.

MNSSHP keeps getting better and is the only 'hard-ticket' event you'll weasel my hard-earned dollars for. The decorations are terrific on Main Street and love the character statues in the Hub. Let's see if you can make a few more trips to Super WalMart with the Escalade (you're one of the few CMs who can afford $3 a gallon gas) next year and get some seasonal decor for the other lands too. Putting green gels on the lights in Liberty Square are a nice start, but they're a very small item. Let's see more.

Both the Boo To You Parade and Hallo-Wishes are terrific and easily blow out of the water what passes as entertainment for day guests. Just one quibble though, and likely not your fault, but to change out the word 'chop' for 'swap' in the Headless Horseman's ride is really taking political correctness to an absurd level. And how ironic it is that the best MK parade is one that most people will never see? How about a new daytime parade before the 40th (since that parade will be budgeted to go a decade if current business models are followed).

As I've said before, the Mansion redo was great. Fantastic. Now, please, maintain it. Money clearly was spent, and as a shareholder, I'm really tired of watching $$$ get burned by short-sighted decisions (see, plans for no CBJ Christmas show).

Cleanliness was noticeably better than in June-July-August. I couldn't believe I actually saw people with the sweeper machines in the Hub AND on the Tomorrowland Bridge this week. I thought you had put those machines up for bid at Property Control.

And did my eyes deceive me or did you finally get those potholes in Caribbean Plaza's pass-thru fixed?

Now, let's talk about the not-so-good.

While MNSSHP is terrific, having it start while your 'Ghost Host' is telling guests to 'get out' or 'purchase tickets at Ghost Relations' is very bad show. Sure, it's a whole lot easier/cheaper than closing at 6 or 6:30 and clearing the entire park and reopening an hour later -- you know, like they used to do it. But I can't help but wonder how many children's DREAMS get crushed when Mommy and Daddy tell them they can't go to the parties or how many folks get 'guilted' into paying a few hundred more to stay and play into the night. Either way, you damn well know it's bad show ... oh, and c'mon, did you really have to shrink the size of the candy bags? You know the CMs are going to hand out as much candy as they can, so give the little (and big) kids bigger bags. Perhaps, you can advertise Disney's Best Kept Secret on them!

The decorations on Main Street may be nice, but they still don't hide the fact there is nothing of substance in the land anymore. I see the Cinema is going down for major work, perhaps, you can return it to an attraction since you have so much excess retail space that shops are simply closed with black tarps over the windows.

It's truly magical and a DREAM COME TRUE DURING DISNEY'S YEAR OF A MILLION DREAMS that guests can win stays at Cindy's Castle. But you need to make sure they're looking at the castle at all times. If they happen to look down while walking up the Liberty Square ramp they'll notice that you have stopped maintaining the trees, shrubs and flowers and the area is a mess. Here's a hint: if my lawn service can do a better job than what your horticulturists are doing, they ain't doing their job ... unless, of course, they're being told to leave certain areas to save money. Now, how magical would that be?

While the park's cleanliness showed improvement, there was one notable exception. Sunday night, the patio at Pinocchio's was filthy with food and trash left everywhere. What's worse is that at least eight CMs were in the area as you make guests walk thru the patio to get their EMH wristbands. That just isn't acceptable. They should have called custodial, or simply cleaned up the mess themselves. One of the Disney basics.

OK, so the holes in the walls of the Buzz queue have been fixed, but really, masking tape holding the floor together?! C'mon. Do you really think this is acceptable?

In closing, I see some good changes ... but not nearly enough ... and while you and Inoverherheadmeg looked so gawrsh-darn cute playing Pirates in your recent photo-opp, you must know that when it comes to deciding who keeps their job, she has very little control if people in Emer... I mean, Burbank, aren't happy. And there are always those execs in far-flung parks that miss their Orlando country-club lifestyles.

• Why can't you tune a fish

Re: Hey, Phil Holmes ...

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974 View Post
    OK, so the holes in the walls of the Buzz queue have been fixed, but really, masking tape holding the floor together?! C'mon. Do you really think this is acceptable?

Oh come on, give credit where credit is due. Its duct tape. A whole better class of tape than masking tape.

Yeah, I saw that last week and just shook my head.

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

• Little Miss Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Oh come on, give credit where credit is due. Its duct tape. A whole better class of tape than masking tape.

-dave
    I was also in Buzz Lightyear this past week - I guess I just didn't look down. I'll have to do that this weekend.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by nbodyhome View Post
    I was also in Buzz Lightyear this past week - I guess I just didn't look down. I'll have to do that this weekend.

Its right when you get into the queue. Where the "bumpy" flooring starts.

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

• Vehicle rotating backward

Strange. I thought we were over this hill when TDLFAN because praising the park. Guess I was wrong.

I'm mixed on the hard ticket events, having seen MK stressed with crowds who want to see it and then get out before they're forced out. I can understand that they bring out Disney's best show quality, but for once I wish they'd do a hard ticket event in a park that naturally closes early instead of forcing shut the MK for each and every one.

• Once A Skip Always A Skip

-dave
    America's Favorite baby sitter. Wrap em up in duct tape and your worries are over. It's fast, it's easy, it's free...it's duct tape.

My last visit to WDW was in January of 2004, and I honestly didn't notice things were this bad. Have things just been in a constant state of decline, or does the average tourist just not notice compared to the average visitor?
    -"Enjoy the rest of your stay here at Disneyland, where all of your dreams come true...well except for two of them, short lines and cheap food."

• time to go

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974 View Post
    As I've said before, the Mansion redo was great. Fantastic. Now, please, maintain it. Money clearly was spent, and as a shareholder, I'm really tired of watching $$$ get burned by short-sighted decisions.
    Having seen MK's Mansion last week, I am also in awe with this makeover. Immediately upon exiting my first ride, I jumped right back into the standby line. I've never done that before for this HM. And my only regret is that time constraints didn't allow me to ride even several more times! It really is that good!!

I propose a delegation from Team Pixar be sent on unscheduled surprise visits to WDW, to be Uncle John's eyes and ears. What's the point in having WDI do all of this fantabulous work in updating and enhancing park attractions, if local maintenance wanes, allowing these rehabs to fall into a state of disrepair?

Keep 'em on their toes, John. Make sure park execs do their jobs. Imagineering shouldn't have to waste their time and talent on creativity with a shortened shelf life.
    "Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

• Little Miss Sunshine

Its right when you get into the queue. Where the "bumpy" flooring starts.

-dave
    I'll check it out on Thursday. Unless I'm taking pictures, I tend to let things slide right by me. (and I'm not usually looking down for duct tape, money or anything else!)
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

• Banned User

it shouldn't be john lassetter's responsbibility to keep WDW cm's on their toes. that's meg crofton and her staff's job and if she can't do it, then she needs to go back to HR. I love WDW and while I understand cost efficiencies, I also understand quality and what people expect when they pay their money. first timers get what they believe is quality but to be honest i see fewer and fewer first time visitors to the parks when I go. (they all seem to want to brandish those buttons that tells everyone they are disneyworld virgins.) Disney is dependent on return visitors even if they don't say they are. and as a frequent repeat guest I can say that standards have been lowered in areas where they needent be. however things aren't going to change unless people are put into place who truly understand what it is it work at a theme park because that is where they have spent the bulk of their time working. when the parks are headed by those types of managers then things will change until then I am afraid we will have the status quo

I'll check it out on Thursday. Unless I'm taking pictures, I tend to let things slide right by me. (and I'm not usually looking down for duct tape, money or anything else!)

You really cannot miss it. I don't go looking for paint chips or running a finger on the tops of doors for dust (but if I was in charge I would). When you walk into the queue it just screams DUCT TAPE. It's a pretty big spot, and with the rain, the duct tape itself was looking pretty cruddy.

-dave

• Little Miss Sunshine

You really cannot miss it. I don't go looking for paint chips or running a finger on the tops of doors for dust (but if I was in charge I would). When you walk into the queue it just screams DUCT TAPE. It's a pretty big spot, and with the rain, the duct tape itself was looking pretty cruddy.

-dave
    We walked in there the other night, and I didn't notice. I just don't tend to look down much! (i.e. - I missed it).
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

We walked in there the other night, and I didn't notice. I just don't tend to look down much! (i.e. - I missed it).
    A week ago it was so bad, in that it was not all down, that I tripped over it. So you don't always have to be looking down.

• Little Miss Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    A week ago it was so bad, in that it was not all down, that I tripped over it. So you don't always have to be looking down.
    Maybe all these times that I trip over my own feet, it's just duct tape everywhere!

I'm going back to the Halloween Party on Thursday night, so I'll try to make sure to stop into Buzz.

Denise
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania View Post
    Strange. I thought we were over this hill when TDLFAN because praising the park. Guess I was wrong.
    Most times you were.

I'm mixed on the hard ticket events, having seen MK stressed with crowds who want to see it and then get out before they're forced out. I can understand that they bring out Disney's best show quality, but for once I wish they'd do a hard ticket event in a park that naturally closes early instead of forcing shut the MK for each and every one.
    Better yet, why not do things the TDL way, where Halloween and Xmas events are done for REGULAR DAY GUESTS at REGULAR DAY PRICES... Now there is a novel approach to doing great business for your patrons..

• Little Miss Sunshine

Most times you were.

Better yet, why not do things the TDL way, where Halloween and Xmas events are done for REGULAR DAY GUESTS at REGULAR DAY PRICES... Now there is a novel approach to doing great business for your patrons..
    I really like the Halloween parties, though - to be more exclusive, less people, etc. (although I'd have no problem having the Boo to You parade run every night as well).

The Christmas Party doesn't seem so special anymore to me, so I don't really go often.

Denise
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast